Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil leak from timing belt cover

I just purchased a 1995 legacy wagon with 80k and in very good condition. The car has been very well maintained and is beautiful. I'm completely new to Subaru and am in a learning process.

I do have an oil leak dripping from the bottom of the timing belt cover. After looking around for info, it appears that 95 2.2 engines oil return 'hole' from the oil pump to the block I'm assuming, is too small and needs to be bored out to accommodate the flow of oil going back to the crank case.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Any tips on the procedure for repair, special tools to rent or buy???

While I have it apart should I replace the crank and cam seals as well? Any other preventative tips or repairs?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure what you are talking about. If you are talking about the camshaft, if it was clogged you would have much much bigger issues.

This car is overdue for a timing belt change. Since it is new to you and unknown do:

Water pump

cam seals

Main seal

Idler

Tensioner

Re-seal the oil pump

Timing Belt

Accessory drive belts

New T-stat (subaru part only)

Also replace the PCV valve as that takes pressure off the seals. Low mileage is just as much a killer for cars as high mileage. This should correct that. When you do this job TRIPLE CHECK the torque on the Vibration dampener when reinstalling it. If this is not tight, it will come back to haunt you months later.

Do all that and your good till the next timing belt change.

and welcome to the club.

nipper

PS Always make sure the tires match and you will have a very happy subaru.

This car is overdue for a timing belt change. Since it is new to you and unknown do:

Water pump

cam seals

Main seal

Idler

Tensioner

Re-seal the oil pump

Timing Belt

Accessory drive belts

New T-stat (subaru part only)

Good. I'll go ahead and focus on these along with the seeping driver's side valve cover gasket.

I know the water pump and t-belt were done at 60k.

Here is something about the oil pump issue I found online. (If it's an issue at all)

Engine Oil Leak On

1995 Subaru 1.8 & 2.2L Engines

The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information concerning an engine oil leak on 1995 Subaru 1.8 & 2.2L engines. Leaking oil has been reported between the engine oil pump housing and the cylinder block sealing surfaces.

The cause of this leak has been traced back to an inadequate size oil pump return hole. The return hole should be .235 (6 mm) in diameter. It is permissible to enlarge the hole size to the correct dimensions by using an appropriate size drill bit and drilling.

Applying grease to the end of the drill before drilling will minimize the chips created. Using the tool, carefully enlarge the hole to .235 (6mm). Then, clean out the hole for any extra shavings that may be left behind. Upon completion of

this procedure, carefully reinstall the oil pump.

The AERA Technical Committee

All in all I think it will be a good car after taking care of some issues. I also have to replace an cv axle and fix the massive play in the shifter.

Thanks.:)

Ok that is the first I have ever heard of that. Wait for others to chime in.

I can't even find it with google.

If you know the car has a new waterpump, but the seals have never been done, you wont need an WP, but will still need the other stuff. Idlers tend to not like being disturbed, of under the the heading "do it once and forget about it" I would replace the idler and tensioner.

Valve covers mean the spark plug buckets should be replaced to. Use subaur parts as the replacements. Aftermarket bucket seals suck and will fail in less then a year.

Another resource is www.endwrench.com (subaru).

nipper

Welcome to the USMB! You started with a great Subaru (yeah, yeah--I'm partial to '95 Legacy EJ22s!)

Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to replace. BTW, no spark plug buckets, just 3 grommet-like washers for the hold down bolts.

Since you have to go into the front end to solve the oil leak problem definitely replace the cam and crank seals with Subaru OEM parts. Replace the cam shaft o-rings too--front left (drivers side) and rear right (passengers side).

Take the oil pump off and check the backing plate screws, sometimes they will loosen. Loctite and tighten down. You can check the oil passage hole for size (but I've never heard of anyone having to drill it out larger!) New o-ring and re-seal the pump to the block.

If the timing belt has been oil soaked you might want to replace it while you're in there.

The play in the shifter means you need to replace bushings in the linkage, a pain-in-the-butt job but well worth the effort!

Use the search function here on USMB and you'll find tons of help on all these jobs.

Good luck--and take good care of that lovely little engine!