Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front axle question: inboard side

i was just replacing a ball joint and had some trouble with the axle not wanting to go in all the way so i could get it back together. well, i couldn't get it t go back tgether and realized an odd piece of metal inside th boot. i took it off, gotcovered in grease and found that crown loking ring piece that should fit up inside the DOJ. i don't have the slightest idea as of how i can gt this to go back together. what should i do? any useful posts?

thanks fellas,

Brian

well I never had it hapen before like that.:eek:

when I was a kid my dad gave me a CV joint in pieces and told me to put it back together. It was doable.

I would get it all cleaned up and see if its going to live or need replacement.

mabey that was part of your original problem? or did you twist the joint too far?

i never had a problem with it before. i was replacing a busted rump roast ball joint and it just pulled it out too far. i think that the retainer ring just didn't function and it came out letting the "crown type thing" to come with it. The axle normally moved in and out when i replaced the lower control arm earlier. How doe this go back together? i slid the "crown" back up and tried to insert everything and the axle and DOJ just would't lock up. i need transportation aaagh!

if you are talking about a circlip, a big round one that takes up the inner circumfrence of the doj, simply slide the axle in all the way, and then the ring pops into a groove.

if the ring pulled out, you may have to "expamd" it by pulling it wider, so it stays in

if you are talking about the very end that goes onto the trans, the metal lipm that is just a dust cover, you can take it off or bend it out of the way.