Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kia Sephia Sporty

As mi Daughter asked, we went to visit an Active Volcano; the "Masaya" Volcano is located nearby the Masaya City, in Nicaragua. There is a very nice museum at the Base of the Volcano, which includes many artworks related to the volcano, and discoveries from the area. Let me share some photos:

After driving for a while, from the Museum to the Mere Volcano, we reached the Top area where a Car could go, there is a Huge Parking Lot where you should leave your car and then go Walking to the Volcano's top.

This is a Warning we saw at said parking Lot:

10010564_693660037346694_400530372817662

This is the Volcano's Opening:

10295145_693662664013098_459764876432524

Closer View:

1534703_693662057346492_7448546025737405

Another Perspective:

10271333_694865243892840_690489241735994

This photo, is one of the very Few I could take in Costa-Rica, because after so many photos and videos taken on Nicaragua, the Battery on my Camera ran out of Power without any mercy, and the Charger was many hundreds of kilometers away, at home... 

So, I've learned a New English word 
(to me): "BLERCH" as seen in a Bumper Sticker, in a Costa-Rican Car, a prius hybrid; see:

1801308_695113513868013_1810673737425539

I found the explanatory website:

Running On Sentences: The Blerch

Kind Regards.

"mark as read"

wow JesZ, nice work, every detail included, with the exception of the colour of your underwear it would seem :D

This is a good write up, detailing the thoughts that must cross the minds of many of us so busy with practical improvements on our cars, whether they be Subarus - or heavens forbid - a flippin; KIA :D :D

I'm glad it is all working out for you, resolving ideas to try one or the other option.

Just curious if you get rain in the Honduras and whether you have tested the levels of braking in the wet ?

After I added the disc rear to my Brumby, the next few days were wet, so got to test all ranges of braking in the wet. I was able to brake and steer at the same time, with perfect control of the vehicle at all tested speeds. The drum brake set up that was overhauled 100,00km earlier, essentially had done stuff all work in all that time. Drum brakes should be outlawed on any new car in production anywhere in the world !

With the Bumble beast getting a bit long in the tooth - is it time to upgrade to an EJ series, or did they continue the EA82 into the Impreza and Legacys in CA ? :D

Waiting for the disc conversion completion now

• Like 1

...wow JesZ, nice work, every detail included, with the exception of the colour of your underwear it would seem :D

This is a good write up, detailing the thoughts that must cross the minds of many of us so busy with practical improvements on our cars, whether they be Subarus - or heavens forbid - a flippin; KIA :D :D ...

Thank you!

... Just curious if you get rain in the Honduras and whether you have tested the levels of braking in the wet ? ...

Yep! ... The Brakes has been already Tested in Many Situations, such as Dry Pavement, Sandy / Dusty Pavement, Gravel Roads, Unpaved Roads, Muddy Roads during Rain... Using Soft Braking, Medium Braking and Hard Braking / Stomping on the Pedal as Mad... and the Sephia stops nice in each situation as a Sephia could do.

I mean the entire vehicle performs identical as it was before the Master Cylinder change, but now it has a much Taller and Responsive, but stiff brake pedal, which only needs to go in 25% of the travel, while before the Master Cylinder change, it needed to go 75% of the travel on the same average usage.

I Hope that by Changing the Rear Drums with Rear Discs will improve braking performance by avoiding the Rear Wheels from Locking easily, since the Rear Drums are Oval, which somehow is "Normal" after 160K Miles / 15 Years of use in an Automatic Car. Also I'll get Rid from the Monthly adjustments to the rear shoes...

...did they continue the EA82 into the Impreza and Legacys in CA ? :D

Nope!

Early Subaru EJ engines came with Factory Carburator & Distributor, up 'till 1994 (as you can see on a Link, posted at the Very First Post of this mere thread) but no Legacy nor impreza used an EA engine from factory, never.

My "BumbleBeast" works awesome with his original EA82 Engine, which is Weberized; 300K miles and Rumbling strong, I don't need an EJ Swap 'cos it is not a race car. The Good Ol' EA82 is enough for my kind of driving; even lifted + 25" tires. More info clickin' on my Signature.

... Waiting for the disc conversion completion now

Yes, Me too...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

What engine RPM did you notice the change in pedal feel?  Was it at a lower RPM or a little bit higher?

