Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback -- Need compatibility details

This is my first post on this board. I am looking for some details on a 98 Legacy Outback that I may buy from someone. It has a 2.5 AT in it but needs a rear differential and axles. It is being run with the fuse in the FWD wire under the hood right now and works just fine that way. Someone a few houses away has a 96 Legacy Outback that I think is a 2.2 MT that he may sell for parts.

My question is will the rear diff and axles from the 96 match up to the 98 without any further modifications? I want to make sure I can easily and cost-effectively restore the AWD on the 98 before I buy it.

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

I believe the rear differentials will have different gear ratios between the 98 AT and 96 MT.

My question is, what are the symptoms that the fuse in the FWD cures? If that stops a problem it may be a transfer case issue and not a rear differential.

Can you give us more info on the problems?

yeah your rear diff is probably fine, those rarely fail.

the 96 will not offer any parts to fix this vehicle. if the rear diff is bad the final drive ratio won't match. if the transfer clutches are bad the manual trans won't have the parts for it.

but a 96 MT outback is a nice vehicle!

sounds like you probably have torque bind, fluid changes, matching tires, or the additive will fix it - all of that is covered in immense detail here.

I believe the rear differentials will have different gear ratios between the 98 AT and 96 MT.

My question is, what are the symptoms that the fuse in the FWD cures? If that stops a problem it may be a transfer case issue and not a rear differential.

Can you give us more info on the problems?

I am not 100% clear on the 98 as it isn't mine yet. From what I am told the rear diff/axles aren't on the vehicle anymore as they have failed in the past and the current owner has the fuse in there to run it as a FWD since the AWD parts aren't there anymore. So I am trying to find the lowest cost way to restore the AWD on the 98, and the fact that one of my neighbors has a 96 that he will let go at "boneyard" prices would be a very cost-effective way. So if the gear ratios are different between the two then which vehicles would offer the right parts for the 98?

yeah your rear diff is probably fine, those rarely fail.

the 96 will not offer any parts to fix this vehicle. if the rear diff is bad the final drive ratio won't match. if the transfer clutches are bad the manual trans won't have the parts for it.

but a 96 MT outback is a nice vehicle!

sounds like you probably have torque bind, fluid changes, matching tires, or the additive will fix it - all of that is covered in immense detail here.

The rear diff has already been removed from the 98, from what the owner tells me. So I will need to find suitable parts to restore the AWD on this vehicle. The 96 has a blown head gasket and missing parts as it has been a parts car for that owner's 97 Legacy Outback. The 98 needs the rear diff parts and a brake job where the 96 needs a HG and framework done.

Thank you all for your help with this.

what a mess of ill treated subarus, good job trying to save one!

as for the AWD restoration, i wouldn't be surprised to see a mis-diagnosis here. in other words you replace the rear axles and diff and the rear transfer clutches in the trans are hosed. that's quite a common misdiagnosis.

normally those can be fixed with just getting the tires properly matches, changing the fluid, adding the additive referenced in other threads or the last resort is replacing the clutches. those can be new or buy them off a borked auto trans. good news is it can easily be done without removing the trans and if you can swap in a rear diff and axle you can definitely do that too.

as for compatability with the rear diff. any (and only) EJ25 automatic will be 4.44. i used to have one, not sure if i still do or sold it.

Go over this car with a fine tooth comb. Removing the rear diff for torque bind id like cutting off a leg to cure a hangnail. The FWD fuse has no effect on the way the car operates when the RWD is removed.

Only God knows what else is wrong with this car.

nipper

Go over this car with a fine tooth comb. Removing the rear diff for torque bind id like cutting off a leg to cure a hangnail. The FWD fuse has no effect on the way the car operates when the RWD is removed.

Only God knows what else is wrong with this car.

nipper

aggree. both cars sound BADLY neglected, and neutered to never be worth really saving in my opinion. once neutered, never will be the same. I am sure you are getting these for free or else a few bucks, so if you have plenty of time, then you will for sure end up witha BIG pile of $$$$ into these in the end because the previous owner so badly neglected them, there is bound to be MANY other things wrong besides the obvious, might as well buy a decent one to begin with./

"The 98 needs the rear diff parts and a brake job where the 96 needs a HG and framework done." both are MONEY PITS

Edited by bheinen74

The rear diff has already been removed from the 98, from what the owner tells me. So I will need to find suitable parts to restore the AWD on this vehicle. The 96 has a blown head gasket and missing parts as it has been a parts car for that owner's 97 Legacy Outback. The 98 needs the rear diff parts and a brake job where the 96 needs a HG and framework done.

Thank you all for your help with this.

until you inspect the car you will not know, but i doubt the rear diff has been removed. it is too easy to remove the rear drive shaft instead. if you pull the rear diff, you have to deal with the axles, you can't just remove them cause the bearings will implode. so probably the rear shaft is gone, and the diff and axles are still there. but you never know until you look.

OR ....... everything is still there and the FWD fuse is in doing all the work.

Edited by johnceggleston

aggree. both cars sound BADLY neglected, and neutered to never be worth really saving in my opinion. once neutered, never will be the same. I am sure you are getting these for free or else a few bucks, so if you have plenty of time, then you will for sure end up witha BIG pile of $$$$ into these in the end because the previous owner so badly neglected them, there is bound to be MANY other things wrong besides the obvious, might as well buy a decent one to begin with./

"The 98 needs the rear diff parts and a brake job where the 96 needs a HG and framework done." both are MONEY PITS

Thanks to all for your assistance here. About all the details I can give on the 98 are this. It has had the HG replaced. I believe the timing belt and water pump have also been replaced. There was a differential issue on this one, which according to the local junkyard is an issue with 98 year model Outbacks. There is a service updated rear diff for the 99 year which also fits on the 98. This one needs brake pads and maybe rotors too. Everything seems fine while driving it. The heater works as it should. All accessories are working except for the rear wiper, but I think that is a rust issue. My brother-in-law's brother has had this since 2001 and said all the routine maintenance has been done. There are close to 225,000 miles on it. He said he'll let it go as it is for $500. I can get the rear diff and axles from a salvage yard for $250. I am not exactly too rich where I can drop a few grand on something newer so this seems like a good deal to me as he would let me make payments to him rather than all at once.