Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new welding and cutting equipment! (1024x768 pic)

GeneralDisorder

Thought I would share a picture of my new toys! The woman came into some money and let me spend some of it (I've been half supporting her for a few years). And I've been missing the big welding/cutting gear from work since I was layed off.

So - $1500 later......

welders.jpg

So now I have to build a bottle cart for my torch setup, and probably reiforce the HF welding cart or build a new one. It will be fine for my HF 110v machine but this Thermal Arc is about 4 times heavier and I think it's going to crush that poor cart in short order.

I was REALLY surpised at the weight of the Thermal-Arc 180. We had a TA 251 at work running on 460v and it's been a great machine for years. My welding supply rep says the TA stuff is easily on-par with the Miller offereings but a longer warantee and a bit less expensive (~$150 less). With this I can easily weld 3/8" plate, and I built a 50' 8/3 SOOW extension cord so I can reach anywhere in my garage/shop. I can get all the way out to the driveway if I need to :grin:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Rick

Congrats on the new toys. I agree a bottle cart is in order. Next you'll want a 4 1/2" Grinder, and a good stick welder( handles rusty metal better) try for an AC/DC rig, Oh... bout 200+ amps. I've got an old lincoln that I use for the nasty stuff.

Ed

I inherited an old Wards 220v AC stick machine from my grandfather - I think perhaps there are some bad connections in the pig-tail (it's been extended a good stretch with a couple splices and sections of not-so-nice looking cord). I couldn't make it work the way it was and I already owned the 110v MIG machine so I just stuck it in the corner. I intend to pull it out when I get a chance and go through it. I will chop off the crazy long cord and try again.

I have a good Milwaukie 4.5 grinder so that's covered. Also recently got one of the new "red" Harbor Frieght 10x6 bandsaws - that's a very handy thing to have I must say. Still trying to clean and organize this mess.....

GD

Sounds good - what are we welding?....... Anything we want? :lol:

I fired up the welder last night for some small stuff. Welds like a dream. I can't wait to go shopping for steel :slobber:

My first project is a welding/shop table. I saved an angle-iron frame from a 1980's refrigerated air-dryer that's the perfect size for a table - about 3' x 4'. I have to reconfigure it's height and add a top. Think I'm going to get some 3/16" plate for the top and add a plywood shelf about 8" off the floor.

GD

Thanks! I'm rather pleased with it so far. I need to stock up on steel now.

If you ever move up here we can weld whatever you like. I'm pretty accomplished with a MIG gun and I've done a bit of TIG work. I would really like to build a TIG machine using an alternator and a gas engine. I have an old wood chipper that I've been saving for it's engine and lord knows I have plenty of alternators laying around. Harbor Freight has TIG torches for like $45....

GD

Nice, congrats, I'm jealous. Did you get an industry discount or do you have any advice as to the best place to pick up a set-up like that locally?

I've always had excelent dealings with Quimby Welding Supply. They are a competitor to Airgas I suppose. My former employer used Airgas for our bottle supplier but I never liked them or their product line. They have a lot of "Airgas" house brand stuff and it sucks balls. I bought my first 75/25 gas bottle at Quimby several years ago on a sale price for like $80.

Quimby deals in Miller/Hobart and Thermadyne (Thermal Arc). They have a couple locations in the metro area - I frequent their Tualitin location - it's about halfway out Tualitin Sherwood highway from I-5. The guy there that runs the store is knowledgable and laid back. He gave me pretty deep discounts on the stuff I bought - the Welder was $625 - it was their display model - I think they only stock one at a time. They did have a TA 190 there for $500. It was used but their service department went through it and it's got a 90 day warantee. It's got a BIG Tweco gun on it and I didn't want a machine that large nor that large of a gun - mostly I do 1/4" and smaller. The torch setup was $280. The bottles are actually some of the biggest cost. I think one was $170 and the other was right around $200. But I own them and it's like $27 to fill the O2 bottle (big one). Gas is cheap - bottles are not.

