Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 outback limited .rear door skin removal

Hi All , this is my first post, and I have 2 questions that I hope can be answered by the forum.

Firstly i bought a 1997 outback , limited edition in Australia.

For those that dont have the limited it came with 6 disk cd palyer , 6 speaker stereo, sun roof, keyless entry and that wood grain finish ( in plastic :)).

I wanted to replace the speakers , which are well and truly worn .

I managed to do the front doors easily, but the rear door skins are proving to be a problem and seem different to the fronts.

So, first question .

1) Is there a trick to taking out the screws ? I have removed 2 ( in the lever area and handle area) but another seems to be where the electric window button is .All the clips come out fine.

Before I and get too rough with the plastic insert over the button, Is there a screw under it ?. and will it snap in half if try to hard to un-pry it without special tools etc ?

2) This car came with no keyless entry , but according to subaru , the VIN ,

says that the model did have one. So I would want to get one , but the original will cost AU$300 dollars plus ! So do I have an option of buying a replacement after market like "keyless ride" and getting it reprogrammed, without having the original? The Aussie model doesn't seem to have the button under the drivers side for reseting the keyless entry system . Does anyone know if this can be done without the dealer, and what is the FCCID , GOH numbers etc, have to do with it?

thanks in advance for your replies

James

Just those two screws. Hold the door handle out when you try to move the panel away. I go around the outter lip with a paint roller cleaning tool, its flat and sturdy and will pop all of the plastic clips out. Then you can remove it. It's easier with the window down.

The keyless would be tucked up under the dash on the drivers side. I usually held in with a couple of zip strips. It's about 4" x 5" x 1" black box.

Mine are GOH units. I think I have a used one with the wiring.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

There's no screws behind the switch but you need to get it out to disconnect the wire harness. I think there's a clip back there though. Should just pop out with a good tug. Pull the bottom of the panel outwards and stick your hand up behind there to get more direct pressure on it.

>There's no screws behind the switch but you need to get it out to disconnect >the wire harness. I think there's a clip back there though. Should just pop out >with a good tug. Pull the bottom of the panel outwards and stick your hand up >behind there to get more direct pressure on it.

It seems quite solid though, hence I presumed there be a screw.

Maybe the clip is bigger then the edge clips, so alot stronger, I have been putting a lot of force in trying to get it off. Both rear doors have the same problem . Does the plastic insert around the switch come out( clipped in ) , or is it stuck down with glue?

I'll give it a try.Thanks for that

Also Imdew, I looked for that black box under the dash , and no luck .Its definately not there. gonna try subaru again and see if there is another way on australian models.