Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

buen suerte amigo!!

Those other axles are so lame, the NAME is OE brand. that' lame You have to assemble axles fro the stres too?

Could I get you some and ship them? I'm positive that will be MUCH cheaper than $1800 U$ for a pair.

Edited by superu
  • Like 1

Yes "O.E." is a wrong name, they're trying to fool us, as if those were Original Equipment.

Thank you so much for your kind offer, I really appreciate your will to help me...

However Shipping & Handling from USA to Honduras is not cheap nor easy,

So I will ask parts from USA for things that can't be sourced locally only.

Kind Regards.

Pandora's Box once again!

Now, I am Really Upset with this "Money Pit" Kia, specifically with what the previous owner did to it, let me explain:

I took off first the Driver's side Axle, and I went with it to search at dozens of aftermarket parts' stores, and finally, after all the afternoon driving on traffic jams and going from one place to another, I purchased a couple of axles with 24 Splines, absolutely identical to the one I took with me as Sample.

Also I obtained New inner boots ... then I went home, and immediately I started to clean the old axle's shaft bar, the inner joint, etc... then reassembled that driver's side first.

The problem was on the Passenger's side Axle: After I disassembled everything, I noticed that despite that the C.V. joint looked identical on its outside shape, its inner spline count was only 22 instead of 24, also the overall diameter of the splined bar was around a couple of milimeters smaller.

I've disassembled axles on more than a hundred cars during all this years, and I found that every and each one uses the same spline count on the Left and the Right Wheels.

So, How the heck could this be happening?

banghead-1.gif 

I Removed that axle's shaft bar, in order to do a closer, detailed inspection, and I found that despite that the outer (wheel) side of the bar's spline count is 22, the inner (Transmission) side of the bar has the same, thicker spline count of 24, like the other side's wheel's axle.

DSC09858.jpg

The other wheel's side axle has 24 spline count on each side of the Bar

I bet that the Previous Owner and / or the mechanic who "Fixed" it prior to send the car to Honduras from USA, changed that Axle only; using another one from another Sephia Model ... First Gen Sephia, or Rio Perhaps? 

Now I am Really Tired ... tomorrow I will go to local junk yards to search for a 46.5 cms long Bar, with 24 spline count on EACH side, to solve this problem.

Once again, wish me Luck!
... Please.

Kind Regards.

This is inKIAredible. What a nightmare.

What do the 22 splines mate with on the pass side hub? Is it like our Subarus, where the adore shaft goes right in to splines on the hub? If so and your going from 22 to 24 spine, won't you need also to replace the hub that side?

Best luck jeszek.

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

Despite that one side's C.V. Joint had an inner spline count of 22 with thinner diameter, and the other C.V. Joint had an inner spline count of 24 with thicker diameter; Both C.V. Joints has the Same size and Spline Count on their Outer shaft, that goes to the wheel hub.

That is the Reason why I only needed the 24 / 24 Bar to solve the problem of having different C.V. Joints on each wheel, in order to use the same C.V. Joint on Both sides.

Kind Regards.

Edited to highlight the important words

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

After Disassembling everything...

AxleJob.jpg

...searching for parts, purchasing two new Constant Velocity Joints...

NewAxlesintheBox.jpg

...and new rubber boots, look at details on the inner ones, here:

~► CLICK HERE!

Finally, I Reassembled everything back together, with the new parts, this afternoon.

Here you can see one of the Old C.V. Joints, next to one of the New ones:

NakamotoAxle.jpg

This is How the Two Axles looked like, prior to mount them:

NewAxles.jpg

I've been driving the "KiaStein" since I finished the axle job this afternoon,

Testing the Axles while doing half dozen errands; and thanks to God,

everything seems to be working smooth as Silk.

• Like 2

Yes, also I hope that.

By the way, since Kia products are based upon Ford / Mazda Products... 