The reason I ask is because you did a bit of mountain driving and the ECU's typically have a barometric sensor that adjusts air-fuel-ratio based on atmospheric pressure.  When you come back down to a lower elevation the AFR's should change, but the ECU has stored fuel trim information from running at higher elevations.  This could in turn cause some lower rpms at idle and that can affect engine vacuum....which powers the brake booster.

That's a shot in the dark, but if it continues, you may consider resetting the ECU.
  • Like 1

... lower rpms at idle and that can affect engine vacuum....which powers the brake booster...

That is a good idea; but in the case of the "KiaStein", the RPM's are normal, it keeps idling stable at ~ 900 RPM's, a little high because the sedan is Automatic.

However, now I Know what went wrong: The Booster Gave up :o 

Today's late afternoon, I was driving back to home from my office, doing ~ 25 MPH behind a huge truck, approaching to a semaphore (Traffic Light) and suddenly, the Brake Pedal was stiff as a Wall... I had to push it extremely Hard to make the car to Stop, and almost hit the Truck, but nothing dramatical, due to the slow speeds and safe distance from it.

At first I didn't know exactly what was goin' on, so I pulled on a side of the street to a Gas Station nearby and started checking everything; after seeing that all was "Normal", I noticed that everytime I touched the Brake Pedal, the idling engine looses its stability and acts like it has a Vacuum leak, first stumbling and then rough idling; also I can Hear said vacuum leak inside the Cabin, around the Pedal...

I Did a small "Confirmation" test, I pumped the brake pedal with the engine off, then, keeping the foot on the brake pedal, I started the engine, in order to feel if the Brake Booster is working... and No, it is completely dead

After almost half hour, I managed to drive the car back to home, at very low speeds, with all my foot on the brake pedal...

Seems like the many tests I did, some of them including "Stomping like Mad" on the Brake Pedal, have torn the rubber diaphragm inside the booster... shortening its lifespan... but it already has 15 years and more than 160K miles, and being automatic, the car relies more on the Brakes.

Already I was thinking seriously about changing that Single Diaphragm Booster, intended for the 7/8" Master Cylinder; with a Double Diaphragm Booster, intended for the New 1" Master Cylinder, seeking to get Rid from the Stiff Pedal... so this situation only accelerated things up.

Tomorrow I'll ask kind permission to my Boss, to not go to the office in the morning and I'll grab my Vernier Scale once again: I'll Hunt for a suitable Replacement Booster with Double Diaphragm; wish me Luck!

Kind Regards.

Glad to hear you at least figured out what the problem was.  I don't know how the boosters are on the Kia's, but I personally am not a big fan of the tandem diaphragm boosters on the Subaru's.  The pedal has a "dead" area near the top where nothing really happens with the braking, and then the pedal firms up.  I have replaced my tandem diaphragm booster with a single diaphragm booster and much prefer the linear and firmer pedal feel. 

Keep us posted on how things go after the replacement.

• Like 1

PROBLEM: SOLVED!!!

happy0158.gif

And in an Awesome way, let me tell you the long story, short: First I removed the Brake Booster from the "KiaStein" and using my Vernier Scale, I measured how much free space the engine bay has, to accomodate a Bigger / Beefier Brake Booster; in order to see if I could install without problems, the Sportage's Dual Diaphragm Booster that should go with the Sportage's 1" bore Master Cylinder I installed onto the "KiaStein".

I found this measurements on the Booster's back:

BackMeasurements.jpg

Then, I went to one of the Local Kia Dealer's parts stores and asked to the salesman to let me see the Sportage's Brake Booster that goes with the Sportage's Master Cylinder I installed, and he showed it to me... but they wanted a Crazy Amount of Money for it... around five times more than the Master Cylinder costed to me; also I asked for the ABS Spectra's (Dual Diaphragm) Booster, but that wasn't available; so I left the Place without buying anything...

After that, I Went to many, many Aftermarket parts' stores... Sportages came with two different Master Cylinder / Booster designs, one is identical to the Sephia, which has an elongated push rod that comes out from the master cylinder to the Booster; and that mere design, which is the one that I was searching for, is very hard to Find; salesmen at those aftermarket stores, showed to me the other design, which is the traditional where the Master Cylinder only has a hole to receive the Booster's pin.

Finally, I went to many Junk Yards, which are called here "Yónkers" searchin' for that Sportage's or ABS Spectra's Brake Booster...

