Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble code 12: 87 XT

My XT doesn't start. My ECU gives me trouble code 12. Which i believe is "starter switch is either always in the off or always on position". BUT my starter works when I turn the key. I honestly don't know anything about starters besides they turn the engine to help start the car. Also, this could possibly be an old code? I can't for the life of me find the mysterious black check connector, but I can find the green one.

describe what is happening?

the engine is turning over but not starting?

is the starter engaging?

is your check engine light currently on?

black connector is in the trunk under the rear cargo lid, just under/around the passengers side rear speaker. it's adjacent to the green connector in the trunk close to the ECU if that's what you have found. might be tucked up or taped up under there.

Engine cranks but no start.

I have new timing belts and they are installed correctly. (The three hash marks etc...)

No warning lights are on. Just the code is flashing on the ECU.

I'm assuming the starter is engaging because the engine cranks just no ignition.

I have spark and air (I'm not sure if i have fuel to the cylinders) I have fuel pressure to all injectors I just don't know if they're firing and I don't know how to check if they are.

I was wondering if the starter had anything else to do with the ignition process other than cranking the engine.

The starter has nothing to do with this problem.

Timing belts installed correctly and you have spark so that eliminates a lot of potentials.

Spray some starting fluid into the throttle body. If everything you stated is correct, the engine will fire. If the engine does fire, then problem just about has to be the injectors are not firing.

if that's the ECU I sent you that could very well be an old code.

that car had a fuse box corrosion issue and we had the igniton coil jumpered to the battery and the starter was engaged from the engine bay.

it was a basket case but the computer worked in my other car.

yeah don't then... I figured it might be an existing code

I couldn't tell with that car if the dash light should have been coming on or not

and it did come on in the 86 DL cause well it wasn't a turbo car.

you checked for spark

you checked the timing

so all that's really left is fuel... and that's easy to check just like was said above.