Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, my dad calls today and tells me his 98 Forester caught on fire while driving down the interstate yesterday. Apparently he saw a billow of smoke and then a guy told him to pull over. Some other vehicles pulled over and used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. It seemed to be under the car, back near the gas tank! So the car was transported back to our mechanic who is going to take a look at it. ANY IDEAS?!?! This is nuts! I will post when I hear more info. The mech. is supposed to check it out tonight.

FYI :The body did not sustain any damage & smoke did not go into the interior.

Info on the fire: Apparently the differential dried up & caught some rubber grommets on fire. They have to install a new diff. & grommets. They found a used diff from the junkyard. Hopefully all goes well. They never saw any fluid leaks or anything to signal this, but those things happen! Sucks. IMO...they should have let it burn & bought an Outback. :)

Originally posted by Rooskie

Info on the fire: Apparently the differential dried up & caught some rubber grommets on fire. They have to install a new diff. & grommets. They found a used diff from the junkyard. Hopefully all goes well. They never saw any fluid leaks or anything to signal this, but those things happen! Sucks. IMO...they should have let it burn & bought an Outback. :)

Was the Forester ever left in the "tender care" of a 15 min oil change shop? Some moron might have drained the diff to replace the oil, but forgot to FILL it again!

that your dad did not hear or smell anything first.

But then before my mom gave up driving she drove through town with a rear door open.

She gave up driving after nearly driving into a lake in Maine and getting the car stuck on a tree.

First time the cops ever called me on my mom.

My dad is very hard of hearing, & a little weak on the sniffer...but my mom is pretty sharp in both. He changes his own oil & has done for years, so no Jiffy Lube excuse. Some whacked out odd thing that just happened! He is pretty keen on noticing fluids dripping. Could a rock or something put a hole in it somehow?

Rooskie

Thanks for the post I'll check and keep an eye on my wifes 99 Forrester. btw I have been checking jy's for a right side head linght assembly($189 at Subaru). Any chance that you'd have a lead on the donner for your dads car. If you have the time check it out and reply or send me a PM. Would really appreciate it.

thanks!!

Darrell