Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BOSS Gen 1 BRAT/4wd lift kit Christmas Deal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

just throwing this in the thread so someone doesnt make the same mistake I did, I have a 78 brat and the monroe shocks that were in this thread will not work on it because the lower portion is different. I am on my third set of shocks trying to find something to work. Once I actually find some the lift is complete.

just throwing this in the thread so someone doesnt make the same mistake I did, I have a 78 brat and the monroe shocks that were in this thread will not work on it because the lower portion is different. I am on my third set of shocks trying to find something to work. Once I actually find some the lift is complete.

With the monroe shocks u have to cut out all the rubber. And it will work. Tell me if u need pics.

cut out the rubber in the bottom attachment? the part with the wings? I seen the pics of the upper mount you made but not the bottom if you did anything there

Yes, get the bar and all the rubber out. It will mount on stock bottom shock location with the rubber and nuts from the old shock. The load levelers work great for towing as it doesn't let the rear end come down to far.

okay I will try that, unfortunately I damaged a pair of $80 shocks trying to make them fit, and they didn't and now I can't return them.

I think u will like the load leveler shock.

One note however is that u will have to create a new top bracket like I did as the shock wont reach the stock location up top. I have a drawing to give to a fab shop if u need it.

Also what I did to get the shock in the correct position ( travel length wise) it to let suspension hang (top of shock disconnected ), then jack up suspension about 1/4" or so and install the top mount for the shock. This should be( if all my math was correct) the correct position for the travel length of the Monroe shock I used. And the shock will bottom out before the torsion bar on either side is over stressed.

Tell me if u want some more pics or need dimensions or anything.

Oh and post some pics of your rig... want to see it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a note regarding the steering universal for the 4 inch lift- I had previously stated that the Impreza universal worked. Well, it does, until you install the rubber damper (the 4 hole rubber disc between the steering rack input and the bottom of the shaft), then it binds up. Have to find another fix, or just not use the damper. Anyone know what fits?

Edited by talldude
reword

• 4 weeks later...

hey i just joined usmb but ive followed the site for a while for all my subies and my buddys but i was wondering if anyone had the measurments for the 4 inch lift for the all the blocks and everthing you need so i can fab it up and also i was wondering if anybody had some good looking wheels and tires for sale for the 4 lug?. thanks:banana:

I finally broke out the calipers and tape measure to figure out once and for all what rear shock to use with the 4 inch body lift. I plan to lug some heavy stuff from time to time and am looking for a coilover to help the torsion bars a bit. So far the best option I have found is Monroe sensa-trac load adjusting shocks, the kind with the spring on the outside (like a coilover) that is designed for light trucks. Model 58568 measures 12.375" compressed to 19.875" extended (7.5" travel) with variable rate springs. Top and bottom mounts are compatible with the BRAT, according to the chart. I'll be ordering a pair tonight and will report back.

On a different note, has anyone found manufactured brake hoses that will bolt in to the 4" lift? I may just have mine made locally if not.

• 1 month later...

The shocks fit- direct bolt on. The rubber bumpers and brackets must be cut off due to the angle of the shock and the trailing arms relieved a bit where the base of the shock sits. No idea how it will ride; should have this thing on the road in about 2 months or so.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Well that's just a shame, any idea who is making a decent 4" brat Gen 1 lift kit these days turbo?

Just a few guys are i know sjr does in Bellingham Washington, so does Goyale in Corvallis Oregon, i think sube101 does too in Saint Helens Oregon, Prwa101 in Sandy Oregon is planning on making some soon too.

Edited by turbosubarubrat