Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Garage Cabinets...

TheSubaruJunkie

plus2 for old kitchen cabinets. can be had cheap, or even free, just check with a remodel person.

- remember, who cares what they look like as long as they have a few shelves and somethin to put some wood screws into to hold to your studs.

craigslist might be good might not.

check under the "free" under for sale stuff/

I've had cabinets in some of my houses, some had shelves instead. I presently have a mix of both.

I generally prefer the shelves, mostly because of the easier access, especially up high..and they can be "built" to my needs, such as depth and strength (for heavy stuff).

Cabinets are good, I have some in my garage, but I find that I'm unloading and loading them a lot when I need to get to (or look for) something.

Used cabinets are certainly an excellent way to go, for cost reasons.

Just my 2 bucks

Anyone in the greater Portland OR area should check out the Rebuilding Center on N. Mississippi. They have great prices on used cabinets and all kinds of interesting things there. Open 7 days a week.

Habitat for Humanity Re-store is another place to check.

at my old house, I had cabinets from 2 old kitchens, and they generally worked really well. the ones in my current garage were "garage cabinets". :-\ non-moving shelves, base cabinets have a shelf which limits greatly what I can put in... I've already taken doors off some of the uppers so that my soob bolt containers work like the shelves at my old house....

I have a collection of cabinets that were scavenged or built over the years from whatever my grandfather had around. I find they are useful but at the same time stuff goes in and it's "out of sight, out of mind" and I have a hard time remembering that I even own some of that stuff. Awning for the back deck, house paint, deck stain, coffee cans full of every type of nail immaginable, odd scraps of wood, remnants of various carpeting/vinyl/counter-top from the house.... etc.

I have two of the metal "flat pack" shelves you can get at almost any discount store - 4' x 16" or some such deal - 800 lbs per shelf - etc, etc. Got them at Costco for like $50 each. I find they are great for storeing the clear tote's which I then label and fill with assorted parts for specific types/models of vehicles, etc. I plan on getting about 5 or 6 more of the shelving units for my shed and similarly organzing that space as it's a dumping ground for engines, transmissions, and other heavy spare's that don't fit into the scheme of my garage.

I appreciate the visibility of the shelves. I do keep my aerosol's in a cupboard, though I would like to rebuild some of the cupboards that they are in to be "one can deep". Having deep cupboards in the garage is just a good way to lose stuff forever. I can't use most of the space because I want all the cans to be visible or I won't know what I have in stock. Frankly a shelf would be better for those too, but I can see the need in your case to hide that stuff. Perhaps you could just build some yourself - it's not that hard to knock together some 1-can-deep shelves and put a door or a curtain over them. I'm seriously considering just putting up a canvas curtain strung on a rope on front of some 6" deep shelves.....

Simpler is better IMO. Doors have to swing out - curtains don't.

GD