Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problems again

akc

Ok fixed the head gaskets and now I have a host of problems. I think I have figured out what to do with the oil gage now I have a new issue..

I noticed after I fixed it that the volt meter was down to about 10 which is lower then it usually sits but as other gages seemed to be haywire I did not pay it too much mind then today, on the way to town it slipped down to 8 and when I turned off the car I could not start it (about a 50 minute drive) I pop started it turned everything off and drove home (I would have made it but some idiot cut in front of me and stopped and I died one mile from home going up hill. After that hill I would have been home free.) everytime I hit a stop light my clock would fade out and then when I would get going it would light up again. I think????? It might be partially charging or was..... does this sound like a dead dying alternator or a bad belt connection. bad battery?? (had to take alternator off when I did gaskets) or??? the belt appears to be on right but might be a little more forward then it used to be. It worked perfectly fine until we took everything apart that is the only reason I mentioned belt.

Problem number 2 My air conditionar died in all this and I wondered what is the best way to go shut it off and STILL have heat and a defroster. I shut off part of it but aparently I did not do it right as now the fans won't turn on at all.

Sounds like the alternator is not working -- could be a slipping belt (those usually make awful noises, but not always -- I had one get oil on the belt from a loose oil filter, and it just started slipping, with no noise), or the alternator could have died -- oddly the alternator on my '85 GL died right after I did a head gasket on it too. Also, make sure the wires are still connected to the alternator... it happens...

For the A/C, just unplug the connector right on the A/C clutch and it should stop without affecting anything else. Or just remove the belt to the compressor (if its the outboard compressor... if its the inboard one, you can't remove just the A/C belt because the alternator belt goes around it too).

Z

I did have some sqealing but attributed that to the AC however it does sound like a rubbing sound occassionally coming from the engine compartment.We had trouble putting the oil filter although we finally got it on so yes there is a lot of grease there. THe alternator is one of the few big parts we have not replaced (also have not replaced the starter) And as our last Subaru needed one I would not be suprised if this one does. (maybe it did not like the overheated engine ?????) will check the wires but they seem to be hooked up. I believe it could happen this summer we worked on something else and went in and turned on the AC it did not work we had forgotten to plug it back in.

Do you have a multi-meter? They are $2.99 on sale at Harbor Freight and are invaluable for stuff like this.

Take a reading between the battery negative and the back of the alternator (the output lug). You should see 14.5 volts DC +/- 0.25 VDC.

Then take a reading between the battery positive and the back of the alt. That will give you the voltage drop between the two. You should see less than 0.25 VDC here. If you see more - like 1 or 2 VDC or more - then you have a bad connection somewhere between the output lug and the main junction (fusible links), or between the main junction and the battery.

Then set the meter for AC voltage (yes that's alternating house current). Take another reading from the battery negative and the back of the alt. You should see almost nothing. If you are getting more than 1 or 2 volts of AC current then your alternator has a bad rectifier.

If all those are OK, then you may have a bad battery lead going to ground or to the starter (check resistance and INSPECT the cables where they are attached to the lugs). Bad connections due to corrosion of the aluminium wires is common.

If all your connections look good you may have a bad battery. This may or may not be due to a bad alternator or bad connection (see above).

GD