Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What year/model Impreza should I get?

Guest andywatson

I used to own a '97 Impreza, which I sold a few year ago. It was alot of fun to drive, and I loved the handling of it. Now I've been driving a '98 legacy outback wagon for the last few years. I just switched jobs, so now I have to drive over a 2500' mountain every day, and the wagon handles like an overweight fedex truck. It's got 69,000 miles, and the engine just isn't as peppy as it used to be. I also have a pickup truck, so I don't really need the extra space of the wagon anymore.

So I'd like to get rid of the wagon and get a newer model Impreza (4-door). What year (2000 or newer) has the best record so far? I see that some of the older ones had bad clutches. Is the WRX that much better than the RS? Here in West Virginia, Suby dealers are few and far between. All the ones I've checked with have 2003's and 2004's. No one has any used or off-lease Imprezas. Should I bite the bullet and buy a new one (I hate that initial depreciation though...) or should I hold out for a good used deal?

Thanks,

Andy

Guest mehwolfy

Yes bite the bullitt!! Coat it with ketchup if you have to, but go and get a WRX STI and then come pick me up and let me take it for a spin.

-M

Guest imprezaPASSIOn

Sti is good i like alot but if u dont want new i'd go with the WRX 2002 and then start lookin at salvage yards for a sti that someone wrecked and look to see if the engine is in good condition then u pull a SNATCH AND RUUUUUUNNNN :rollin: :evil: hehe but i'd go with the 2002 the new ones SUCK DAMN NEW HEADLIGHTS!!!

Guest Flowmastered87GL

actually I discussed this with the guy I bought my 98 impreza from.... wait like a year before going for STi parts... they will be way overpriced right now... just like WRX parts were back when the WRX came out.

I have personally always loved the 1996 Impreza Outback Sport... one of the few years with the elusive 4 wheel disk brakes. Sure it had 135 HP versus the 137 and 142 of later years... but it was an awesome car... never had trouble hitting 105 MPH for me.... I woulda gone faster, but I got passed by an F150 going 130 :eek:

Guest andywatson

I testdrove an 03 Impreza RS last night, and I just wansn't impressed. It didn't feel any more powerful or handle much better than my 98' Legacy OB wagon. But they had an 03 WRX sitting right next to it on the lot, so I took it for a spin. All I can say is "Damn Nice Car!". So my wife and I are trying to figure out how we can afford to get the WRX....