Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable replacement blunders

My '81 GL Wagon clutch cable broke this week, but the GREAT NEWS is that

it broke in the driveway as I returned from work... so I ordered parts and

waited for the arrival, which was today..and the sun was shining so that's cool, right.. knock this puppy out over lunch..

so I read up on the replacement procedures in my "Compleat Idiot's Guide for Subarus"

here's how this simple procedure quickly became a huge PITA

While attempting to disconnect the "Clevis Pin" yoke connection at the clutch pedal, I realized the pin was installed with the head of the pivot pin sandwiched against the stamped bracket of the whole pedal assembly, which meant there wasn't room to back out the clevis pin enough to free the clutch cable. WTF!!

i thought, maybe I can swing the clutch enough to clear that bracket..

So after disconnecting a few plugs into the ECU and removing more dash hardware, I could *almost* swing the clutch pedal up and towards the drivers seat enough for the clevis pin to clear that freak'n stamped bracket that was blocking it's removal... but there still wasn't enough clearance for

easy removal

Much more shoving and prying with screwdrivers continued until it was forced past the bracket.. so 30 minutes later, I had finally removed the broken clutch cable...

upon comparison of the old cable to the shiny new one, it was obvious the new cable would not fit and was the wrong length.. what a kick in the pants that was!! :) back to part store; saturday delivery of new 'correct' part is scheduled... :rolleyes:

So, have I missed something obvious with the removal, or is this par for the course with Subaru clutch cables...

it could get worse, I'm not finished.. ;)

cheers,

gadberry

They are always inserted with the head toward the pedal assembly frame. That's why you don't remove the clevis pin till AFTER you remove the clutch pedal from the assembly. It's a single E clip and the whole pedal slides off the end of the pivot.... You should read my clutch cable replacement guide:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/clutch.html

And you WANT an OEM cable. They are like $18. To the dealer my friend.....

GD

oh that's gold!! :lol: the "idiot's guide" isn't simple enough for this idiot!! ha!

BUT that explains my WTF moment, and I did ponder the clutch pedal attachement for a moment, but thought "there's no freak'n way that has to come off for a cable replacement". :lol::lol::lol:

just what I get for rushing though a job, and topper for this blunder will be some electrical issue I have due to shoving the pedal up into the dash...

thanks very much for the clarification! I can't do anything but laugh at this point :lol:

peace,

We used to get a TON of questions on here about EA81 clutch cable replacement and a lot of very frustrated members - always getting the wrong cable from the parts guys and having a hell of a time installing them. Thus my install guide. It hasn't been a very popular subject in the last few years though. Probably a lot fewer EA81's left now. Used to be I could go to the yard and see half a dozen. Now it's a good day if I see a couple across several yards.

GD

GD,

It's a hard-copy document

http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Subaru-Alive/dp/0945465114

I've got a feeling when I get home tonight I'll find that it states "remove the

clutch pedal" in the book too.... ha!! :)

Your online guide to clutch cable replacement is great; thanks for that link!

best regards,

gadberry

OK, the clutch cable is installed, boy is it easy when you follow instructions

after GD's great step-by-step document was provided!

Thanks general disorder!

Btw- I did order from the dealer, but they sold an aftermarket israel-made

part that looked a bit sturdier than the Italian Luk brand I picked up

at autozone, which looked like the cable that failed.. Dealer part was 34 bucks

vs 16 at autozone

my cable failed at the clutch pedal bracket, the cable itself didn't break.

• 8 years later...

Bringing back this old thread from the dead.

The year is now 2018, and our EA81's are older than ever.

The Subaru Dealer's computer database now only goes back to 1986. Anything older and they have to bring out the paper-book-catalogue of part numbers.

Anyway, my clutch cable broke on my '82 GL Brat. Same problem as the O.P.... Broke right at the sleeve-bracket-washer that holds the cable-housing from moving, close to the pedal-end.
Looks to be made of pot-metal. I went to take the clutch cable off of the parts Brat, and it isn't far off from breaking also. Seems to be the achilles heel of the clutch cable assembly, the cable and housing all look to be fine, it is just that integrated metal bracket-washer that broke. 

Called the Renton dealership, and the dude working there said they threw out that old catalogue of part numbers! Why would they do such a thing?!
Called the Auburn dealership, they still have their's, but he gave me the part number 737026033... investigating this number shows that it is for a EA82 body.

Does anybody have the Subaru Part Number for an '82 GL Clutch Cable??

If I can't get a Subaru one, I may have to go Rock Auto or Autozone.
Thanks for reading. 

Thanks for the reply GD.
Gave Lithia Subaru a call and Matt answered, he said the part number for a '82 GL Brat Clutch Cable is 737026032.

Ordered through my local dealer, in 3-4 business days the Brat should be back in business.

• Like 1

In RHD land I recently found that the part number for 82, 83 clutch cable is one digit below that of the 84 onwards clutch cable

Usually a number increment is a supercession, but not in this case

If I find these numbers I will post them up for reference

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Overdue update.

The new cable has since been put on the Brat and it is working great. The new cable easily slid through its housing when pulled on, simulating operation. The old cables were stiff in comparison... however the almost broken cable was what got me to the Dealer and back. It was a nail-biter, not sure when the last clutch-throw would be, and trying to use the clutch as little as possible, but it made it fine and probably would have held out for a while longer. But the new cable is so much nicer and the peace of mind as well.

• 1 month later...