The Local Junk Yards, called here "Yónkers" are not like the PaP (Pull a Part) or other styles in USA, because in my Li'l country, they remove the useful parts from the cars, and write on them with water paint markers, the Name / Model \ Year of the car where the part was taken from. The rest of the Car, is sent to the Recycler.

So, our "Yónkers" ends being some sort of poor men's department stores, which are organized like this:

Overview:

Yonker1.jpg

Doors / Tailgates:

Yonker3.jpg

Tail Lights / Grilles:

Yonker4.jpg

Engines:

Yonker2.jpg

And much more different Areas, which have only Seats, Bumpers, ECU's, Transmissions, Stereos, Brakes, Glasses, Steering parts, Suspension Parts, etc...

So, searching among different Brake Boosters on their "Brakes" areas at different "Yónkers", I did not found any Kia Sportage / Hyundai Tucson Brake Booster with the proper style I was searching for, only the other style; also there was not a single ABS Spectra Brake Booster available.

But, since many Kia Products are based upon Mazda Products; I started to search among Mazda Brake Boosters; after all, the Kia Sephia is based on the Mazda 323 / Protege.

So, the Brake Booster I was searching, must have the Proper Measurements
to receive with perfect fit, the 1" Master Cylinder I Used:

SportageMasterCylinder.jpg

Also it should have the Same Measurements and design, to be installed onto the Brake Pedal
as the original one, without any dangerous adaptation:

BackMeasurements.jpg

And I Discovered that the Mazda Miata, MX-6, Millennia, certain 626, etc... uses the Same Style Brake Boosters + Master Cylinders than the ones on the Sephia: With elongated push rod that comes out from the Master Cylinder.

Finally, I Found it!!! thumbsup.gif

After taken all the Measurements with my Vernier Scale, and triple check them, I found a Double Diaphragm Booster that only had written in white paint marker letters: "99 Mazda" which has the Perfect Measurements. It says "Bendix License" and has stamped the part number: 852-04927 and the Brand is JKC, which is a Japanese subsidiary of BOSCH.

It has identical measurements to the Sephia's one on the Rear / Base that has the screws to mount it to the Car / Brake Pedal, also with same long and size screws. Despite that the total lenght of the pin that goes to the pedal was one centimeter shorter, it has adjustment and enough thread left to be adjusted to the proper lenght.

Also it has identical measurements to the Sephia's one on the front that has the screws to mount the Master Cylinder, also with same long and size screws. The opening also has the same Measurements
(inner & Outer) to fit the Sportage's Master Cylinder I Used, which seals perfectly. (so it would work with the Sephia's master cylinder too).

I took it Home, it didn't has rust but some paint was fading and was pretty dirty on the outside; so after some cleansing, I decided to spray some Rustoleum Painting, Except the area around the Openings, which were covered with Maskin' tape, to avoid the paint from going inside and damaging the Rubber Diaphragms with its solvents.

This is the Brake Booster I Purchased:

JKC852-04927.jpg

Note: My Camera's lens creates a weird effect on the Photos that are taken very close, because the mounting screws looks like they were awry to the sides, but they're perfectly straight to the front.

I searched on internet for the car on which this Brake Booster came from...

Onlineinfo.jpg

...and it came on an Automatic models of the Mazda 323 / Protege from the 1990's decade.

But also it might came in another Mazda models as well... I investigated further online, and I found that the Automatic Mazda 323 / Protege which features this Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster, has the Following Part Numbers:

BC1G-43-800A
BG3K-43-800A

The ABS model of the Kia Sephia / Spectra with Dual Diaphragm Booster, has a pretty similar part number:

K2A3-43-800

-----Equivalent / Cross Reference parts numbers for Said Mazda Booster, according to info found online, are:

Wagner / Cardone = 53-2528
Bendix = R 2517997

-----Equivalent / Cross Reference parts numbers for the Kia Booster, according to info found online, are:

Single Diaphragm Booster: Wagner / Cardone = 53-2049
Double Diaphragm Booster: Wagner / Cardone = 53-8323

DISCLAIMER: I have Not measured nor Tested any other Brake Booster than the JKC 852-04927, so I can not guarantee that the other numbers here written, are exactly the same or equivalent as that one, nor guarantee that they'll fit and work properly; since all this information on part numbers and cross references, were found online at different web sites.

I only measured and tested the JKC 852-04927 Brake Booster, but I'm not telling you to do this parts swap; I'm only telling my story; so use all the information I post, at your Own Risk.