Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90' Loyale Rear Wheel Bearing

There's no press required for any form of rear wheel bearing on an EA series. Just some careful work with a punch or a custom made driver tool. I've done half a dozen of them..... they don't fail very often and I've seen them make 300k without issue. You might consider just finding a good used trailing arm and swapping it in.

The really useful tool is the ring nut socket. That's one I actually bought it's so useful. It removes the ring nut's without damaging them. If you use a punch to spin them out they are usually quite a mess afterwards.

GD

I find Subaru bearings go from noisy to floppy really fast. I lost a rear wheel bearing last Christmas, at 280,000 km. It started to make all sorts of bad noises while loaded (3 grown ups, baby, and luggage, but not really full) then quieted down when unloaded. It made another 900 mile trip back home from Vancouver, in snow and subzero temperatures, no symptoms. It finally failed completely a month later, after driving around town without any complaint at all, while on a trip to Prince George at -30 deg. C. Made it to Vanderhoof with the rear wheel trying to do the steering...

Used arm/hub $200, labour $200, ready 4 days later (and it takes 2 to get parts here). No complaints, except they left out the bellville washer, which was easily fixed.

But the moral is, fix it if it is making noise!