Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear struts squeaking

Hi All.

My Loyale Wagon has recently developed a squeak coming from the rear springs/shocks.

They are only 8 months old so they are not in bad shape they just squeak while driving (my street is a little bumpy so its pretty annoying).

Anyone have any ideas what I could be and how I could fix it.

Thanks Alot.

Does that model have coil over struts ? I believe it does , sometimes the coils get dry/rusty and develope a squeak where they rest up against the spring seats . Try spraying some of that spray lube stuff ( preferably with teflon in it , if you find some ) around the top and bottoms of the spring seats and see if that doesnt help . The cans usually come with a little plastic straw so you can really get in there and give it a good soaking . Also a shot of spray silicone on all the rubbers couldnt hurt either .

Good luck ... squeaks are annoying as hell :)

Bob

dont use wd-40.. it dont really work for lubrication.. WD = water displacement formula 40. The only real lubrication it has in it is fish oil (we used absorbent rags soaked in WD-40 for halibut bait when we are out sport fishing)

The best thing for lube that actually sticks and stays is Corrosion-X. its a bit spendy but its worth the 15 bucks. We use it on marine applications and it stands up to constant salt water spray and doesnt wash, rinse or wear off.