Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat/brumby/284mv - track/drift build

well, im bored, so here is a complete spec list and stages of build of my truck

so here it is taking shape now, my truck, finally getting some power!

started off as a standard EA81, single hitachi carb power truck, found on ebay UK in mint condition, which has now changed drastically over the past two years, and yet to change more yet!

here is how its been for the last year odd, with a few small alterations here and there after this piccy was taken

05072008085.jpg

05072008084.jpg

05072008083.jpg

05072008087.jpg

28092008241.jpg

the love of old skool rally cars and AE86 and the like drift cars and the like, inspired me to modify the thing that i love, and all i have ever wanted, i love imprezas and all that, but i have fallen big time for the EA's in the last few years! hence the changes!

so after a spec list including:

-subaru 'lowbar' rollbar

-2 maxtel 100W lights

-4 55W fog/driving lights

-Custom made tonnou cover

-Cherry bomb 3" straight through back box

-Facet competition fuel pump

-K&N style breather filters

-high voltage coil

-armtech electronic rev limiter

-52mm tachometer

-52mm oil pressure guage (both in a pillar mount)

-rally flaps

-K&N air filter

-A bar instead of bullbar

-3rd brake light

-weller style, white 8 spoke 16x6 rims, running yoky 205/45/16s

-sparco sprint 5 buckets

-lowered 40mm all round

-sparco rally steering wheel

-bumper bumpettes removed

-tinted rear lights and indicators

-sub woofer and some decent components

its turned out as it is now

after much buggering around with front driveshafts, i gave in, and now run RWD perminently, and this is how its gonna stay! hence the want to make it a more performanced based truck

then came the time for some power

the new long block

DSC00661.jpg

the parts altogether, which include SUB 4 dualport heads (ready to go off and be machined) and the matched weber IDF 40's

DSC00662.jpg

no more engine! lol

DSC00663.jpg

all the parts again

DSC00664.jpg

the old engine!

DSC00665.jpg

the underneath, with the crossmember alteration to fit the extra exhaust due to the dual ports rear port location (not finished, just a basic shape)

DSC00670.jpg

all in all, the engine has

-highlift custom cam from SUB4

-Dual port heads, skimmed for compression uprate

-Twin 40 IDF webers with custom inlet manifolds

-4 branch custom stainless exhuast manifold and alterted crossmember

-high quality bearings, seals, rings all renewed throughout with a brand new old pump

-lightend and rebalanced flywheel

-SUB 4 water circulatory system

more to come so damn soon! including front spillter, adjustable shocks and coilover conversion within the next few weeks!

Edited by backinbrat

na man, i got ya 100%, it has been a concern of mine, and something i will attend to in the near future, just wanna get it back on the raod, to sort out any teathing problems with the engine, got any intial ideas on a solid RWD conversion? could i do somin with the original trans?

There's nothing that can be done with the original transmission - unfortunately the 4 speed's are complex little items and the output shaft is not inline with the transfer shaft. It would require a lot of machine work and recasting to change it.

I haven't looked into it heavily, but I would start by looking at Nissan truck transmissions. The Nissan stuff from the 80's is about as close as you will find to Subaru's designs. They used a lot of the same parts from the same vendors and there is a surprising amount if interchangability. It will need an adaptor plate for sure, but I think it's worth checking out.

GD

well, the flywheel came back from the machinists today, looking shweeeet, and 2.5kg lighter :banana:

DSC00673.jpg

and in reply to the lowering question, simply cut the springs by one coil on the front, and clocked the torsion bar a notch on the rear, then the 16" wellers, i cant tell you the offset, cause i dont know! i can check next time im up the garage

now im just waiting for the restof the machine work to be done:rolleyes:

Dude that is a freakin sweet brat, I would look into a S13 chassis Nissan 240sx transmission. They are a DIME per dozen at the local wrecking yards and pretty tough. A friend of mine has a 240 and has the SR20DET Blacktop (240HP) through the stock (non-turbo) transmission and it holds up well. I think they might break if you exceed 300HP, but without a STI engine, you don't have to worry too much about that!:lol:

Also, look into doing the Impreza GC8 Hub/spindle conversion while you are at it, because the brakes are better (expecially for competition) and you can get name brand performance suspension components for it. Suberdave runs TIEN's for an 05+ legacy with EDFC's. Check out his site!

http://www.suberdave.com/subaru/Leone/flex/index.htm

I would like to someday build a drift wagon to compete in some drift events for fun.:grin:

ah, i shall look into a s13 transmission, that might be worth pursuing, as well as a rear LSD, which im also on the look out for, if anyones got one? and also a big pleasy is rear discs, both these items are obsolete over here!

i'll check out that link when i can, but techno toy tuning can provide adjustable weld on spring seats and camber/caster plates for this with only a little redrilling required, and then putting just the shocks or some soft sprung adjustable coilovers on the rear with the torsion bar, ideally im after the least hasstle route, it may be worth considering

and i highly doubt this will be used in competition, its just my love child really, and i wanna do a few drift what ya brung days, and generally have a giggle, be pretty sick if you saw it on tv for the european drift championship though :P

the sparcos mount quite simply really, i got the idea off subarubrat.com, cut 2 pieces of box section to the same length as the original seat runners, then weld on 2 pieces in the right place at each end, drill some holes in it, wah lah, you have custom seat runners that will take pretty much any bucket seat!

Edited by backinbrat

Why stop at just the rear end?

Lets me honest, torsion rear suspensions are ancient.

Just as easy you could fab up a 4 link to a solid axle, or even do a subframe swap out of a s13/14/r32.

yeah i would subframe it, and use the J30 diff. The last one I bought cost me $45 at Pick-n-Pull! They had like 6 j's out there and 4 had diffs, I got mine from a 95k mi wrecked up front J30.

DRIFT TRUCK FTMFW! Its unibody so it counts!!!!

hmmm, this infinity J30, i have never seen one, and not seen one in the UK! they dont even import infinitys offically here! lol

the S13 route is one i might well look into, theres shed loads of them over here, and they all just blow up haha! so planty of LSD's im sure there are kicking about!

would rather keep it all subaru really, full coilovers would be nice, would i right in saying they were on the RX's and similar? but i will look out for alternatives!

I do like those wheels... I'm so tempted to do a road going awd leone but ....:-\

i really want a leone, do a drift build on that, that would be sick! lol

i need a 4 seater ideally! its only me and one other that i can transport around!

anyone know where i could get one, a EA81 shape one, sedan, if theres one avalible, let me know, and it cant be 2wd or auto! lol!

oh, lol, just so happans theres a 2wd auto one on ebay AU lmao! well tempted but ive got enough projects! would just like a 4WD one, then pop the front shafts, that would be so rood! lol put the rims i got on my truck now on it, then drop it a bit, so did they come in 4WD format? and i have seen yours on youtube, think you sent it to me, with the new at the time exhuast system

• 3 weeks later...