Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Delta Cam roll call

Delta Cam

i swore i read somewhere that you did certain grinds for the ej22 based on the rockers you had.

like only a torque grind for the earlier hydo/non roller and only a "hot rod" grind for the later solid/rollers.

is that true?

i'm piecing together a 2.2/2.5 franky motor and was thinking of running the torque grind because the heads probably wont flow enough to take advantage of the upper gains of the "hot rod" grind. but i like me some roller rockers and solid lifters.

• 2 weeks later...
It won't give it much of a lope. This is a torque style cam. We have a bigger HP cam but you will lose some of the low end torque.

Ken

Ok first I need a set for my girls loyale that Im installing a EJ22 from a 95 Legy. Im also using a 4eat 4.444 so I want the torque cams on hers. I can send them to you next week after the show. Hows the turn around time? I will also be doing a set for the 95 Imp ej22 we have that Im going to frankenmotor it. So not sure if Im going tq or HP cams on that one but itll be a few weeks before those ones.

Thanks Clay

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with Delta... Installed the cams a couple months ago in my fresh 95 2.2. Installed the shims under the adjusters and it has very loud valvetrain noise. Only 500 miles on the engine and it was dead quiet with the stock cams.

Been trying to work with Ken at Delta to resolve the problem. I took some lift measurements and it appears that I was sent the wrong grind per Ken.

To make a long story short... two months have past and I amstill waiting for Delta to send the proper replacement cams. All I have been getting is promises from them, but no results. Plus they haven't credited me for my cores as of yet.

I will look elsewere for my next camshaft purchase.

Gordon

Ive heard nothing but good things about delta cams to be honest..... every board i read says great things and thats ALL they recommend. everyone makes mistakes........

btw i have a 95 legacy wagon ej22e and i put a big exhaust and cold air intake on it..... i lost lots of bottom end with the exhaust..... should i get the torque grind? and how long does it take to get them back once theyre shipped out to you guys?

thanks!

-jarrid

I did a bit of checking before and read good things about them.

Just so you know, I am no a constant complainer like so folks that post on the web, In fact... This is the first time I have posted about a company that I have had an issue with.

I own a sucessful fuel injector cleaning & flow testing business (WitchHunter Performance), and at times things happen, but it's all how the problems are taken care off is what really matters.

I'll elaborate a bit:

I ordered the cams and was told that the would ship in 2-3 days, after 10 days I called and they arrived 4 days later.

Installed them a week later and it ran well, but the valve train was clicking very loud. It is embarrassing to drive.

Called Ken the next day and he sugested that I may have a lash ajuster problem so I bought a set of new ones from them. I pretty much knew that it wasn't the problem but since everything else in the enigine was new, I did it anyway. It made no difference.

I talked to Ken again and he asked me to measure the lift, so I did and gave him the information. The indicated that I may have been shipped a non-roller cam by mistake. He then said that I could install another shim to take up the slack. I wasn't thrilled about doing that, but it sounded like an easy way out at the time.

Weeks past and I didn't get the shims, I called him again and he then said that it would be best for them to grind me another set of cams. I said that it would be best also.

A couple weeks past and I did not receive them, I called again and the said thet they would ship in a couple days. Ten days later I called and he said that they would ship that day. Four days later I called and said that I did not get them and was told that they did not ship them and now they want me to pull the out and verify the numbers on them... That was yesterday. I had been nice until that moment and told him that if I don't get a new set within a week I will contact my credit card company and the Better Business Bureau.

That's the story.

It just seems that anything that Ken said all along, didn't happen.

I feel that I have given them every chance to make things right before posting. I can't even put the old cams in since they were sent back (five weeks ago) for cores and my card has not credited as of today.

Sorry for the long post.

Gordon, as we discussed Friday I take this responsibility on myself. Your order has indeed been a problem. I am not entirely sure what the problem is either. I did not realize that this has been going on for this long. I will try to get them out tonight so you'll have them tomorrow. A lot of it depends on when they get done and when UPS arrives for packages. But, I will try.

Ive heard nothing but good things about delta cams to be honest..... every board i read says great things and thats ALL they recommend. everyone makes mistakes........

btw i have a 95 legacy wagon ej22e and i put a big exhaust and cold air intake on it..... i lost lots of bottom end with the exhaust..... should i get the torque grind? and how long does it take to get them back once theyre shipped out to you guys?

thanks!

-jarrid

You will usually lose bottom end when you install big exhaust and intake. The torque grind will help some but it will not restore the bottom end as it was stock. You may want to try a smaller exhaust and a set of torque cams.

Usually, these cams are shipped out within a couple of days.

Ken

Hello all...

Received my replacement cams from Delta a couple days after posting my issues I was having with them.

Had to wait until the weekend to install them. Replacing them went well, took about 3 hours and I am very happy with the outcome.

Now the valvetrain noise is pretty much quiet as stock and the engine is running very well. It will pull easily to 7K and no noticable loss of any bottom end.

Although I had an issue with Delta and had to post the problem here. I was pleased that Ken stepped up and took responsibility here on the forum, then rectified the problem. As long as I get my core funds returned, life will be good.

Gordon

WitchHunter

• 2 weeks later...

i have mine set to stock specs if i remember correctly. and its supposed to sound like that... its a solid lifter style cam. they make a little noise. if its overly noisy, go back through and check all the lash. run thru it a few times, not just once, roll it over again and make sure theyre as close as you can get them! i love it only takes me 30-45 minutes. i do have my timing advanced a bit. more than just a cam in my motor... working on more/different things with this motor. :grin:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished my performance solid lifter EA81 about a year ago. EA71 NOS pistons, Delta "torque" cam, and had Ken grind the lifters as well along with all new bearings, seals, water pump, ect. All the typical head work was done too, DeMoss port, polish and grind large valve heads, ect.

This engine has been one torquey SOB since I first put it together, but I could never get the valves to quiet down no matter what I tried. Finally after about 5000 miles the front intake lobe has gone flat:(

Rather than pull it and spilt the case again just to fix it and still have it clatter, I think I'm going with a bone stock Hydro Dual Port EJ22E

Just some thoughts. Sure was fun while it lasted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...