Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey guys, I am just wondering how long it will take for a new rotor to show signs of contact with the brake pads? I am asking this because I put new rear pads and rotors on my 99 legacy about a week ago, but the rotors only show wear on the inner most part of the rotor (closest to the center of rotor) Could it be that not all the pad is touching the rotor? This was my first brake job so I'm thinking i may have messed up with something. Also i used Advanced auto rotors and pads. This was a hell of first brake job seeing how I snapped one of the bolts holding the hold rotors on. Took 4 hours to drill it out and i rushed to get everything back together so now im worried! any ideas?

It should be an even wear pattern and should be evident within 20 miles or so of driving.

Uneven wear would indicate the pad is installed incorrectly or the slide pins are seized preventing the caliper from moving to balance braking force on both sides of the rotor the way it's supposed to.

Yes. The piston pushes on the inside pad. If the slide pins are seized or sticking they will act as a fulcrum or hinge and push the outer pad towards the hub. Causing only the inner edge of the pad to make contact with the rotor.

There's not a 100% guarantee that that's the problem, but it's pretty common on old calipers for the pins to "stick" due to rust or corrosion.