Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I haven't touched a Forester, much less worked on one. That being said, if the rear seat lifts up, I'd imagine there's an access panel for the fuel pump under there. You'll probably have to lift that noise deadening material to see it. Four screws to remove a panel. There should be a plug for the fuel pump there. Took me all of a minute or two to get at it when I swapped my clutch last time.

The Forester could be different than my OBW, and I've lost money on better bets :-\, but I'd be surprised if you can't access the fuel pump that way.

Edit: I'm an idiot. It's not under the seat on my '97 OBW, it's under the cargo area "floor", directly behind the rear seat. Pop up the retaining tabs, lift the floor, and the panel's right under there.

Edited by the_bard
Doh. Don't want to spread misinformation.

As you work the fuel line loose from the rail, cover it with a rag. :rolleyes:

This is all I've EVER done. These rails run at like 35 psi and have very little volume. You'll get at most a few seconds of fuel from the hose. It's not worth going to the trouble of pulling fuses, etc. Not IMO anyway.

Junk yards never depresurize the fuel rail - that's how little of a concern this is. I've cut hoses at the yard with a razor knife and had them spurt a bit. Not a big deal just keep open flames an ignition sources away from it.

GD

I've done this on an OBW and I thought this was pretty straight forward. I always heard you need to do three things:

1. Remove fuel pump fuse
  2. Crank engine over (will not start)
  3. Temporarily remove gas filler cap (fuel line return will vent back to fuel tank and this will alleviate any pressure)

Still put a rag under the fuel filter when you loosen it. Use new clamps. So much easier than any other car i have.

As you work the fuel line loose from the rail, cover it with a rag. :rolleyes:

This is all I've EVER done.

+1 (ooh, ooh, me too, me too!)

Anything else is purely overkill and if you're that worried about a few drops of fuel in the engine bay you shouldn't be working on cars!:lol::lol:

Seriously, just cover it with a towel/rags, it's really simple.

If you followed all the directions in the FSM/manuals you'd waste hours of your life on unnecessary procedures.

It still requires an ignition source and unless you are a total moron you aren't going to be lighting a cigar while disconnecting fuel lines.

And even if you drain the pressure off - you will still get fuel from the line when you disconnect it - as well as the filter being full of the stuff.

No way, no how, are you going to avoid spilling at least a little bit of fuel while doing this. Thus you can talk flashpoint all day long but you don't see competant mechanic's blowing people's car's up on a regular basis because they didn't depressurize the fuel system - and I'm here to tell you that most don't. It's a waste of time.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder