Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any diff at all in 82 and 83 brat wheels

i have a 83 brat and i have 3 83 wheels and one 82 wheel, is there any diff at all in them. i had them all acid dipped and im ready to get them powdercoated off white like factory, but is there any difference in these. like where the hub cap mounts it like of looks different but maybe its just me. its hard to tell

matt

The difference in the wheels that you see may be the center. Some required a plastic washer to accomodate the center caps and some did not. Measure the centers to see if they are the same diameter. If they are not then all you need is the plastic that slips around the hole for the centercap.

As for the rotor issue. If you change to vented rotors you'll need the calipers as well. They will provide better braking and are a bit easier to find these days.

well that pi**es me off... i shoulda measured them good before i went and got them dipped. the 82 hub cap deal is 1/8 inch smaller. i have 4 new plastics for the caps so wonder if i can still use it.. im thinking no and have to go get that 83 wheel from the previous owner of the brat.. thanks

matt

my 83 2wd wagon had solid rotors, the 83 turbo had vented

now as far as ea81 and ea82 spoked wheels, the main difference to tell from is:

the spokes on an ea81 rim will meet the rim at close to a 90 drg angle, whereas the ea82 spokes will round out into the rim, basically the little "triangles" of space will have round corners on ea82, and sharper corners on ea81

if my analogies make sense....