Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are used AC compressors any good?

yorab

So my compressor is toast (see another thread). I have an '86 GL with Hitachi compressor. My local parts yard has used compressors for sale with a 60 day money-back guarantee. The price is great compared to reman. Are used compressors any good?

i've replaced numerous a/c compressors, used every single time. 100% sucess rate so far, it's well worth it considering how easy they are to replace and how rarely they fail. i'd rather replace them twice than spend for a new one. i recharge all my own stuff too, it's very simple.

yeh , if the system still has pressure its probably OK . The Jap compressors usually hold up really well .

If the internals of the old compressor exploded , you better flush the system or you'll suck the metal shavings in the replacement compressor and it wont do it any good . You are supposed to change the dryer too ... but I've reused the old ones sometimes with no problem if money is tight . Definately change it if the compressor grenaded .

c-bob