Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Midwest Subaru Meet-April 24th and 25th starts 24th at 11AM

The meet starts April 24th at 11AM at Preparation Canyon State Park and will run into Sunday informally. This park is located in Far Western Iowa near Onawa and Moorhead. Tour drive begins at Noon.

Saturday:

11:00AM-Noon. Meet begins. Maps passed out and a briefing on the tour drive, CB radio checks, vehicles sign up for show and shine.

Noon-Depart tour drive.

Noon-12:20 reserved for driving to the Scenic overlook and a nice view.

12:20 is depart rest of the tour drive toward Onawa for lunch and hitting a carwash for those that want to.

1:00? Lunch at Michaels Dairy/Pizza

(2:00-2:30)-back at the park at the picnic shelter till the end of the meet.

4:00 voting ends and all ballots need to be turned in to count. Award presentation to follow shortly.

This flyer has been faxed to 65 Subaru dealers in the Midwest (states surrounding Iowa and a few further away). You are encouraged to follow up on this fax at your local dealer. Thanks!

Decals will be given to each Subaru in attendance but to insure you get one please RSVP on this post.

This should be fun for all so bring the family along too as this is not your typical car show. Bring the binoculars too as we will do a sightseeing drive around Monona county. The tour drive will take you on roads from fully paved to gravel to full dirt. All vehicles should be able to make it thru the route with the exception of 1 road and I have a mud route and a road route option in place for this. I made it thru the mud route in a Honda CRV but if it rains a lot before the meet this won't be a good option for everyone.

I just came back from the area and I can't wait for April now. I have lived in Iowa my entire life and I am frustrated with myself for never visiting this part of Iowa until now. You really need to check this out for yourself. The only other area in the world with land formations like this China. You can see for miles up in these hills and its not your typical old "boring" Iowa.

What to bring:

1. CB if you own one. Cell signal out here stinks. As of now channel 16 is what we plan to use. I won one on Ebay and will probably have it installed in my Subaru and Mick and quite a few others will have one too.

2. Binoculars. You can see for miles up in these hills and the wildlife around here can be pretty neat.

3. A Subaru. If you own one but it isn't roadworthy drive what runs and show up anyway!

4. A friend or family member with a Subaru.

5. A donation to the board if you wish. The Ultimate Subaru Club treasurer and president will be both be there. Even easier than Paypal or the mail! :cool:

6. Parts you would like to sell or give away.

7. Your GPS unit if you have one. I may find time to demonstrate Geocaching if anyone is interested.

8. Snackfood might be wise. We are going to stop for lunch during the drive in Onawa but it might be 1:00 or later before we get there.

9. A couple bucks worth of quarters in case you want to wash your car for the show and shine. Carwash is in Onawa, a planned stop on the drive.

10. Remote Control Subaru if you own one. At least 2 Tamiya Brats will be coming along.

Planned activities at the show:

Tour Drive of Loess Hills guided by yours truly. I scouted out the area last weekend and tried to find all the hotspots and fun stretches of road. I will bring maps for everyone to be able to use during the cruise.

After the drive around the Loess Hills we will return to the Preparation Canyon park for a show and shine and time for people to chat. This is an organized opportunity for you to show off upgrades you might have done or maybe you have a stock Subaru for everybody to look at how clean and cared for it is. Whatever "class" your car is in it will be appreciated if it has a Pleiades logo on it. There will be 5 awards presented and every Subaru in attendance gets a ballot for voting. Categories will not be announced until the day of the show. I will not be voting and will break any ties instead.

The show officially begins at 11:00AM on Saturday. The first hour will include a briefing on the tour drive and is time to talk to people. A very short distance down the road from the park we will stop again for around 20 minutes at the Scenic Lookout.

A lot of people will be staying over on Saturday night and will be around on Sunday. I believe a lot of the offroad guys will probably want to play on "Olive RD" to see who can climb the highest, etc so hopefully we can find time to do that.

Camping available nearby:

3 miles away from the park is Loess Hills Hideaway that has Cabins and Campsites and a bath house. Camping is $13 a night and cabins are $60 a night for 1-2 people and $10 per extra person. Scroll thru the replies here for info on availability and people that have already reserved.

If primative camping is your thing the Preparation Canyon State park has 8 primitive sites with a fire ring and picnic table only. These sites require a 1/3 mile hike at a minimum to get to them, many more than a mile. These are $9 a night. 2 miles west of Onawa is a state park "Lewis and Clark" and it has a more modern campground with a shower house. I believe this is $13 a night, but its a rather boring campground IMO.

