Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Im workin on now.....Update: IT LIVES!!!

Well, as most of you know, I have a lot of projects that enter my shop and must be put on hold well before being finished. Well this one is less-extreme (for now) and I should be able to have it done before the snow hits.

My '85 Brat is in dire need of some attention, after I ripped off an exhaust header and punch a gaping hole in the oil pan. I then traded the chrome wheels and 185/80 tires to Robbie, and the Brat was relegated to storage duty. Well Ive finally got it in the shop, I moved it in mostly to get it out of the rain (really bad leaking windshield) and have begun some work to it.

Its getting a 3" lift (for now), and 27" Maxxis Bighorns on 14" Pug steels, and as a bonus, I had my 27" ITP Mud tires mounted on some FREE 14" Mazda chromes that I redrilled, so it should be a blast in the snow :banana:

I got my oil pan gasket today, so I need to coat it with RTV, then drop the exhaust (im re-doing it with an X-pipe and to fit with the lift) and then I will install the lift and the rear disk brakes from my old RX. After that, I will track down the short that keeps bloing my tail light/dash light fuse, then I will make some HD bumpers and a skid plate (in addition to replacing the lower radiator support :eek:) and it will be off to the glass shop for a new winshield and gasket.

What I have to work with now

100_0052.jpg

100_0053.jpg

100_0054.jpg

The carnage

100_0033.jpg

In some of its former glory

03-10-09_1808.jpg

03-10-09_1801.jpg

03-10-09_1807.jpg

And now some teasers :brow: (no lift on it yet)

10-19-09_1801.jpg

10-19-09_1802.jpg

10-19-09_1803.jpg

10-19-09_1918.jpg

Ill post updates hopefully this weekend :banana:

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tires should be grippy in almost any terrain, and they are ATV tires.

The plan is to get this rig out of the shop ASAP, then build a couple EA82 lift kits and other parts, then do a lift and some other custom work on Schatzi's Hatch, make a prototype lift kit for Monstaru's Outback, then I will roll a Gen 1 into the shop to begin making Gen 1 lifts... Im shooting for before Christmas on the Gen 1 Lifts

The stacks are my thing, They look really tall right now, but when I make my hi roll bar and mount the off road lights they will be the perfect height. Not to mention they sounded totally awesome before I screwed up the passebger side header....

-Bill

Got some progress done tonight, I got all the lift pieces installed, now I just need to fix a bolt that broke off on the upper driver-side rear shock mount, modify the shifter a little, and lengthen the steering link, then I can re-do the exhaust and replace the oil pan. UPS surprised me today, my new Rancho shocks came :banana: that was fast. BUT, the catch is, they are not even close to the shocks I ordered.:mad::mad::mad: so I have to return them ASAP and get the right ones. I also got the steel to make my bumpers, Im doin something a little different and I have never seen before for my front bumper, so we will see how it turns out. Also still need to replace my lower control arms with modified and plated ones, and lengthen the radius rods 1" as well as bracing them with a sleeve of pipe or tubing.

100_0145.jpg

100_0148.jpg

100_0144.jpg

100_0139.jpg

100_0135.jpg

:banana:

-Bill

That just looks BAD rump roast Bill!

Damn, got my hopes up and then the big let down. Wrong shocks :( I'm still diging those stacks! Are they both connected? I assum you would have :)

-Tom

Well, the stacks were connected, but I had to take off the exhaust, to repair the damage, make a few upgrades, and to fit the lift. Hopefully by next week Ill have the oil pan fixed and the new exhaust rigged up and drive it a little (on the street tires of course, these arent street legal :grin:)

-Bill

Well, the stacks were connected, but I had to take off the exhaust, to repair the damage, make a few upgrades, and to fit the lift. Hopefully by next week Ill have the oil pan fixed and the new exhaust rigged up and drive it a little (on the street tires of course, these arent street legal :grin:)

-Bill

Oh thats good you had both connected, looks cool when its cold :)

Nah, I think you could drive those tires around the city Hehehe:grin:

-Tom

After thought: It would be awesome to pull into work with a machine that looks like that! I'd make the guy with the '96 Civic sedan crap his pants when I park next to him (Well I do already Muhahahaha!)

Those tires are just cool, I bet they are a pretty soft rubber eh?

-Tom

Love it. That looks cool. And about those tires on the snow.....they sucked on my friends ATV. All they did was dig dig and dig. But dont let that stop ya, I want to see some vids of this in action. Put a little diesel in the gas and get the stacks roaling some smoke.

Edited by bigo1966

Love it. That looks cool. And about those tires on the snow.....they sucked on my friends ATV. All they did was dig dig and dig. But dont let that stop ya, I want to see some vids of this in action. Put a little diesel in the gas and get the stacks roaling some smoke.

A little bit of ATF down the cylinders works great, or Marvel Mystery Oil is great for some stack smoking :lol:

Bill, are you planing on adding a flap on each stack to keep water/snow out of them? Would be a good idea :)

-Tom

Im not gonna put any flaps or covers on them, if I have to cover them for some reason Ill just put some old tin cans over them :banana:

As for the smoke, with the way my Weber was jetted, it smoked plenty ebough already :lol: nice big black cloud every time I hit the gas hard...

Started working on the exhaust today, got as far as the headers, and I need to buy more exhaust tubing :) Also got the steering link made :banana:

-Bill

Did some minor work on it since last night. I made up the primaries for the exhaust, then ran out of 1 7/8" bends :mad: so I ordered some new ones from Summit, and am waiting for those to build my new exhaust. Took off the oilpan tonight, and was a little disturbed by what appeared to be small chunks of metal in the oil :-\ Oh well, it ran fine, so Im not worried about it. Found both my motor mounts are broken, so those will be replaced after the new OEM oil pan dries (painted it to match my lift blocks :grin:) Also will be getting some new 4 speed mounts from Logan (Schatzi). I also modified my horribly mangled anti-pitch rod to accomodate the lift, and I rigged my shifters to work better, extended the gearshifter 1" below the bushing, so it shortened the throw a little. Also bent it a little bit more toward the driver seat, so I dont have to punch my passenger in the knee to get in reverse now :banana:. Also took the struts out and did some much needed strut tower clearance bashing (didnt do enough the first time) and now there is no more steering binding.

This weekend I have to build about 4 full lift kits, but I still plan on getting my radius rods extended 1" and sleeved with pipe, as well as plating my new (straight) lower control arms with 3/16" diamond plate :grin: and trimming the front fenders to clear the mud tires. Once its able to move under its own power, I will put the street tires on and make diamondplate fender flares and fix the tail light wiring, install the correct shocks, replace the lower radiator support, finish the exhaust, build a skidplate and bumpers, and then go wheelin'! :banana: Or something like that....

-Bill

Gloss red huhQUOTE]

Actually, its closer to Safety Orange :lol: but I guess the camera shots and/or the resolution on different monitors might make it appear red.... I honestly dont know if it will withstand the heat, I woulda just used Chevy orange engine enamal, but the parts stores were closed by the time I started painting..... Guess we will find out :brow:

-Bill

Ooo bright Orange it even better! What brand paint did you use - Rustolium I assum?

I think it may withstand the heat. The pan doesn't really get to hot - I can still tought mine after driving high speeds for a distance. So we'll see haha.

-Tom

PS: I'm also color blind to some shades - So it might just be me lol.