Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 4WD Brat Coil Springs

My front springs are sagged to the max and the adjusters are all the way out . I need new coils . What do you suggest ? I want it up higher than stock but not riding right up against the bumpstops .

I'd rather get new than experimenting with junkyard stuff . Somebody uses Honda Accord springs but wont that be too much tension ? I'd like to get them at NAPA if possible . Theres no Sube dealer out here or I'd go there . What should I look for ?

4WD , no A/C , winch or anything heavy up front . Aftermarket steel front bumper but it cant weigh that much

Tx ,

Bob

you should be able to get new springs from the dealer...

the accord springs are for rear use in ea82 based vehicles... not ea81 vehicle, unless converted to rear cooilovers of course...

if you can find some RX springs, they have a higher rate, and will lift the vehicle about an inch over stock... an make your ride a little stiffer....

and the ea81 and ea81 springs interchange, so you could even get 1994 Loyale front springs, and they will fit....

did you mean ea81 and ea 82 springs interchange ? I did a search on the forum b4 posting but nothing comes up helpful on the Brat springs situation .

I've heard they arent too expensive new from the dealer .... its just we dont have one out here in my area thus the interchange try . And the dealer websites are hopeless to try and order from . Maybe next trip to Las Vegas I can call ahead and pick some up .... pretty sure they have a dealership up there .

I was looking for a shortcut substitute through local parts houses . :) hehe .

They dont show a listing for a Brat ... and if they dont have an exact year and model they are completely lost .

tnx ,

cBob

Edited by clunkerbob

I've heard they arent too expensive new from the dealer .... its just we dont have one out here in my area thus the interchange try . And the dealer websites are hopeless to try and order from . :) hehe .

They dont show a listing for a Brat ... and if they dont have an exact year and model they are completely lost .

tnx ,

cBob

Give Jason in Parts a call at Mike Scarf Subaru in Auburn, WA. Toll free: 1-866-528-5282, he should be able to help you out. I always call direct since the website is a terror to try to navigate.

you should be able to get new springs from the dealer...

the accord springs are for rear use in ea82 based vehicles... not ea81 vehicle, unless converted to rear cooilovers of course...

if you can find some RX springs, they have a higher rate, and will lift the vehicle about an inch over stock... an make your ride a little stiffer....

and the ea81 and ea81 springs interchange, so you could even get 1994 Loyale front springs, and they will fit....

hi,

i want in the spring thing, the ea 81 and ea 82 springs are not the same, and the upper seats are a lot different. Ea-81 front springs have a chopped off coil on both ends, so they are not flat on either end, and the upper spring top is made for that style, also the center hole is different from ea-82. they came standard with 134lb/in and 146 lb/in on turbo cars in 83-84, also the turbo ea-81 spring is made from larger diameter wire than the standard ea-81 springs ( the same size as the ea-82 springs ) again ea-81 springs are not flat on either end.

the EA-82 springs have a chopped end coil on bottom and a taperflat cut on top, so they are flat on top, and the upper spring hats are for that style, and the center hole is different from ea-81. these are 134 lb/in standard and rx is 146 lb/in, xt6 is 170 something.

i have taken apart struts that have parts mixed together so stuff will assemble incorrectly and run .

i have recently been swapping a lot of struts and have taken a bunch apart is how i noticed the differences.