Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric impact?

superu

Does anyone make a good and strong electric impact wrench for those of us without an air compressor?

Since doing struts a nd their springs a couple times, I've been thinking life would be a LOT better with an impact gun. BUT without room for or even owning an air compressor, BUT owning extension cords and having electricity at home :rolleyes:, it seems like an electric impact gun/wrinch/drill (with 3/4 or 1/2 drive) would be a good option.

Thoughts, ideas, information. . . .?

I have an early (4 or 5 years old) Harbor Freight 1/2" drive impact tool that still works great. I just recently retired the original battery pack since it no longer held a charge.

I have tried to replace it with the newer HF version twice now; neither one seemed to work at all and I returned them both (not sure what is wrong, but I can't be that unlucky).

Since I couldn't find a good one at HF, I found a nice Dewalt with two battery packs, charger, etc. in new condition on craigslist for $200. Works better than the earlier HF and I love it.

I got a Rigid 18v cordless set (Impact, Drill, Flashlight, Radio, 2 batteries, Charger, Carrying Bag) for $179 (+10% military discount) from Home Depot probably about a year ago. One of the best things I've purchased in a long time. I get tons of use from the Impact. After doing some research on cordless impacts I found the rigid has the best torque (120 Ft/lbs) of the inexpensive options.

If you want a decent one, the Snap-On one's are supposed to be good but beware - they are NiCd powered so if you don't use them at least weekly and cycle the batteries, they will die after sitting for a couple years and you will have to buy new packs. They aren't cheap unit's either but I think the big 1/2" one puts down something like 600 Ft/lbs - on par with many 1/2" air guns.

GD

"Does anyone make a good and strong electric impact wrench for those of us without an air compressor?"

Something like this would serve you well I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kobalt-1-2-120v-420ft-lb-impact-wrench-used-once_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem4398d2b8f3QQitemZ290326755571QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Edited by Quidam

"Does anyone make a good and strong electric impact wrench for those of us without an air compressor?"

Something like this would serve you well I believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kobalt-1-2-120v-420ft-lb-impact-wrench-used-once_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem4398d2b8f3QQitemZ290326755571QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Unfortunately, it's not cordless. But an extension cord is certainly easier to deal with than an air hose.

Unfortunately, it's not cordless. But an extension cord is certainly easier to deal with than an air hose.

I think I might prefer corded. That way you don't have to buy $60-100 batteries every couple years, especially since I probably won't be wrenching with it every weekend.

I have this one for PAP trips and to use in my garage at home:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94855

Overall, its decent. I have found some things it can't undo... Usually the same things my normal Craftsman air impact won't get off as well.

I've owned it for several years, and the battery seems to have held up fine with only occasional use.

This is a decent tool, but if you have the money, I'd definitely try and buy something a bit more expensive... perhaps something with 2 batteries as well.

I was wondering if the battery operated electric impacts are any good.

nipper

I have a low grade Craftsman impact that's pretty good at spinning off sticky

nuts and bolts and sinking them down too, but for breaking stuff loose it sucks.

It broke loose my fender bolts easy enough, but those weren't rusty :-\

It also works good for lug nuts that are already broke loose.

But if you want a real electric impact wrench... :brow:

Twitch

I was wondering if the battery operated electric impacts are any good.

nipper

Father has a Milwaukee 18V cordless Impact gun. It's one of the best on the market. It's about 4-5 years old now and still works great. I think he may have replaced one battery. They are pretty expensive but seem to be worth it. Something like $350

I on the other hand wasted my money on a harbor freight job about 4 years ago. I had no experiance with Harbor freight at that point. I've sinced learned not to buy their battery operated tools. I couldn't even get one set of tire changes out of it on a brand new freshly charged battery. I think I got mine on sale for around $80.

My stepfather bought one of the Goodyear branded ones from Pepboys the other year. I think it was around $100. It seems to be doing well, but he only uses it twice a year.

As for corded, we've got a crafstmen corded that works well. Never had any problems with it, but it doesn't seem to develop as much torque as the Milwaukee cordless does.

I on the other hand wasted my money on a harbor freight job about 4 years ago. I had no experiance with Harbor freight at that point. I've sinced learned not to buy their battery operated tools. I couldn't even get one set of tire changes out of it on a brand new freshly charged battery. I think I got mine on sale for around $80.

That sounds like the one I bought; fortunately I bought the extended replacement warranty and when they could never get it to work properly, I just got all my money back on it (including the extended warranty cost).

I gave them two years to get their act together and tried buying another one. Same experience; couldn't get one set of tire changes out of a fully charged battery. The tipoff was when they didn't have replacement batteries for it. I returned that one too for a refund.

Oddly enough the one I bought 5 or 6 years ago is still working like a champ. I did have to get one battery pack replaced but I consider that normal wear and tear.

Anticipating that the original HF wrench will die someday, I added a Dewalt Kit and found it has more torque than the HF ever had. It came with a charger, two battery packs and case. I bought it new on craigslist for $200.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQLE2

Edited by edrach

I have a Porter Cable Torque Buster that has been serving me well for over 10 years.

Puts out about 265 ft.lbs. (so it says on the side)

It's seen many cars and trucks of various ages, and broke free it's share of stuff on a Kenworth T600.

I have a big compressor and air impacts. But have never had to resort to them yet.

I bought one of these off of ebay 3 years ago, http://cgi.ebay.com/24V-300-Ft-LBS-CORDLESS-IMPACT-WRENCH-2nd-Battery_W0QQitemZ180421016573QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a01ee3bfd thinking that it could not be any worse than what I could get from Harbor freight. So far it has surpassed my expectations. The battery life is sufficient for multiple tire changes and it came with two batteries. I have been able to remove almost every nut or bolt with it, including axle nuts. If you just need something for the weekends it's not a bad choice. If you need one for you job, invest in something better.