Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brothers mint 92 sedan needs a tuneup

My parents bought my almost 16 year old brother a 92 legacy with 68k miles on it. The thing is in mint condition! I told my parents I would help him tune it up and get it all ready so that when he turns 16 he can drive it.

My first car when I was 16 was a 84 wagon that I did lots of repairs on so I do know how to work on these cars a little bit. I was wondering what should be done on this car? I drove it and it runs like a top. Here is what I was thinking of replacing

Plugs

Air Filter

PCV

Fuel Filter

Oil Change

Coolant Change

What about the rear diff fluid and Transmission fluid? Its an auto if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys, I used the search function to look for stuff on tuneups but was kinda coming up with very little.

Your on the right track. Probably a good idea to do a timing belt change including the idlers to as the stock belt is due at 60k.

For the tranny seems now adays that leaving original tranny fluid if it shifts fine is better then changing it creating a problem especially if it looks darker then usual. But changing the front and rear diff fluid is a good idea. Remember the front diff dipstick is on the passenger side of the tranny :)

Sounds like a good deal take some pics too!

Sounds like you've got a pretty good list going. Was the timing belt done recently? At 68k it's due.

Plugs, the most basic NBGK V-powers are fine. Might want to replace plug wires also--Subaru OEM are best.

When you change the PCV clean out the hose leading to it too.

Rear diffs are rarely checked by people so it might be wise to drain and fill. Removing the plugs can be a chore, they're always tight--just make sure you remove the top one before you open up the bottom!

ATF--check the condition of the fluid. Might want to do a few drain-and-fills to freshen it up.

Also might be wise to check the brakes--pads, discs and grease the slider pins, fresh brake fluid and bleed the lines if you're really feeling ambitious!

Post a pic of the car sometime. My daughter had a '92 sedan in Spokane, now it belongs to her brother in Seattle. Love that car!

You definitely want to change the trans fluid. If the car is in good shape then it has probably been carefully driven and there won't be any risk with changing the fluid for good measure.

Timing belt, idler pulleys, water pump, crank and cam seals, maybe reseal the oil pump for good measure. Then the usual plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter, oil change. Run a half can of Seafoam in the intake and a half can in the tank and you'll be good to go.

I've got a receipt right here for a timing belt change at 57k back in 2003.That means the car had 11k put on it in the last 6 years. My parents got it from the old lady across the street that quit driving recently. I'll get some pics here soon. You should see under the hood, there is hardly any dirt or anything. It does look like both inner boots are torn but I haven't heard any noise out of them.

One other thing to take a good look at with such low mileage and with its age are all the rubber hoses (vacuum, fuel, coolant, brake flex lines) on the car. They stand a good chance of being original, and could be brittle or dry-rotted depending on where the car lived. Generally easy and cheap to fix, but a real problem if one goes in the middle of nowhere.

Basically just flex the hoses with your hands and look for cracks, brittleness, etc.

Its awd actually.

I'm jealous myself because when I was 16 my parents definitely didn't buy me a car. I had to buy one with my own money. So I bought an 84 4wd wagon for 700 bucks. Had that car till last year when I bought my 08 impreza.

The middle brother has a 94 legacy wagon that he drives around while he is at college. Were kinda a subaru family. It all started with my dad having a subaru when we were younger and then it kinda made sense for each of the kids to get one with the winters we have around here and we are all big skiers so it made even more sense.

I hope he doesn't trash this car since he will be 16 and dumb. But, both me and my other brother got cars when we were sixteen and neither of us has ever wrecked or trashed one yet, so maybe he'll be ok?

But, both me and my other brother got cars when we were sixteen and neither of us has ever wrecked or trashed one yet, so maybe he'll be ok?

Yeah, he'll be okay. Talk with him, help him learn the beauty of a Subaru, show him some basic maintenance, how to check the oil and fluids, change filters, whatever.

He'll be okay because you're his big brother and he looks up to you!

(Okay, 'nuff preaching for now!!!)