Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gt grant, need adaptor

88 ea82 3 door. i got a sweet gt grant steering wheel and need to get it on the subie. Ive read some postings asking the same thing but havent gotten a sraight answer. So can some one give me a website and/or a part number?

Got the wheel off a 91 vw gti and have the adaptor for the gti, maybe it will work on the sube? the adaptor is a victor just to through that out there.

I just looked at Grant's website and they show nothing for the GLs. However, I was looking at putting a custom wheel in one of my old EA-81's several years ago. Couldn't find a part number in the catalog then, either. But with about an hour sitting in the aisle at Autozone with a spare Subaru steering wheel, I was able to find a part for something else that worked. I think it was for a Nissan truck, but I'm not sure. I never did it because I just wasn't going to drop that kind of coin on a steering wheel.

No one makes and adapter specifically for the older Subarus anymore. MOMO used to make them, but they dont anymore. However, its not hard to make one.

All you need is a torch, a drill press, and a tap and die set, and a welder.

Cut the center of a GL steering wheel out of the wheel. Then, using 1/2" plate, make a ring that will be welded onto the cut out steering wheel center. Make sure the ring is big enough in diameter to drill the Grant GT steering wheel bolt pattern into it, and make sure the center hole is big enough to fit a socket over the nut that holds the wheel on. Using the GT wheel as a template, mark the holes in the ring, drill them out, and tap them for the proper hardware. Then weld the ring onto the cutout from the old steering wheel, try hard to get it centered. Voila! Now you can mount your new wheel!

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find one, the part number for the Momo adapter is 7303. I got lucky and found one a few months ago at Crowder's Customizing. I think it was the last one, though. SAAS (an Australian company) makes an adapter too for the EA82. An Aussie eBay seller (AccessoriesOnline) sells them; I believe they quoted me around $85 shipped from Australia.

Hope this helps.

Ian