Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Porsche 944

So, anybody know much about them?

I've read everything I can find, and am seriously considering buying one. :banana:

I won't say how much or where, but I really want it.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them?

I know a Porsche mechanic, so if I need some serious help, I can ask him.

But for now, I'm still trying to find his number, so any advice is valid right now.

Twitch

I guess I have some experience in this department. Three of my friends, all in the same span of time, bought three 944s of various trims and years. All three were bought on a budget or with purchase price as a major deciding factor. All three were maintained by the owners, for the most part and the three cars combined to cover just about every repair imaginable. From their experiences, this is what I have gleened...

Parts are expensive. Pelican Parts is a good place to shop, plus they have helpful, USMB-esque forums!

Most 944s were originally purchased by less affluent enthusiests leaving most with spotty maintenence histories. Buy the best example money will buy and have it checked by a Porsche mechanic before cash changes hands. If the timing belt breaks, engine=toast. A special tool is needed to install and torque the belts, so be weary of repairs in this department by the home mechanic.

Check your grounds!

You can carry three guys and three Peugeot wheels/tires or two guys and a full set of pugs.

If you install a stereo with a sub, ditch the spare tire and build a box to fit under the rear carpet. More cargo space, out of the eyes of theives.

Handles great, looks great, lots of OEM and aftermarket love compared to Subarus and some collector value built into the later Turbo S and Silver Rose editions/968.

Not AWD...

I'll close this brain dump by saying that all three of these friends own/ed turbo charged Subarus after selling their 944s. 1991 Legacy SS, 1994 Legacy Touring Wagon, 2002 WRX sportwagon.

• 1 month later...

My neighbor has a 944S, I have a E30 BMW M3, we both have the same mechanic, and has driven them both. The mechanic says my BMW has more power than the Porsche and in more refined. The 924, which is what the 944 is based on, was suppose to be an Audi, and was forced to become a Porsche by management.

Honestly i can think of a better porsche to buy the a 944. I personally like the 928s myself but i understand those have a bit of problems as well. Honestly i like porsche but i think its mainly a name thing. There are cars you can get more for your money. Again i say i do really like porsche but a cheep used one i dont know if it would be worth it.

I know a ton about 944's I've owned 3 and currently own a 951 (944 Turbo). The turbo's are the best bang for the buck as far as fast goes.

The only main problem is the water pump. Make sure it's had an updated water pump installed. Other then that all of my 944's have been very solid. The only time I ever HAD to replace anything was the water pump.

You can find tons of parts for them. There are about a dozen after market companies that make every last nut and bolt for the car and you can also find the parts at the dealer too. Shop around and use ebay/craigslist.

Here it is before and after I did the paint and body work.

dsc00796pu6.jpg

Weeeell, unfortunately I was unable to purchase it :(

But I hope to find another to buy.

My neighbor has a 944S, I have a E30 BMW M3, we both have the same mechanic, and has driven them both. The mechanic says my BMW has more power than the Porsche and in more refined. The 924, which is what the 944 is based on, was suppose to be an Audi, and was forced to become a Porsche by management.

And actually the 944 was not based on the 924, but on its own platform.

The 944 is a true Porsche platform, not a rebadge by any stretch of the

imagination.

Hence why parts are FREAKING expensive.

New radiator $600+!!! :eek:

Sorry for the rant, but I have a Porsche Mechanic as a friend :)

Twitch

PS: I got an 83 GL Wagon instead ;)

That depends on what you consider a true Porsche. Most people consider a true Porsche as a rear mounted air cooled car. Most of the 911 guys point there noses in the air when you say you have a 944. It's true that the 924 is mostly made up of Audi parts, but on just about every part on my 951 I found Volkswagen & Audi logos. They are all very intertwined. The 924 is the true black sheep of the Porsche family though. It's kind of like the Justy of the Porsche world. There was only one good 924 and that was the 924 carrara gt turbo. Very rare and very cool car. The progression of this platform of Porsche went from 924 to 944 to 968. So even though the 944 doesn't share a lot of the parts form the 924 it's still based on the same platform. I my opion the best car all around car out of the 3 is the 944 (I like the turbo). There were a few versions of the 944 though. The base 944 (a n/a 2.5L I4 8v, The later models got a 2.7L engine 1988 & 1989 I think), The 944S (a n/a 2.5L I4 16v), The 944 Turbo (a turbo 2.5L I4 8v), The 944 Turbo S (a larger turbo 2.5L I4 8v) & The 944 S2 (a n/a 3.0L I4 16v). Also the 1985.5 and newer models got an updated interior. Well that's enough useless information for now.:)

• 3 weeks later...

i had the chance to drive a '79 911sc. awesome car, very fast the two things i didn't like about it were the heavy steering and the vauge feeling i got from the gearbox but i think thats because 1: its based off a vw transaxle and 2: the linkage had to be pretty long. I also considered a 944 i had my mechanic friend look up how long it takes to do a timing belt which has to be done ever 30-45K!!!! and it was 5 hours! that was the major deciding point needless to say i passed. IMO it'd be a good 2nd car one to goof off with. If you have the money to dump into it that is.