Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

All this parts plus shipping and handling from the U.S.A. to Honduras is expensive, but the security of my family is the most important thing, also I Really want to fix Permanently the brakes issues on that car; so I got a loan at a local bank, and I was able to send the Money to Mr. Robert (GottaCruise) few days before the end of October. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been waiting for those rear disc brakes since I paid for them in october 2013. I didn't obtained new brake shoes for the rear Drums thinking that the rear Discs will be here soon... 

But after all these months waiting, the KiaStein almost got a huge front crash a couple of days ago, against a Ford SUV with a douchebag driver... Despite that it was his fault, his car stopped fast, but in the KiaStein the brake pedal
 went almost to the floor and the poor kia stopped at less than three inches from that Ford, my Li'l daughter had a hit in the hip.

Tomorrow I'll buy brand new rear shoes for the hated rear drums and will do the brake job once again...

Thank God my li'l daughter is alright, also my wife.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after some time waiting, Mr. Robert wrote me an e-mail, he had to obtain both left & Right Calipers Brand New, because the ones from the Junk Yard were seized, rusted beyond possible Repairs.

Also he Disassembled and Cleansed everything, prior to Shipping; and send me Photos of the Complete parts' inventory!

Thank you Mr. Robert, you're Awesome:D

The Shipped Box, which almost weighed 80 Lbs, is on its way...

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ... 

The Good: With the awesome help of Mr. Robert, the dream of converting the rear axle's brakes on the "KiaStein", from the frightful drums, to nice discs, will come true: the part's box, which weighed almost 80 Lbs, is on its way! ... :D ...  From New Hampshire to Florida (USA), then from there to Honduras. (Central America)

The Bad: It will take "around a month" to be delivered in Honduras ... :mellow: ...

The Ugly: I'll have to get a second loan with the bank, since the cost of shipping and handling, plus taxes and customs clearance's duty import fees, exceeds the cost of the parts themselves; according to the information given to me today in the cargo & courier company, despite I chose the cheapest shipping of all: Maritime way ... :( ...

Well, I knew that this project was not gonna be easy nor cheap, so I was expecting that somehow... as my local friends says to me, the "KiaStein" slowly became the most expensive Kia Sephia in the Country... despite that I'm not seeking luxury. nor looks... only Safety for my Family.

Some times I wish I could sell this and get a newer "Used" car instead, but in Honduras, used cars are very expensive, plus I've gone so far with this built, that better I keep it and use it 'till it fails... then fix it and use it again... and so on...

Kind Regards.

I hope that soon I'll receive a Rear Disc Brakes' set for my Wife's 2000 Kia Sephia, and thinking about changin' the old Master Cylinder as well; I found that the Models that comes factory with Rear Disc Brakes + ABS, have a Bigger Master Cylinder with longer travel and Bigger Booster, than their counterparts which came factory with rear Drum Brakes - without ABS.

I came across this Photos; the first one belongs to the Master Cylinder plus the Brake Booster for the 7/8"
(Non-ABS) Kia Sephia with Rear Drum Brakes, a
nd the second photo belongs to the Master Cylinder plus the Brake Booster, for the 15/16" (ABS) Kia Sephia with Rear Disc Brakes, see the differences:

Comparison.jpg

I can see that not only the Master Cylinder is Longer, but also the Brake Booster is Longer, on the ABS (Rear Disc brakes) one... Should I change both things?

Kind regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

The Brake Booster is gonna Stay in the car, as long as it continue working fine.

My main concern now, is the Main Brake Pump, also known as "Master Cylinder" ... there are three important differences between them, let me explain those differences:

• The Master Cylinder on the model with Rear Drums, comes with a bore size of 7/8" While the Master Cylinder on the Model that comes with Rear Discs, comes with a Bore size of 15/16" which is a li'l bit Thicker.
  • The Master Cylinder on the model with Rear Drums, is Shorter than the Master Cylinder on the Model that comes with Rear Discs.
  • Each Master Cylinder has Two Pistons inside, the First one sends pressure for the Front Wheels' Brakes and seems to be Equal on Both Master Cylinders; but the Secondary Piston, which is the one that sends pressure to the Rear Wheels' Brakes, has an increased Travel (Distance to Run inside the Master Cylinder) and thus explains the increased overal lenght on this Master Cylinder.

The increased Bore and Capacity of moving Fluid on the Master Cylinder designed for the Model with Rear Discs, is due to compensate the increased size of the Pumps at the Rear Wheels, comparing the ones on the Rear Calipers, with the ones on the Rear Drums, which are Smaller.

So, long story short: I am afraid that the actual Master Cylinder in the Sephia, being shorter and thinner bore, will not be enough to properly send the right amount / pressure to the rear calipers.

Since the Local Kia Dealer can not bring that 15/16" Master Cylinder, I'm investigating for suitable replacements; the first gen Kia Sportage "Visually Comparing" seems to have a pretty similar Master Cylinder, but I need to make a Side by Side comparison, plus take measurements... any thoughts?

By the way, I already know that the Master Cylinder should be in Balance with the Calipers' pumps, as I already wrote:

For those who has Weak Brakes and believe that by Changing to a Bigger Master Cylinder could help, Remember:

A bigger bore master cylinder will Not improve braking power; It will make the pedal engage higher and feel firmer, but the braking force at the wheels is reduced for the same pounds of pressure applied to the pedal. So you'll actually have to Push Harder on the pedal to get it to Stop as quick after "upgrading".

Master cylinder bore size is in balance with the Wheel cylinder bore size; Go too Small and the pedal will hit the Floor before the brakes are at maximum Clamping force. Go too Big and you'll run out of leg strength before hitting maximum clamping force. Simple hydraulics: the piston ratio between the master and the wheel cylinders gives you the mechanical advantage.

So, Forget about Changing the Master Cylinder for a Bigger one, that is in no way an "Upgrade".

That being written and said, my intention is only to Keep the Proper "Balance" between Master Cylinder and the New rear Disc brakes, that will substitute the old crappy Drum Brakes.

Kind Regards.

Well... There is another Reason why I want to Change the Master Cylinder on my Wife's Sephia; I believe that it is about to fail soon, because my Wife reported to me a couple of months ago, that the Brake Pedal started to fade slowly during prolonged stops on steep hills, on Semaphores (Traffic Lights).

I Tested that by myself, it is a Little loss of pressure, internally developed on the Master Cylinder, because no wheel is loosing a single drop of Brake Fluid, and the level at the Master Cylinder remains the Same, so seems like the Rubber O-Rings at the Master Cylinder's pistons are worn...

That is comprehensible, if you think that the Sephia was built on november 1999 as 2000 model, and has more than 160K Miles with same Master Cylinder; also the Vehicle is Automatic... those relies more on the Brakes than Manual ones.

So, I will change the Master Cylinder anyway, in order to prevent a major failure, but sure I'll test the Vehicle with the original one first, and I'll Report back the Experience.

Kind Regards.