Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 xmember->EA81 car?

Can the EA82 trans crossmember be modified to fit the EA81 vehicle? Or is this something that would require more work that it's worth? Or, can the mounting tabs of an EA81 xmember be cut off and welded onto the EA82 xmember, with good success?

Yes, yes, I know... Jerry's kit. But what if I don't want to get his kit? What if I want to do the work myself? I can't find any threads that actually detail what gets done in this area, they always just reference Jerry's kit.

I did this on a lifted car, but it would prbably work without a lift.

The EA81 crossmember is about 1 inch narrower thant the EA82, so.........

I torch cut a the inner area around the bolt holes on the crossmember on 3 sides, to form a tab that I could bend up and drill new holes in. Then after bolted to my blocks, I welded in some support brackets.

the EA82 radius rods will bolt right into the EA81 rod mounts. You must use EA82 front axles.

Wait - I think you two are talking about different animals - he asked about the tranny mount but it sounds like Gloyale is talking about the engine cross-member....

You could fab your own cross-member for the tranny, but the EA82 version isn't going to mount into the EA81 radius rod plates very easily..... I suppose you could do the engine cross-member as Gloyale has done then use both :)

GD

Here's how I used the 5 speed mounts on the 4 speed - might give you some ideas. Basically just bolt the tranny up into place and fab something. It's not all that hard if you have some skillz. If you don't..... buy Jerry's kit. I got one from him for helping him with some electrical troubleshooting and put it in my Brat - works like a champ and no rubbing on the tunnel. His kit is well worth his measly asking price - it is better quality than what most folks have the ability to do on their own and his design which allows the tranny to be fitted without hitting the tunnel is pretty intricate - tight clearances. I won't divulge how his is made and neither will anyone else - he has asked that we not. If you want to see one you'll have to buy one or crawl under someone's rig that has one already.

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/4speed_mounts.html

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Ive never done one but this might help

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619108

That's an interesting solution but still required banging out the tunnel. His work sucks too. There's no reason to use the 5 speed 4WD shifter and wreck your interior like that. My Brat looks 100% stock and it required only that 1" of 1/2" rounds stock be added to the 4WD shift rod.

GD

• 2 months later...

I have the same question.

I've been looking at this and figuring out how I can mount up the EA82 tranny.

My EA81 tranny mounts are shot but the EA82 ones are still good.

I have the EA82 crossmember to work with as well.

So, after looking at the underside of the car for a while, I discovered that there

are bolts right behind the radius rod mounts.

Pic here, sorry about the crappy quality, I was laying under a car :rolleyes:

0125001042.jpg

So, would it be feasible to cut slots in the bracket and mount the EA82

crossmember on those 2 bolts?

Twitch

PS: I want to bash tranny tunnel as little as possible, if at all.

Ok, I know I'm being impatient, but time is of the essence.

I searched and found a thread talking about what I was looking for, but it has

no answer, so I'm asking again.

Is it possible to mount the EA82 X-member on the bolt shown in ^^^ pic.

And if cutting that bracket will destabilize my suspension.

And I forgot to mention on above pic that, that is the driver's side bracket.

Twitch