I feel like I got a good deal. Could I have got stuff cheaper? Probably. But I don't mind supporting my local economy, and they are much more likely to treat me right if I have a problem when I take my business there. The machine has a 5 year warantee on the major components, 3 years on the minor stuff - if I have an issue I can just tool on down to the store and have them make it right as they are the service shop for Thermadyne.

Good guys to work with and very helpful. I may have spent a couple hundred more than if I were to buy online, but when you are talking about a purchase of this magnitude - I would rather have the brick & morter location and the face-to-face interaction than the extra $$ in my pocket.

Oh - and if you are going to buy bottles - NEVER buy them from any place except the place you will be having fill them. You WILL have a nightmare of a time getting bottles filled by places that didn't get your business for buying/leasing them. I know people that have bottles in their garage that they can't get filled because of stupid purchases like that. Trust me - they would rather turn you out in the street than get the $25 for the gas. These places frown on that big time.

GD

Oh - and if you are going to buy bottles - NEVER buy them from any place except the place you will be having fill them. You WILL have a nightmare of a time getting bottles filled by places that didn't get your business for buying/leasing them. I know people that have bottles in their garage that they can't get filled because of stupid purchases like that. Trust me - they would rather turn you out in the street than get the $25 for the gas. These places frown on that big time.

GD

Just for a different perspective;

I have never had a problem getting one bottle filled anywhere. We have a bunch of different suppliers in our area, and I've got bottles from Central, Airgas, and Praxair all kicking around my shop. I've never bothered to take specifics ones back to the place of their original acquisition, and I've never had a problem.

Sounds like you have some pissy suppliers in your area. :rolleyes:

Nice score on the welder though. We had alot of TA stuff at the college. It was pretty good.

Sounds like you have some pissy suppliers in your area. :rolleyes:

Sure seems that way. I don't know what their problem is here - maybe it's got something to do with liabilities in my area. I don't know all the laws but as much trouble as we have here there must be something behind it. Most of the problems I've heard about were bottles that were being "leased". As I own all of mine and always go to the same dealer I've never experienced it first hand.

GD

I've heard about were bottles that were being "leased".

GD

"Leased" bottles always cause a pain in the A**, and usually the most likely people to get hassled by lease bottles are the ones whom have never leased a bottle in their lives... :rolleyes:

I've asked ALOT of different suppliers about the lease systems they use, and how they identify their lease bottles. The biggest obvious reason being that I sometimes score a killer deal on bottles at swap meets, garage sales, auctions and the like, and don't want to end up getting hosed by accidently buying a rental, or one in need of recertification. The only straight answer I've ever gotten was from my college's Praxair delivery guy. He said that rental bottles are usually painted rather conspicuously by each supplier, and that some of them are stamped uniquely near the pressure test certification stamp. That's about all the info I've ever been able to acquire. I do honestly think that the whole rental problem is one to be more wary of when dealing with much larger bottles, like on a set of contractor size torch bottles. I just don't think many small bottles get rented.

I have had a guy at Central try to give me a rental bottle while I was trading a "K" oxy tank I owned for a full one. I confronted the guy pretty quickly, and he acted like it was a mistake. I wonder just how often that happens to less savy customers.... :-\

I guess my only lesson has been to thoroughly check used bottles before purchase, and keep an eye on the new ones you get when you trade.

I've always had excelent dealings with Quimby Welding Supply.

Quimby deals in Miller/Hobart and Thermadyne (Thermal Arc). They have a couple locations in the metro area - I frequent their Tualitin location - it's about halfway out Tualitin Sherwood highway from I-5. The guy there that runs the store is knowledgable and laid back.

Thanks GD. That's what I was looking for. I have had varied experiences with Airgas myself.

I feel like I got a good deal. Could I have got stuff cheaper? Probably. But I don't mind supporting my local economy, and they are much more likely to treat me right if I have a problem when I take my business there. The machine has a 5 year warantee on the major components, 3 years on the minor stuff - if I have an issue I can just tool on down to the store and have them make it right as they are the service shop for Thermadyne.

Good guys to work with and very helpful. I may have spent a couple hundred more than if I were to buy online, but when you are talking about a purchase of this magnitude - I would rather have the brick & morter location and the face-to-face interaction than the extra $$ in my pocket. .

I couldn't agree more. Some tools are ok to go cheap on, but not these. You realize that your project list just got longer though right. Oh well, who wants to get to the end of the list anyway. You can just build bigger, better, faster now.

You realize that your project list just got longer though right. Oh well, who wants to get to the end of the list anyway. You can just build bigger, better, faster now.

My project list has been out of control for years now. Some days I just twirl in circles not knowing what to do first. Currently I have 7 Subaru's here - only 4 of which are drivers and only 1 *maybe* parts car. All of them are project cars to one degree or another.

Then there's the house. I have a leaky water-heater that I haven't had time to replace (new unit is sitting here in the box), yard to care for, ageing parents, girlfriend, etc, etc.

At least my house is clean since I started hiring a maid for 3 hours every other week :rolleyes:

GD

My project list has been out of control for years now. Some days I just twirl in circles not knowing what to do first. Currently I have 7 Subaru's here - only 4 of which are drivers and only 1 *maybe* parts car. All of them are project cars to one degree or another.

yard to care for, etc, etc.

At least my house is clean since I started hiring a maid for 3 hours every other week :rolleyes:

Glad I am not the only one. I have to enforce strict personal discipline on my project work in order to not twirl perpetually...and I have only got 4 Subarus and a Jeep.

I currently live on 10 acres of property. I thought it was really cool at first.

The etc, etc keeps getting in my way. Sometimes I fantasize about actually getting to the end of my project list :rolleyes:, but I know I would just make another one.

My parents and brother do the maid thing, and I have to say it seems like money well spent. I may do that myself in the near future.

To stay on topic...if you ever build a TIG welder I would really like to check it out. I want a TIG, but can't afford one at this time. BTW you might check out prices on old wood chippers before you turn one into a TIG, they seem to hold their value like tractors.

My parents and brother do the maid thing, and I have to say it seems like money well spent. I may do that myself in the near future.

It's TOTALLY worth it. For $150 a month, I never touch a cleaning product, vacuum, etc. She cleans every appliance, toilets, shower, dusts every surface, washes the sheets, makes the beds, folds laundry, etc, etc. I can get $150 worth of work *I like doing* done in the time she's at the house every month. She does a better job than I would do (if I did it at all :rolleyes:), it gives me an excuse to pick-up and organize before she comes, and I'm helping her out - she's single with two teenagers and no formal employment other than her maid service clients. I could give you a reference if you like. My mother also uses her and she's done excelent work for both of us. She's willing to travel a bit - comes out to West Linn from Troutdale to work for myself and my mother.

To stay on topic...if you ever build a TIG welder I would really like to check it out. I want a TIG, but can't afford one at this time. BTW you might check out prices on old wood chippers before you turn one into a TIG, they seem to hold their value like tractors.

Perhaps we could collaberate on the project. The wood chipper I have for a donor is not worth beans I'm afraid. It's a 1960's Craftsman - has no parts availibility at all, and my grandfather pretty much used it all up. It's been fabbed on with rivets, welds (stick), and it's pretty well toast. Even my grandfather had to eventually admit it was too far gone to function as anything more than a yard ornament and bought himself a new chipper that he used for the last 10 years of his life. The old machine just sits in my shed. It takes ether to start the old Techumseh engine but I'm pretty sure I can make it run (hasn't in 15+ years I would bet). It was drained of fuel and it's been indoors that whole time.

GD

Perhaps we could collaberate on the project.
I am totally into it, let me know when it comes up in the project rotation :lol: I currently live fairly close to West Linn, but I am planning on buying a house sometime in the next few months somewhere closer in to Portland (then the housecleaner might happen). Close enough either way. Sounds like a worthy project to me.

• 1 month later...

Not that you care but i grew up in west linn, you live there currently? I live in lake oswego now, always funny reading that someone lives so close.

On a related note, sweet setup! I have always wanted a good oxy/acetylene torch, they just seem so damn useful.

I too usually deal with quimby in tualatin. Good people and they have always been honest and helpful. Considering I made my first large purchase there when i was a teenager, thats saying alot. Most places wouldn't give me the time of day.

Looks like you have plenty of welding and cutting fun in your future!

Edit: and while I'm new here and you dont know scat about me i think i have some good stuff for your home made tig project. I picked up a high frequency box a couple years ago to use for a tig setup. Never got around to using it and its collecting dust in my storage unit. It needs some TLC but its a sweet machine and with a good power supply(ac/dc) and torch i think you could have a very sweet setup for thousands less than it would cost normally.

Edited by coldfusion21

Not that you care but i grew up in west linn, you live there currently? I live in lake oswego now, always funny reading that someone lives so close.

Yep - still live in the West Linn. Grew up here and went to West Linn HS.

On a related note, sweet setup! I have always wanted a good oxy/acetylene torch, they just seem so damn useful.

Me too - I just got done cutting out some new peices to rectify the problems with my lifted wagon. I need it out of the shop and I've been working on new strut tower blocks in my spare time.

Looks like you have plenty of welding and cutting fun in your future!

I hope so! I do enjoy it when I get the chance. There is always something to be done - a tool to make, or something to fix that's perfect for the welder.... or could use a little treatment from the rosebud :rolleyes:

Edit: and while I'm new here and you dont know scat about me i think i have some good stuff for your home made tig project. I picked up a high frequency box a couple years ago to use for a tig setup. Never got around to using it and its collecting dust in my storage unit. It needs some TLC but its a sweet machine and with a good power supply(ac/dc) and torch i think you could have a very sweet setup for thousands less than it would cost normally.

Now that's something that might be very useful. I assume it's designed to run from a DC buzzbox? It should be possible to run it from say a 140 amp alternator then shouldn't it? Although it might be cheaper to just find a DC buzzbox on craigslist since I have 50 amp's of 220 in my garage huh? :)

Please - tell me more :)

GD

Even went to the high school! Very funny. I lived in west Linn till i was 22, born and raised. Not trying to be nosey but what part? I grew up over in Willamette on ostman. Right where they just built those 23 or so new houses. Lived off sunset for the last couple years before moving to LO.

I had a welder (before moving somewhere where i couldn't) and honestly you almost need a torch if you have a welder. Really completes the package.

I have some pictures somewhere of the unit. I would say your best bet (and my plan) was to pick up a real nice (and large) power supply off craigslist for cheap and use that. Then you just need a torch and a foot pedal. The box isn't in perfect condition, i think both of the flow meters for the gas are in need of repair or replacement and there are some other little things IIRC. Haven't messed with it in a good while.

I would be willing to pass it on to you for next to nothing if you plan to actually try and use it (and maybe for some welding and cutting demo's :) )

Even went to the high school! Very funny. I lived in west Linn till i was 22, born and raised. Not trying to be nosey but what part? I grew up over in Willamette on ostman. Right where they just built those 23 or so new houses. Lived off sunset for the last couple years before moving to LO.

Same - I'm in Willamette as well. I would rather not disclose in open forum my exact address, but if you remember where the Sentry was when you were a kid - I'm about a block east of that.

I have some pictures somewhere of the unit. I would say your best bet (and my plan) was to pick up a real nice (and large) power supply off craigslist for cheap and use that. Then you just need a torch and a foot pedal. The box isn't in perfect condition, i think both of the flow meters for the gas are in need of repair or replacement and there are some other little things IIRC. Haven't messed with it in a good while.

Well if it's something that parts can be found for without much trouble I'm willing to give a go at repairing it.

I would be willing to pass it on to you for next to nothing if you plan to actually try and use it (and maybe for some welding and cutting demo's :) )

That would be a lot of fun - I'm just about to do some more cutting and welding - I'm going to finish up those strut tower blocks for my wagon. I've got the top and bottom plates nearly done - now I just have to fab some peices to space them apart the required 3.5" and do some mock-up work on the car.

Perhaps after Thanksgiving we can give it a try. I know a very good welder that has a DC buzzbox we could likely use to try out the box. I'll talk to him about where I might find a torch and pedal and see if he is willing to help get it going. He is over in Happy Valley off Sunnyside so very close. He's much more familar with TIG than myself.

What kind of Subaru's do you have BTW? I could about fill a parking lot with my collection :rolleyes:

GD

Same - I'm in Willamette as well. I would rather not disclose in open forum my exact address, but if you remember where the Sentry was when you were a kid - I'm about a block east of that.

Ya, i understand, just was curious about the area. I've always really liked West Linn and the surrounding area, I too will likely be here for a good while.

I just barely remember the sentry, I remember it more as a Thriftway.

Well if it's something that parts can be found for without much trouble I'm willing to give a go at repairing it.

I think so. I will pull it out of my storage unit in the next couple days and give it a once over and see what i can find. If you have someone that is more familiar with TIG then maybe he could check it out too, let you know if its gonna be something useful or not.

That would be a lot of fun - I'm just about to do some more cutting and welding - I'm going to finish up those strut tower blocks for my wagon. I've got the top and bottom plates nearly done - now I just have to fab some peices to space them apart the required 3.5" and do some mock-up work on the car.

Perhaps after Thanksgiving we can give it a try. I know a very good welder that has a DC buzzbox we could likely use to try out the box. I'll talk to him about where I might find a torch and pedal and see if he is willing to help get it going. He is over in Happy Valley off Sunnyside so very close. He's much more familar with TIG than myself.

What kind of Subaru's do you have BTW? I could about fill a parking lot with my collection :rolleyes:

GD

Ya, I have a pretty open schedule and I am always interested in meeting local people.

I only have one subaru (for now) a first gen legacy. Had an 89 DL I managed to mangle and then sell. You may have seen it, last winter in the snow I managed to hit a parking curb by the subway at a decent amount of speed. Bent the control arm and broke the axle, and bent the unibody where the control arm attached. Sat in the Albertsons lot for a couple weeks, then Les Schwab for a few more.

Shoot me a PM of when your free, I can drag some of that stuff over and maybe check out the collection if you dont mind showing off.

I think so. I will pull it out of my storage unit in the next couple days and give it a once over and see what i can find. If you have someone that is more familiar with TIG then maybe he could check it out too, let you know if its gonna be something useful or not.

Talked with my friend - his box doesn't do DC unfortunately but depending on how the high-freq box is setup it may work with an AC box. He claims there are "much better" TIG machines out now....... I'm sure he will help though - he's just being high and mighty. He has a $2500 Lincoln sqaure wave at work.

Ya, I have a pretty open schedule and I am always interested in meeting local people.

I only have one subaru (for now) a first gen legacy. Had an 89 DL I managed to mangle and then sell. You may have seen it, last winter in the snow I managed to hit a parking curb by the subway at a decent amount of speed. Bent the control arm and broke the axle, and bent the unibody where the control arm attached. Sat in the Albertsons lot for a couple weeks, then Les Schwab for a few more.

Shoot me a PM of when your free, I can drag some of that stuff over and maybe check out the collection if you dont mind showing off.

I'll PM you maybe later this weekend or next week. I have been aquireing quite a few gen 1 legacy's over the last few years and I have a good stash of parts now.

GD