Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

Long ago, I retrofitted LED illumination on the Glove Box of the "KiaStein" ...

My '69 Mercury Coupé and my '85 Subaru Wagon have lights on their glove boxes from factory, but my Wife's Kia Sephia sedan, didn't, so I did the Retrofit, let me share here an old post with information regarding to the retrofitting subject:

I also added a Useful LED lights panel to my Wife's "KiaSten" Glovebox:

LuzenGaveta.jpg

I took the Power wirings from the A/C Panel's Background illumination, and placed a 6 Led Lights' flat Panel up on the Glovebox, held in place by a small zip tie... That setup has been working flawlessly since years ago.

You can do similar setup on your car, it is couple of hours job...

That setup continues working flawlessly, But the way the Glovebox closes, lets too much space for free play; and besides of occasional rattle noises while driving on unpaved roads, sometimes a little glare from the LED illumination, escapes from the Opening, and the Glovebox didn't have a way to adjust how far or how near it closes from the dashboard's body.

So, I removed the Metal hook for the Glovebox latch, and noticed that the only way to let the Glovebox to be closer to the Dashboard, was to weld shut the two tiny holes for the screws on said metal hook, and then re-open them in a little different position, in order to let the glove box, to seal closer to the Dashboard.

Let me show ya:

gancho%20gaveta.jpg

Another problem, Solved :)  

Now the glovebox Closes as it should, an no more rattling noises, nor glare escapes from the glove box at all.

Kind Regards.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:03 AM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Finally, I Had to purchase three cans of r134a gas and one can of the appropriated lubricant oil for the air conditioner system on the "KiaStein" and...

04%20gas%20and%20oil.jpg

...Voilá!  :)  another problem, Solved.

Jes,

Does the manual state to use ester oil vs. PAG oil?  I've found ester oil doesn't work as well as PAG oil with r134a.  I believe I've had compressor failures in the past due to insufficient lubrication.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, Legacy777 said:

Jes,

Does the manual state to use ester oil vs. PAG oil?  I've found ester oil doesn't work as well as PAG oil with r134a.  I believe I've had compressor failures in the past due to insufficient lubrication.

Regarding the Lubricant used on the A/C Compressor, the answer to your Question is No.

The A/C Compressor found on this "KiaStein" states that it should be filled with a Mixture of r134a refrigerant Gas and Daphne lubricating oil, as you can see in the following photo from said compressor's sticker:

Compressor%20Specs.jpg

This is an example of a Daphne oil can:

Daphne%20Oil%201.jpg

And these are the Daphne Oil Specs, found online:

Daphne%20Specs.jpg

The problem was the availability, I couldn't find it in this small town where I live, so I had to travel to another, bigger city (but still small), to search among their stores, and the only A/C compressor's Lubricant that I found on all of them, was the Ester oil:

Ester%20Oil%201.jpg

I must confess that I am not an expert on A/C systems, so due to the lack of the Daphne oil, prior to purchase the Ester oil, I asked to the salesman at the store, regarding the differences between the Daphne and the Ester oils; and basically talking, I understood that there are two types of Ester lubricating oils, the old type which is simple; and the new type, which is composite with an special additive, known as: "Ice 32" which is alleged to work better in old, higher mileage compressors than the Daphne oil...

Here are the Specs from the Ester Lubricating oil, also found online:

Ester%20Specs.jpg

Here is some information regarding the "Ice 32" Additive:

Ice%2032%20Specs.jpg

Ok, well you've got to use what you have available.  I'm sure it will work ok. 

The main issue I had with plain ester oil was it didn't lubricate as well and I believe lead to compressor failures.  If the ICE 32 is supposed to help lubrication hopefully that well alleviate some of the issues I may have had.

There appears to be different kinds of the Daphne Hermetic Oil, did the compressor say what viscosity/type?

https://www.ilacorp.com/products/industrial-lubricants/refrigeration-compressor-oils.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, Legacy777 said:

Ok, well you've got to use what you have available.  I'm sure it will work ok. 

The main issue I had with plain ester oil was it didn't lubricate as well and I believe lead to compressor failures.  If the ICE 32 is supposed to help lubrication hopefully that well alleviate some of the issues I may have had.

There appears to be different kinds of the Daphne Hermetic Oil, did the compressor say what viscosity/type?

https://www.ilacorp.com/products/industrial-lubricants/refrigeration-compressor-oils.html

Firstly: Sorry for the delay in answering...

Yes... the Compressor states that it must use Daphne Hermetic Oil number FD46GX and according to the internet searching I did, it is considered as a "High Viscosity" Lubricant, while having a Nº 46 viscosity.

