Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dead cruise, horn, and hazards on 93 Impreza Wagon

Okay, I recently picked up a new work beater Impreza wagon and it has a few stupid issues. Before I continue, I did check ALL fuses to make sure they were okay.

Item 1: The hazard lights don't work. Turn signals are fine, but no four way flashers. I tried swapping the hazard switch with one I know works as well as the flasher unit behind the radio to no avail.

Item 2: The horn doesn't work. Didn't hear the relay clicking either when pressing on the horn buttons.

Item 3: Cruise control doesn't work as well. I tried setting it at 30-80 MPH with no results. Pushing the CRUISE button on the dash in between tries didn't help. Also, the cruise button doesn't light up when pressed.

That's about it for now, it runs and drives all right and besides being rusty and having the exhaust fall off it's a pretty decent car for $440.

I only have a thought for the cruise control. If it is a 5 speed, I would suspect the stopper on the clutch pedal to be missing and thus, no signal to the control unit that the clutch is completely released. It is a simple, small, cheap part that is rather obvious should you look at the switches mounted on the pedal bracket. The top one, where the clutch pedal rests should have a white plastic stopper in the pedal to push the switch.

The horn issue has been solved! Thanks to some good ol' corrosion, the relay was ultra nastified as well as it's plug. I cut the plug off and wired in a regular relay and all is well with that. Trying to find out how it got corroded led me to the rust surrounding the windshield, the damp headliner board around it, and the fact that the windshield wasn't setting right. So last night I attempted to remove it in one piece and that didn't happen... oops...

At any rate, now I have to clean up all this nasty rust and get a new windshield installed... subpar windshield installs suck and will cause your car a lot of damage, trust me on that. :(