Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt busted, '99 Outback

if you remove the crank pulley bolt before you pull the engine you can check the timing. the crank keyway should be down, at 6 oclock position, when the cam sprockets on on the timing marks.

pull the rad cooling fans to give you access, or the rad. both have to come out to pull the engine, as you know. but if the belt is off there is no need to pull it.

Well I can't get the crank pulley bolt out unless there is sopme trick to hold the flywheel like with the ER27 engines. I did check the timing marks on the cams, they are dead nuts on.

However, the flywheel doesn't have timing marks like the ER27's nor does the Crank Pulley. So I removed the crankshaft sensor to see where the crank tick was. (make sure it was in the right spot). Well this is what I found. I think the issue is my sensor (dooh). One of the little ball bearings from the pulley musta got up in there and nailed it. Dang how in the heck did I miss that???? ARGHHHH!!!

I also noticed the wiring to this sensor is a little brittle. Need to fix that too.

IMGP0811-1.jpg

I guess it is a trip to the junk yard for me. :mad: Looks like Thepartsbin has them for $16...

Edited by mr.radon