Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Celebrating the first 40 Years of my "other" Car ;)

• 2 months later...

Hey Jeszek, 

I haven’t read this thread before now. Awesome story with the car. Same head gasket?? :P 

Like ccrinc, it was sad to read you were about to embark on a real milestone drive with your father but then he unexpectedly passed away. 

While you may feel empty and sad that he’s not there, remember all the good times you shared together with him and as a family travelling around in the car. 

We have a kind of similar story in terms of age of ownership of a vehicle - it’s a 1929 Chevrolet six cylinder tourer. Dad built it with his brother in their late teens. It’s been registered ever since and would be on 50 years of continual registration since the late 60’s or the early 70’s. We’re currently looking for a head gasket solution for it... 

As for your fuse box issue, do you have a solution yet? Got any pics of the fuse panel with some dimensions? 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, el_freddo said:

... you were about to embark on a real milestone drive with your father but then he unexpectedly passed away....

That was completely unexpected, he was absolutely Healthy and Strong, he was driving some minutes before his heart decided to completely stop suddenly; he reached the Milestone of Fifty years of continous ownership of this Mercury, but we didn't the celebration voyage that we planned to go with all the Family... 

On 11/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, ccrinc said:

So sorry for your loss, Jes. As you know, I think of you and am concerned. Stay safe!

Thank so much to you both, for your kind words, which I really appreciate.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, el_freddo said:

...As for your fuse box issue, do you have a solution yet? Got any pics of the fuse panel with some dimensions? ...

I have stopped working on cars for a while... then I had to service the Automatic trans on the "KiaStein" while my Subie "BumbleBeast" keeps going on Strong without any issue, but my Mercury lies inert on the Garage... Looks like a Car that has been parked since new there, flawless but covered in Dust, the tires are loosing their air, they're at half pressure now, and despite of having a Compressor at home, I don't find the courage yet to touch it... 

I can't find the Courage to work on it, the new electric Fuel Pump and the eBay obtained exhaust gasket lies somewhere in the back seats, but someday I will take a Photo of the Rusted Fuse Box which really needs to be substituted, I want something modern in order to find fuse replacements easier... I'll share a Photo of it, here, as soon as I can.

Please be Careful during this CoronaVirus Pandemic...

Greetings and Blessings.

JesZeK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Having had a huge lack of free time nowadays, I've done nothing to my Mercury... yet,

but I already found a couple of New Old Stock electric fuel pumps, as the one on my Mercury has locked seized...

Also, I found the sales brochure with photos of the complete lineup models for this Mercury 1969 online, includes photos of its Prototypes, which I've never seen before:

~► https://classiccarcatalogue.com/MERCURY_1969.html

Kind Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Since my Father loss, also his pick up truck and the house got somehow, sudden several damages at the same time...

I had to work hard repairing both; different things such like changing some wooden parts that sustains the roof and the Aluzinc sheets of half the house, including several other repairs on it, such a brand new water tank (the new one is Plastic, while the previous one was built with the same bricks and concrete of the walls that cracked) and changing electrical wiring.

Sadly I had to remove the Amateur Radio Antennas, my Father got a license to bradcast worldwide since 1977 and now I had to remove the antennas from the Roof because the antenna's base was installed on the cracked walls of said watertank at the roof top ... this is very sad.

Also I fixed his Pick Up Truck, from small dents, issues on the Brakes, removing windshield to replace the rubber and placing it back, etc ... it has fresh paint and now only needs an alternator.

But that is offtopic here.

Coming back on topic, finally I got my Hands on the Mercury, this mere weekend. 

I removed the exhaust manifold to change the old worn gasket with a brand new one, "Fel-Pro" fully metallic that I found easily on eBay;

I'm surprised how easy is to find good replacement parts for these MuscleCars from the '60's decade, at a very good price.

I wish it would e that easy for our vintage Subarus...

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

... I removed the exhaust manifold to change the old worn gasket with a brand new one, "Fel-Pro" fully metallic that I found easily on eBay;

I'm surprised how easy is to find good replacement parts for these MuscleCars from the '60's decade, at a very good price.

I wish it would e that easy for our vintage Subarus...

q0jZFqA.jpeg 

s1peLDK.jpg

yUf0GrA.jpeg

The Coupé didn't started as easy as it used to, and I traced the cause to a Lack of enough fuel getting to the carburetor, so, I inspected the fuel lines and they were dirty, fuel filter dirty, and thus means dirt from rust on the fuel tank... so I removed it from the Coupé:

So, I started to search and research about the cause of this abnormal Rust and were to find a suitable replacement.

The excessive rust has been caused by non-pure Gasoline; as you know, this MuscleCars from the 1960's era, were designed to run on plain jane Gasoline with lead; so a galvanized treatment were enough as anti rust protection for the fuel tank; however, as times and decades passed by, the gasoline that we could buy on the stations, has other chemicals added, such as certain types of alcohol, that degrades the regular galvanizing treatment.

That explains why the Tank survived pretty good its first four and a half decades, until the chemically "Different" gasolines were widely and solely available.

So, I found a company that makes replica fuel tanks in USA for almost any car, and this Coupe was on their list; the two advantages of the Replica over the Original one, are, the new treatment used for rust proofing the metal, which is some sort of stailess steel instead the old galvanizing process, which provides better resistance to these chemically modified fuels of nowadays; and the Replica Tank has a drain plug, which the original one didn't has.

Meanwhile those new parts were coming to Honduras, with the help of a mechanic friend, we Cleansed completely the Fuel line, and changed the part of it that were on the engine bay, using new, flexible fuel line, everything is 5/16"

Look how the Fuel Filler Funnel, came out from the Coupé:

bAmYjfz.jpeg

QjhfLwH.jpeg

We also completely Cleansed it:

yY5Iu45.jpeg

My Father and I changed the Steering Wheel on the early nineties, as the Horn on the original Steering Wheel was some kind of metallic Bow which sadly got broken in two and was made from some sort of manganesum alloy which wasn't repairable; also, the Leather on its middle part got rotten and was crumbling away, that steering wheel was the weakest part from all the Coupe for sure...

...this Steering Wheel from a Cadillac, was purchased brand new by my Father in 1989 at the dealer in San Pedro Sula city and fitted to the Mercury's splines on the bar, as perfect as a factory replacement.

The brand new replica fuel tank came on a merchant vessel, as shipping costs are one third from the airway cargo, so it delayed some months to came, but when we went to pick it up at the cargo and courier companie's office, and once it was inside my Wife's car, the compact sedan "KiaStein", I realized how Huge my Mercury coupé is.

My friend mechanic gave as gift, this small red Hose wich is exactly same wide and long size than the one that the Mercury has, to couple the Fuel Filler Funnel with the Gas Tank's inlet pipe, as the original one was almost rock hard, after more than five decades of being there.

x18wWu3.jpeg