Starting in 1986 (when only 26 cars were manufactured, followed by over 95,000 the next year), Kia rejoined the automobile industry in partnership with Ford. Kia produced several Mazda-derived vehicles for both domestic sales in South Korea and for export into other countries. These models included the Kia Pride, based on the Mazda 121, and the Avella, which were sold in North America and Australasia as the Ford Festiva and Ford Aspire.

Many parts are interchangeable.

Kind Regards.

Despite that one side's C.V. Joint had an inner spline count of 22 with thinner diameter, and the other C.V. Joint had an inner spline count of 24 with thicker diameter; Both C.V. Joints has the Same size and Spline Count on their Outer shaft, that goes to the wheel hub.

That is the Reason why I only needed the 24 / 24 Bar to solve the problem of having different C.V. Joints on each wheel, in order to use the same C.V. Joint on Both sides.

Kind Regards.

OOh the difference is on the transission side?? THat's a different story. Do you think soeone got inside the transmission and swapped a part, or the Kia is just that asymetrical in its fron CVs?

so, what came out was a 24/24 and a 22/24

and you assembled new CVs and replaced them with 24/24 and equal thickness but still 22/24?

I noticed the different lengths (typical outside the balanced SUbaru world ;)

So when you buy CV axles, you hae to assemble the and pack them with greese, every time, or do you elect for the "some assembly required" axles?

So, you found a good/valid substitute and have it back together?

that's great.

OOh the difference is on the transission side?? ...

Nope, the difference was on the inner spline of the C.V. Joint only.

(Wheel Side C.V. Joint)

I wrote this above:

Kind Regards.

The Driver's Side came with a 24 / 24 Bar, also the C.V. Joint had 24 splines on its outer shaft that went onto the wheel hub; I bet that the Passenger's side, originally came like that also. I guess that the 24 / 22 Bar + its 22 inner spline C.V. joint, came from another, smaller Kia Model, such like the Kia Rio; not the Kia Sephia / Spectra, like the "KiaStein" and the Previous owner changed that side's axle only.

I changed the 24 / 22 Bar with another one from a Junk Yard's Sephia, which came with 24 / 24 as the Other Side's Bar, and that solved the problem.  :) 

Kind Regards.

Crazy. I think the reason for the confusion is that not many people replace just the joints over here.

What we think of when you refer to the spline count difference is the splines mating to the hub or transmission instead of the bar connecting the two joints together

• Like 1

... I think the reason for the confusion is that not many people replace just the joints over here....

Now I Know... but I did not knew that before, when I wrote the previous posts.

Here, is Cheaper and easier to change the mere C.V. joints which are the moving part that connects the bar with the Hub, since the bar rarely gets worn or damaged.

Kind Regards.

Now I Know... but I did not knew that before, when I wrote the previous posts.

Here, is Cheaper and easier to change the mere C.V. joints which are the moving part that connects the bar with the Hub, since the bar rarely gets worn or damaged.

Kind Regards.

That does make sense. I'm not sure how available just the joints are over here. Most auto parts stores sell the CV axles as an assembled unit with a core on reman axles
  • Like 1

I removed the Lousy H3 Bulbs that came with the Lamps,

To place the Great quality ones instead.

Take a Look of this comparison photo of both together

KiaHalogens3.jpg

A friend wonders how the Flösser bulbs will compare to Narva Roangepower +50 bulbs.  It is clear the Flösser  is far superior to a cheap and generic bulb (likely what came in the lamps).

Thanks and keep up the great reviews, posting and sharing of information.   :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

The Name "Sephia" was never dropped from the Kia Lineup, in fact, Kia sold the first gen Rio in the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market), prepared from Factory to work as Taxi cab, already with all the needed items, including the smaller displacement engine (1.4L) for that body, and the yellow paint, sold as "Sephia Taxi"

SephiaTaxi.jpg

Sephia_Taxi_Back.jpg

After that, Kia sells in the LADM, the "Grand Sephia" which is a Cerato / Forte, which also is available prepared as Taxi, with the smaller displacement engine (1.6L) available for that Body; all the needed items and the yellow body paint.

Kia_Grand_Sephia_1.jpg

1200px-Kia_Grand_Sephia_-_Back.jpg