Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hill holder

akc

I noticed the other day that my hill holder is disconnected on my subie. I was wondering if it is worth fixing as I do not think any of the subies I have owned have had a working one (all 2 of them). Or is it more of a bother and no one uses them anyway.

Thanks GD I might try hooking it up to see if it works then. The cable appears ok. Who knows I might like it. I have a friend that loves theirs.
Most often, as GD says, they don't fail but are mis-adjusted so they appear not to work. Too loose and they don't hold; too tight and you don't disengage the brake as you let out the clutch.

Here's a tip on adjusting it: Tighten the cable until you can just squeeze a dime between two turns of the coil spring. Use the dime like you would a feeler guage. You might have to tweak it just a hair from that, but generally that works just perfectly for me.

2nd tip: Make sure your clutch cable is properly adjusted FIRST. Also make sure you test it on a hill not on a level street.

I've had mine some-what freeze up on me in the cold on flat ground. forcing me to rev the engine up nice and high while slipping the clutch to break it loose....not my favorite thing to do.
If that's the case, adjustment is too tight. Loosen it up a tad.