Then I also searched about the Ester oil viscosity number, and I found that it is considered a "Medium Viscosity" Lubricant, while having a Nº 100 viscosity. :o

This is pretty confusing, especially for a newbie on A/C systems like me; and sounded like I just screwed up my compressor by going twice as thick on lubricant, until I read even more information, and I found this website:

~► Compressor oils [SubsTech]

on which I found information regarding the subject, written in easy understanding words; and I found two things, one is that Ester oil is semi-synthetic, while Daphne is Mineral; the other thing I found, is that there is an ISO viscosity index that measures low temperature and high temperature flowing behaviour of the lubricant; which you can see in the following comparison tables:

Daphne 46

DAPHNE%20Viscosity%20Chart.jpg

Ester 100
ESTER%20viscosity%20chart.jpg

And if you read them, the Viscosity index of the Daphne oil, ends being ~ 108, while the viscosity index of the Ester oil, ends being ~ 110 so, the difference is minimum, as far as I understand.

I hope I didn't screw things by using Ester oil instead of Daphne oil... 

Kind Regards.

Dear Friend,

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I made a mistake and if I should hurry to change the gas + oil on the A/C system, to avoid future costly repairs; I am not an expert on A/C systems... In fact, I'm not expert on mechanics (you can read further, ~► here); I am self taught even on english language, so please let me Know if I'm wrong.

Now, answering your question: The A/C system has been working since I repaired it, in the last week of the month of may, and my wife, who really can't live without the air conditioning, says it is performing perfectly.

The only difference that we've noticed on the overall vehicle's behaviour, is that the A/C tend to rob a little more Horsepower from the engine, than before; like if it is now around 25% more heavy to spin...

Besides that, it still is working flawlessly, blowing icy cold air without leaks.

By the way, Ester and Daphne, are women names... interesting that they're used to name compressor lubricants.

Kind Regards.

• 7 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 12:30 AM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

... The A/C system has been working since I repaired it, in the last week of the month of may, and my wife, who really can't live without the air conditioning, says it is performing perfectly...

My repair only lasted a month more, after posting that message, and the culprit was another Leak in the Compressor, which was my fault; let me elaborate:

When I changed the small and thick O-Ring on the inner side of the Compressor, I underestimated the Big O-Ring on the outer side of the same Compressor and reutilized the same; only to fail in few weeks...

So, I went on a trip to Capital City and purchased more cans of r134a gas and the complete Set of O-Rings for the Sephia's Compressor; but this time, instead of the Esther lubricant, I obtained the Daphne lubricant, that is the one mentioned on the compressor itself, as the required one.

The car has been running Great, for a twenty years old Korean car... the Shock Absorbers started to leak, but they are the Original ones that came with the Car, so the suspension on this sedan is very good and strong; it handled great even in our unpaved roads, the offroadings and the plenty-of-pot-holes "paved" roads, there are even pot holes inside the pot holes here...

ShockAbsorber.jpg

8 hours ago, Legacy777 said:

Good to hear the new oil is working well with the AC system!

Thank you:)

in fact, this Li'l Kia features an outstanding Air Conditioner for a cheap korean sedan,

and has been working absolutely great, thanks to God.

I'm glad of using the proper lubrication on it.

Kind Regards.

• 4 months later...

I've been facing hard times findining a new Web Host site to share my Photos online; since the Photobuckshít Fiasco.

So, I'll share here some, in order to find out if this new host, works:

Photo:

2nsSbxF.jpg

I broke yet another one...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I uploaded this Video, it is another Subject:

https://i.imgur.com/KbZsSLZ.mp4

I can not get it to display here, properly.

Some months ago, prior to this worldwide "quarantine times" we were in a weekend car ride to another town nearby, in this Kia, when Suddenly we felt a burnt wirings' Smell!!!

So, after reaching to a restaurant to lunch, I checked my Wife's car, this kia sephia, from top to bottom, everywhere, without finding anything wrong.

Right after lunch, the car needed several key turns to catch start its engine, which isn't normal for it... then we went to the Supermarket. 

While my Wife and my Daughter were shopping groceries, vegetables, etc... I returned to check further on the "KiaStein" but didn't see anything wrong... and the thing took much more tries prior to get the engine running.

So, we decided to go back home immediately; we reached home but the car's engine died in the sidewalk, just while she were parking, with no avail to restart it...

After that, I spent the whole weekend trying to figure out what the heck could be happening... I felt like my Dog, smelling and smelling around the car, inside and outside to find the area where the bad smell like burning wiring was gererating.

As the car seemed to fail a couple of times during the short trip back home; just like if it was short on gasoline; I smelled around the rear seat area and managed to find the smell's origin there... (it wasn't a Fart for sure) ...so I decided to remove the rear seat and check the Fuel Pump's Wiring. 

Everything looked alright, but the smell was stronger in that area... so I decided to extract the whole fuel pump assembly, in order to check the Wiring inside the Fuel Tank. 

Even the pump assembly looked alright then...

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo