Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Today's safety tip of the day, today, OR: The Quality Workboot Thread

The Beast I Drive

Today's Safety Tip Of The Day today is wear steel toe boots when you put heavy S*** in a bench-top vice. Or clamp the vice tighter than you normally would.

I just dropped a welded centersection of a 3.9 rear diff on my big toe. It hurts like a Mother******. Might have fractured it, but I have no health coverage, so I dont wanna find out. I can still move it, Im fine. But be careful people, s*** happens.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive
New Title

:eek: sorry to hear about the toe, man! that sucks!

going to the doc for a broken toe is kind of pointless anyway (and a waste of money) - not much they can do for them (i know - broke one once & had it checked out - they did nothing but confirm it was broken!)

unless you break something further up the foot, save your pennies.

I only buy safety tipped shoes and boots now. I don't get a lot of selection but I like being able perambulate.... and no one talks about my unfashionable shoes - too busy checking out my super fashionable Carhartt Bibs I suppose :lol:

GD

:lol: too funny, GD - but in actuallity they are too busy checking out that new welder/torch setup you just got!! :slobber:

:eek: sorry to hear about the toe, man! that sucks!

going to the doc for a broken toe is kind of pointless anyway (and a waste of money) - not much they can do for them (i know - broke one once & had it checked out - they did nothing but confirm it was broken!)

unless you break something further up the foot, save your pennies.

mmm, guess you missed the House episode with the lady that had a broken toe. Yeah, marrow in the blood stream is bad..mmkay.

Bashed toes suck, sorry to hear that.

Rest, ice (15 on, 15 off), when off your feet, elevate your foot above your heart. But other than that, not much else you can do.

If you run a fever above 99.6 for two to three days, chances are you broke it (natural body defenses). Otherwise it's just banged up real good. If you get a collection of blood under your nail, you should drain it to prevent complications, like blood infections, not to mention the sheer pain of the pressure built up.. Dremmel or hand-drill with disinfected drill bit should do the trick. Smallest one, obviously.

If you get a collection of blood under your nail' date=' you should drain it to prevent complications, like blood infections, not to mention the sheer pain of the pressure built up.. Dremmel or hand-drill with disinfected drill bit should do the trick. Smallest one, obviously.[/quote']

I would try heating a needle up, until it is red hot and then use it to puncture through the nail.

I would try heating a needle up, until it is red hot and then use it to puncture through the nail.

Yeah, about that. I just use a knife and dig out under the nail. As it stands, the nail will be coming off soon, I am sure. If it doesnt fall off, Im pulling it off. I had something like this happen when I smashed my finger one time, when I lanced it, all kinds of nasty s*** came out, but then it kinda got real nasty under the nail, and I hade to remove a good chunk of it to clean it properly. Nasty stuff. Kinda gettin grossed out typing this. Thanks guys :rolleyes:

-Bill

You take a medical/drama TV show as serious, reliable medical fact/information?

you bet. he's the click and clack of the medical world :grin:

you can also put a really bright light behind the toe to see if you broke it. a big toe break will take a while to mend if you can't figure a good way to immobilize it (cast).

Thanks for the drool. It means that much more comming from a Lady :).

Wish my GF was interested in what's in the garage. :mad:

GD

your welcome GD. :)

I have been accused of having a 'male' soul since I am one of those females that is into tools, cars, etc. Not so many women are interested, i know (thier loss IMHO).

But, I can still knock the socks off when i want to get dressed up all pretty & lady like. :grin: I just dont do it that often! :lol:

back on topic - MY safety tip of the day...

Be sure of where you are stepping when you step off the back of a trailer!!

I stepped into a rut last week stepping down from our car-hauling trailer, foot rolled under & I heard 'crunching' when I went down. :eek: MAJOR pain...

The good news - I didnt break anything...(this after several hours and 6-7 xrays)

The bad news - I might as well have - will be 6-8 weeks healing up torn ligaments! :mad:

....Well 2months ago I touched the moving blade of my table saw with the top of my finger. It trimmed my finger nail and then some. I feel like Im the luckiest guy alive for being able to say so (having 5 fingers still) but its still not all together. The scab is gone.... like the removed part, but it is still so sensitive. It hurts to run my hand through my hair. Just be glad you kept it on your foot with out losing some.

All guards in place, me, off to the side, push stick on the wood....I still dont know...tablesaw bushings where getting old, was getting bad on the vibrations, I know it needed a tune.....

...don't rush, focus. Right now (you) is all that is important.

I feel like gaurds *cause* injury. My father grew up around 1940's and 1950's power tools - for a time his dad (master carpenter) had a circular saw with no guard (not just stuck - GONE). Then for a while the same saw had a stuck trigger so you had to carefully turn it in it's side and set it on the floor while it was running :eek:.

He worked 36 years at a lumber yard. Built countless homes, decks, garages, etc. Besides a splinter to the eye that he went to emergency for - zero injuries from power tool blades.

None for me either. I learned to respect those 1950's power tools that my dad still used and still uses. Guards? What guards?

I think they just make people complacent.

GD

If you get a collection of blood under your nail' date=' you should drain it to prevent complications, like blood infections, [b']not to mention the sheer pain of the pressure built up[/b]..

When I smashed my pinky, that was my trouble. Even through the numbing shot, the pressure was next to unbearable. It wasn't until the doctor cut around the nail (that I eventually lost) that the pain subsided.

P8140131.jpg

When I smashed my pinky, that was my trouble. Even through the numbing shot, the pressure was next to unbearable. It wasn't until the doctor cut around the nail (that I eventually lost) that the pain subsided.

I did that to the middle finger on my right hand about 5 or 6 months ago. The nail is just now returning to normal - takes a long time.

Mine got caught in a truck door. :rolleyes:

Boss made me go to the doctor for workman's comp CYA. Doc asked it I wanted the pressure relieved and I declined. Did it myself with a drill bit.

I don't much like doctors - I was a combat lifesaver in the Army so I rarely see one unless I need chems.

I go to the Doctor for a staph infection in my arm (needed a prescription for the anti-biotics - almost bought some online from Mexico instead :rolleyes:), and I get the third degree?! She's asking me if I'm a IV drug user? Says I have a lot of injuries on my hands and arms - what the hell?

Yeah..... so I don't really like Doctors.

GD

I really don't like doctors either. I dropped a server tower on my right Big toe, and a 8-Unit Rack Server on my left Big toe. (Yes, Both Big toes) Needless to say.. I was a klutz that day. Anyway, since i dont like doctors, I tried to clean them up as much as i could.. they got all kinds of infected.. and doc had to remove the nails for me. and clipped away infections. Not-so-much fun! Pictures attached :D

20091205171434-2.jpg

20091205171435-3.jpg

-Justin

Thanks for the pics guys :rolleyes: Pretty gross stuff.

Well, no infection, I removed the nail myself (mostly, about 1/4 of it was still FIRMLY attached, so I let it be) that was fun.

I then proceeded to drop a ripper shank from a 7- shank John Deere Ripper on the same toe just a week after the initial inceident. :mad: It hurt like no other, even worse than before, but all it did this time was bleed a little, no more damage done. It was only dropped from about 8" this time, instead of 3 feet :banana:

-Bill

I then proceeded to drop a ripper shank from a 7- shank John Deere Ripper on the same toe just a week after the initial inceident. :mad: It hurt like no other, even worse than before ... It was only dropped from about 8" this time, instead of 3 feet

Oh yea. You will bump/nudge/drop stuff on it much more often! LOL a week or so after --^ that happened to my toes.. i was cleaning out my storage, picked up a laptop, and the flippin' battery fell out! Guess where it landed. Pointed, and touched NO other toe. Not a flat side, not the bottom no.. a point and dead on the toe. Stuff like that is a magnet for stuff to fall on.

-Justin

I then proceeded to drop a ripper shank from a 7- shank John Deere Ripper on the same toe just a week after the initial inceident. :mad: It hurt like no other, even worse than before, but all it did this time was bleed a little, no more damage done. It was only dropped from about 8" this time, instead of 3 feet.

DUDE! - STEEL TOE boots.

What are you thinkin man? This time it's not even accident. You should know better.

I really like my Red Wings I got recently. Made in USA - hand stitched leather and all that business. $197 with my military discount and worth every penny. Comfortable, ANSI and CSA certified steel toes, puncture resistant sole plate..... lovin it.

GD