Ultimate Subaru Message Board

half shaft hell, help me

I was trying to put in my nice new lsd today. I had the diff, halfshafts out and driveline disconnected in 15 minutes. That was at 2:00. Its' now 7:30. The problem, the half shaft are still in the diff. I have tried everything, hydraulic separater(i think thats the name) slide hammer setup, brass punch, chisel, crow bar. Soaking it in penetrating lube. The half shafts still won't come out. Is there a secret that i have totally missed. Yes, all the pins are out. I also kinda of toar up the little metal shield that is on the half shaft where it connects to the diff. Haynes calls it a baffle shield or something.

can you get the axles to slide off at the brake drum ends of the axles? If so take the rear diff and rear axles out as 1 big piece. Then you can work on the whole assembly off the car where you can stand above it, really pound on it, etc. If you break something you have your LSD rear diff already and rear axles can be acquired.

yeah, the whole diff, connected to the half shafts is out sitting in the garage. I have not tried heat. I just tried a sledge and axe though, still to no avail. Maybe i'll try heat next. Lucky my computer is right next to the garage. Keep the ideas flowing and i'll keep trying them.

yes, i'm sure that the whole pin is out because i'm swearing at it right now. I tried that technique earlier this evening to no avail. I guess i'll just sleep on it and then hit it again tomorrow. Is it possible that since my car is a TURBO that someone before me bought the 25 spline front axles and put them in the rear where the 23 splines are supposed to be. (This is a late night comment and does not carry that much merit.)

Try again in the morning after letting it soak in PB blaster or a really good rust penetrant. Have you replaced an axle before? I don't want to offend you by suggesting you aren't doing something obvious (whats obvious to some isn't to all). Does the inner joint slide at all on the splines away from the differential?

BTW The dust/shaft seal can be boogered up, they aren't absolutely necessary.

I have had that much problem before too...but down here in ROAD SALT HE__ we just kindof assume thats going to happen on rear axles.

yeah. I had to use a big hammer that looked like a flat pick axe/prybar thing on one side that curved near the end, and a hammering surface on the other end. I placed the curved end of it on the axle cup, and rested the body up againts the diff, then had a flat hammering surface on the other side, and used a BFH. it took me a good holf hour of whack, rotate axle, whack, rotate axle...... and so on... finally came off...