Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scored two motorcycles, with titles, for FREE!

So my friend Tim moved out to Maryland for a decent job. He's trying to move the rest of his belongings out of his sister's house where he stayed when he was here in MI. The most of it is small, easy to mail sort of stuff. Some things were a bit more of a challenge, like his Nighthawk 250 and CL 175. Both need work, and neither of them were worth the trouble for him to move. So he asked me if I wanted them. I offered to buy them but he said they needed a bit of work to get going properly and I was doing him a favor by taking them, so free! I've ridden the 250 before so I know it runs, but it has been sitting a while. The 175 needs "carb work" but it could be more than that. But still...TWO titled bikes, complete, for the effort to haul them away! I've wanted EITHER of these styles for a while now and I suddenly get BOTH! The hard part is going to be choosing which one to ride next season (provided I get them both running :lol:)

I never cared for any of the honda's that carried the "nighthawk". At least the cruiser style ones. Once they turned it into a sortof sportsbike they became a bit more fun.

That CL 175 is a fun bike, a little small, but Sooooo easy to work on. There's like 6 parts to the whole thing. What year is it? they can be hard to find parts for, but everything is super easy to work on and pretty reliable once you take care of all the sitting disease. I'm sure it will need "carb work" if it's been sitting for any amount of time. The good news is that there is only one carb, it has no vacuum diaphragm to go bad. Clean everything up with simple green and carb cleaner and you should be good to go. You can still get rebuild kits for them off of feebay that include a floatbowl seal, needle jet and hold down clamp, main and pilot jets.

Pull the throttle and see if the slide is stuck, if it is it'll be more work, but give it a good soak with simple green. Careful with using that stuff at full strength as it will eat away at the aluminum.

Good luck and post some pics! If you have trouble deciding which to ride, you can always turn the 175 into a dirtbike! Just look for XL 175 parts.

I've been keeping an eye out for CL's in the 350 range, I love the look of the scrambler high pipes! I'm pretty familiar with motorcycle style carbs so it should not be a big issue. He couldn't remember if it needed more but it has been sitting a while so we shall see. If I can get it going, it will be a nice bike to have I think!

Regarding that Nighthawk, it holds a touch of sentimental value to me as it was the first motorcycle I operated. I was curious about how they worked and what it was like to ride, so Tim let me take it around a parking lot for a bit. I also used a Nighthawk during the safety course. Between the Suzuki cruiser thing, the Honda Rebel (like sitting on a hemorrhoid doughnut) and a Yammy TW200, it was the most comfortable and natural feeling bike. So I'm pretty stoked to have one of my own :) I've got the whole next week off, so I'm going to spend it tinkering with it to get it running then go from there!

The nighthawks do make good first bike 'cause the saddle is so low and thus the center of gravity. They are also really popular with the ladies again because of the low saddle height for those with short legs. Makes reselling them pretty easy, at least around here.

Yeah aside from cleaning up the carbs on that CL probably the only thing you'll have to do is clean up the points and maybe trim the spark plug wires, new plugs, new fuel filter (hopefully the tank isn't too rusty) and you'll be all set.

Probably want to invest in some fork seals and new rubber, oh and oil that chain!

Happy scooting!

Will-

• 3 weeks later...

I FINALLY picked them up tonight!

10969_747006391162_12126394_4319240.jpg

The CL is in pretty rough shape, hasn't been run in a very long time. Bonus, it has both the key AND the title! :banana: Needs just about every wear part replaced and everything else restored before she will be road worthy. So it's definitely a project but I think worthy of restoration.

10969_747006326292_12126394_4319240.jpg

The Nighthawk does run and recently too, so it's a whole lot closer. I pulled the seat off to have a friend recover it...Tim felt that 100 MPH tape was a good substitute for leather :-P It does have a list of things it needs, but all of it is of the tune-up variety. So this one will keep me sated while I fix the 175 :)

So yeah, I'm pretty stoked. Still haven't found a Subaru, but I figure until I do these will keep me near sane for the time being.

Sweet, I love free bikes!

If you plan on riding that CL around with any kind of regularity, I suggest finding a front end from a later year that has a disc brake, 'cause drums in front suuuuuucks. Measure the fork tube diameter and start searching most of the bikes of similar vintage and CC size will have the same fork tube diameter. Grab the master cylinder and you're all set.

Looks like a fun project!

Will-

I know, front drums are TERRIBLE on motorcycles! During the MSF class I kept locking the rear on the Nighthawk during quick stops because that front drum just didn't have the grunt to halt you! I've heard the European Nighthawks had disc setups so I might look into that. For that CL, some of the larger CB in that era had disc as well so I'll definitely look into it. I'm curious as to whether or not the CL engine mounts were the same between the 175 and 350 :brow: I wouldn't mind a bit more grunt for it!

I don't recall on the 175 - 350 frame, it could very well be the same frame.

As for front ends. Check out these charts. All you really need is for the fork tube diameter to be the same and you can pick something out. They're from a chopper site, but whatever, the info's good.

fork tube compatibility chart

http://www.resurrectediron.com/fork_diameters.pdf

fork stem compatibility chart

http://www.resurrectediron.com/stem%20sizes.pdf

So we're moving stuff around in the warehouse but my friend had to take a call. So I go dink with the Nighthawk. Battery is dead, but I wonder if a bump-start would work. Kick it into a higher gear and with that "no-way-this-will-work" grin I roll a little bit forward and drop the clutch....VRRRROOOM! :eek: I declutched right away so it didn't go anywhere but DAMN! Let it warm up a bit and took it up and down the street hit about 50 or so, feels pretty good for all the work it needs! Hot damn, I hope we have a mild winter! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
I know, front drums are TERRIBLE on motorcycles! During the MSF class I kept locking the rear on the Nighthawk during quick stops because that front drum just didn't have the grunt to halt you! I've heard the European Nighthawks had disc setups so I might look into that. For that CL, some of the larger CB in that era had disc as well so I'll definitely look into it. I'm curious as to whether or not the CL engine mounts were the same between the 175 and 350 :brow: I wouldn't mind a bit more grunt for it!

We happen to have a 1974 CL 360 Scrambler - i can take some measurements if you would like....

th_Honda005copy2.jpg

I've thought about it and I have decided to restore it as-is rather than mod it. Thanks for the offer though!

THAT is a beautiful 360! :slobber:

you are welcome and Thank you for the props on the ol girl - we like her! :grin:

if you really want to :slobber::slobber: let me say that we only paid $200 for it & madkow rode it home! (had to take him back to pu his car!!) it has just barely turned 10K on the clock, all original (well, maybe not the tires)...

Good luck with the resto! would love to see some pics of yours brought back to it's full glory. :)