Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil is fuller not emptier ????

So I went to check my oil the other day on my 97 OBS and noticed that it had become fuller. Now this engine has 190k on it and I regularly, every month, have to ad a quart or so. This seemed a bit odd to me and the oil is up there in miles so it is time for a change yet the oil is not very black. All this seemed odd so I decided to give it an oil change and I pull the plug and the old oil pours out like water? my first thought is that there is atifreeze mixed in with the oil so I check the rad. and it is full but the overflow is empty. Now the overflow does not contain very much to start with. I filled the overflow and will research further.

If the coolant is leaking into the oil is that a headgasket issue?

If it was water the oil would be milky white. Going by the level in the overflow is not a good indicator depending upon how often you notice it (most of us dont including me).

A better possability is a leaking fuel injector, or a mis reading of the dipstick (they are a PITA to read at times).

Check the oil every morning with car cold.

When was the last time you changed the PCV valve?

How often do you need to add oil normally.

HG issues are usually obvious with gunk floating in the coolant.

nipper

(ps pet peeve its not "fuller" its increased oil or something like that. Fuller is a brush :P )

In draining your oil, you mentioned that the viscosity was light, so it drained out like water. By chance did you smell the drained oil? Did it smell like gasoline? If so, then you may have a stuck injector, that is allowing gasoline to drain down into the oil pan. However, this situation would have caused a miss fire, and your check engine light to be on. Didn't see any mention of that in your post.

As advised, just keep an eye on the oil level to head off trouble before it arrives.

In draining your oil, you mentioned that the viscosity was light, so it drained out like water. By chance did you smell the drained oil? Did it smell like gasoline? If so, then you may have a stuck injector, that is allowing gasoline to drain down into the oil pan. However, this situation would have caused a miss fire, and your check engine light to be on. Didn't see any mention of that in your post.

As advised, just keep an eye on the oil level to head off trouble before it arrives.

If an injector leaks just a little, it won't make the car run rich, but will 'dump' into the cylinder(s) overnight.

Checking how fast the fuel pressure falls after shutoff is an easy check.

Dave

If an injector leaks just a little, it won't make the car run rich, but will 'dump' into the cylinder(s) overnight.

Checking how fast the fuel pressure falls after shutoff is an easy check.

Dave

Yes some injectors will leakdown over night and never throw a code.

nipper

i'm not sure i'd put too much value in the oil being "fuller" unless you had a routine habit of always checking it and adding if neede before you drove it every day. if your loses oil and you check it too soon after you turn it off, it may seem low and then you add oil, when in fact it was fine. the next time you check it it may appear ''fuller".

watch it closely, check it every day in the same location and the same time.

when in doubt, change it out.

Could someone else have driven the car lately and by chance they knew to check the oil and added a bit?

When you check the oil has a lot to do with the level. Checking immediately after the engine is shut off will often give a low reading because oil is still in the cylinder heads and crank case, rather than in the pan where it is measured.

Checking the level after sitting overnight will give an accurate reading because the oil has had time to drain into the pan.