Motels available nearby:

The closest major town is Onawa, Iowa and has a Super 8 Motel. A little further away is Missouri Valley, Iowa with a Days Inn, Super 8 and a "Rath Inn."

Please check out the photos I have posted from my trip to this area in March:

http://usmb.net/gallery/Prep-Canyon-Recon?page=1

Please feel free to post or email any questions you might have to me.

Driving Directions:

From The NorthWest.

I-29 South to the Blencoe Exit (exit 105) which is Just past Onawa.

Go East On E60 until you get to a Gravel Road that is 314th St. Turn left on 314th. This will wind up the hill in to the park (1-2 miles or so). See the bottom for how to get from the park entrance to the picnic shelter.

From the North East.

Find Iowa Hwy 183. Take this South thru Moorhead and to 314th St. Turn West (right). This will take you to a T intersection at the top of the hill. Go left to get into the park. See the bottom for how to get from the park entrance to the picnic shelter.

If you are coming from the South, East or West on I-80 (from the east becomes 680) then Take I-29 North to Exit 95. Go thru Little Sioux on F20 to Pisgah. Turn Left at Pisgah onto Iowa 183. Take 183 to 314th St. Turn West (left). This will take you to a T intersection at the top of the hill. Go left to get into the park.

Once you get to the park heres how to find us:

The park is small and won't involve a lot of driving around to find the group. When you enter the park stay to the right and find the picnic shelter at the dead end. There are 2 shelters at this park, one near the beginning that isn't ours, and then the other one at the far Southeast corner of the park. Please park carefully so that we can pack everybody in as parking is limited. If we run out of parking we may move to the other shelter. The park isn't big enough to worry about finding us though. If you find the Light blue brat with a light blue topper on it YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SPOT.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As of 3/30/04. PM me to update your status please.

RSVP'd:

ShawnW (IA)

McBrat (IA)

ChefTim and Vickaroo (SD)

MorganM (MN)-cancelled

88XT6Joe (WI)

subiemech85 (IA)

eyesore (IA)

Syrinx (MO)

Dave Valiant (SD) and friend with 85 RX.

Archemitis (MN)-cancelled

Redlance (NE)

Oreoacres (IA)

OmahaSubaru(cancelled) and NSOC-1-4 cars from Nebraska Subaru Club, hoping 4 more.

UniqueTII (IA)-likely be there but in a Mazda Protege....

Gessner17

Maybe:

CISSUBARU (OH)

Suby7

Humble_Nuto_53 (MN)

BratBOY! (NE)

SilverShad0w (OH)(cancelled)

Dan from (CO)

ScottS (NE)

Electryc Monk (TX/MI)

Updated as of 4/15/04.

I'm gonna have to do some thinking, thats the two weeks before finals, although its not like i study anyway, and it would be nice to meet the central United States boys and girls. concider this a definate maybe, i have to make sure that the new engine works out, if it does, i'm most definately in.

there aren't really any "true" off-road areas (public) in Iowa, except a place on the east side of the state, but it's mostly jeep rock crawling stuff I think....

we'll just have to see what the dirt roads bring in the area....

Originally posted by eyesore

If we can find some "Class C" minimum maintence roads, those can get really nasty if it's wet.

There are usually a few around. Maybe Shawn's exploratory trip will turn up some potential "play" areas.

yeah those min maitanace roads can be a BLAST! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Pencil me in.

Looks like a 12-13 hr. drive, so scheduling is an issue.

If I can make it, I'll drive the CIS Wagon. It's got a mangled fender, and my formerly imaculate engine is now pretty filthy, but it's probably still the most interesting car I own.

hey noah, i have thought about going, sinsce its so long of a drive, maybe we can meet up along the way?

you could come to indiana fri nite and stay over, then hit the road in the morning

cant be too much farther than WV

Remains to be seen, for sure, but I'm not counting it out. I'm most definitely a 'maybe'.

It looks like most (so far) are coming in from the north and/or west...For any traveling in from the south or southeast, if you are traveling Highway 63 north of I-70/Columbia in Missouri, feel free to drop me a line and maybe we can meet up on your way through coming or going, if I can't make it to the Meet....or if you ever just happen to be in the area.

I live in the Moberly area, about 35 miles north of Columbia or about 40 miles south of Kirksville.

Have a good and Godly day! :wave:

HbL