Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simply I changed the worn out main pulley, with this brand new one, along the four bolts which holds it to the Sprocket for the timing belt, at the crankshaft; and the annoying screech noise, went away... and has been like that since a couple of months ago.

Kind Regards.

Some time ago, the bar that serves to hold open up the engine bay cover, got loose and came out from its plastic base holder; also it lost the plastic that held the bar itself when it is not in use, over the fender.

Barra%201.jpg

What I did, was to drill a ⅛" hole on the bar's base, and pass-thru said hole, a screw,

which was placed from the inner side of the fender, in order to hold the bar firmly, in place.

Barra%202.jpg

The screw was twisted with my pliers, after placing it, to avoid it from slipping out.

And I twisted the metal base on the fender, where the plastic tab was Lost, in order to let it hold the bar in place; and I added a piece of hose to the bar, to avoid vibrations that might cause more annoying sounds...

Power Steering stories.

It took me a Year to post this information, but I wanted to be Sure that this "Lazy" repair, really works, prior to share the idea here; however, I am not telling nor suggesting that you should do this... Let me explain.

During year 2013, the Power Steering rack of our
"KiaStein" started to Leak fluid, very slowly. At first, it was almost unnoticeable, except for the lower fluid level on the reservoir... I only kept the level as it should be, by simply refilling the reservoir; then next year the car started to mark its territory, you know, leaving oily spots on the Garage and other places...

The Owner's manual for the 2000 model year Kia Sephia, states that it uses ATF
(Automatic Transmission Fluid) on the Power Steering System; just like my 1985 Subaru, which by the way, also Leaked from the Power Steering Rack, years ago, and I decided to do the Same I did then, with my Subie: I drained all the ATF from the Power Steering System and after cleansing it, I poured a mixture of Fresh Power Steering Fluid and Lucas' "Stop Leak" Power Steering Additive; that combo has worked Flawlessly for my Subie, since many years ago.

Like in my Subie, this Kia's Steering wheel became a little bit harder to steer after the Fluid's Swap; that difference is noticeable but nothing dramatic; in fact, it adds a
"Sporty" feeling to the Steering on these cars, somehow, but also makes the pump to spin quieter, and the engine's bay becomes a li'l bit less noisy.

The fluid swap worked well on my Subie, as it is about to reach two decades without getting worse, and there are no noticeable leaks, only needing a couple of ounces or so of Power Steering Fluid, yearly; but the fluid swap didn't worked well on the "KiaStein" somehow, as the leakage only slowed down, but persisted.

Then, we moved from the Big city to a small town in the mountainous rural area of Honduras, where I met several local folks including Master mechanics, some of them already have more than fifty years of experience; I talked to some of them, and they said to me something weird:

- Pour an ounce of fresh Brake Fluid DOT 3 to your Power Steering Fluid.

- Say What? ohmy.gif

- Yes, the Brake Fluid will inflame the rubber on the Seals.

So, what they said is that the Rubber seals, shrinks with age, and the continuous exposure to the hot oil; and the Brake Fluid tends to do the opposite to them; but such solution is like certain medicines, which only do good when they are taken in tiny amounts, and they are Venom in considerable amounts.

I hesitated to follow their advice, meanwhile the Leak got worse.

As things got worse, my Wife had to pour almost daily Power Steering fluid, and also she tried with Power Steering "Stop Leak" additives from any brand that she found on her way home... but those went out from the steering rack, twice the fast than the mere Power Steering fluid itself.

So, I knew that I have to change the Steering Rack.

...or try the Brake Fluid trick...

What could I loose?

Well, damaging the Power Steering Pump was my worry, as it has been Flawlessly working on the Kia since new. But after lots of thinking, and after knowing that the Local junk yards around the Rural area where I live, didn't had any Sephias to do the Swap... I decided to try that old mechanic's trick: I poured a couple of ounces of Brake Fluid on the Power Steering's Fluid reservoir.

Long Story Short:

At first, nothing changed at all, we had to refill the Power Steering reservoir with more Power Steering fluid, but only the next two days after I added the Brake Fluid to the system; after that, the Leak slowed down to the half, and after a week, the Leak was absolutely Gone!

...and the system hasn't leaked a single Drop in over a Year!!! :o

Definitely, this trick has some hidden science behind, and might not work well on all the hydraulic systems; but I am really pleased with this Lazy solution, so far.  :)

Maybe the Power Steering hydraulics could fail again in the future and restart to Leak; but this trick gives you more than enough time to obtain the needed parts to do the repairs.

I've not obtained another Steering Rack yet, because seems that the parts' swap isn't necessary; we have other priorities and the "KiaStein" keeps working Flawlessly, thanks to God.

Kind Regards.