Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater not working properly

akc

Ok here is what happened I had great heat until the HG blew. then when we fixed them the AC compresser went. after that we turned off the AC and now we have no heat. It blows out coolish warmish air but nothing to warm you with (At least this is the PNW not much snow) When I turn the air on COld it blows faster and colder but when you put it on hot it just kindy barely comes out and it is not hot even when the engine is at temp . Where should I start checking. Does this sound like a sticky vent or clogged heater core. and where are those things located? I can hear the fan on but I can barely feel it move out when it is on hot when it is on cold it moves.

The temp selector is in The hot postition Understand hubby used to drive tow truck and he was called to jump start vehicles that all they needed was to be put in park.

I will try to flush the heater core the radiator is new. but I have no idea what the heater core looks like.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 84 brat that does the same thing. I can turn the heat on for defrost and it will just barely blow out some tepid air. But no actual heat heat which i need to get fixxed soon. It is turnin winter here in NC. I can still defog my windshield so I know the fans are blowing properly. I assumed i would need a new heater core.

AKC - the heater core looks just like a radiator except smaller. Most are installed under the dash area.

Flushed the heater core (per instructions I found on a post here. Isolating it from the engine and radiator) I had flushed out the whole system but that did not work but when I did it as one of the posts suggested flushing it in both directions the debrie worked its way out and I have HEAT NOW WOW. THe core seems to work great and I do not think it leaks will check when I can get the winsheild leak fixed.