Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel smell

I noticed a fuel smell after filling up my Brat last week. It lingered around the car, regardless of where it was parked until it dropped to about 1/2 tank (from driving, not any leak). There is no fuel dripping anywhere. I see no drip marks on the tank, nor do I see any sign of gasoline hitting the ground, so it looks like it's vapor escaping from somewhere. Any thoughts?

Could be the tank vent line as well - do you have the charcoal canister hooked up?

One of the artifacts of installing a Weber is that you will occasionally get a whiff of gasoline - the float bowl vent on DGV's is just a hole in the top of the carb so without modification to the carb you always have fresh fuel present under the hood. Also most people disconnect the canister and leave the fuel tank vent line (the one next to the fuel supply line on the firewall) open to the atmosphere.

GD

"until it dropped to about 1/2 tank "

Ah, a clue, but I don't know what tank you have. This is a possibility.

One Justy I had did the same thing, and it starts at the parting seam, with no leaks. Eventually you'll see signs down the sides of the tank.

I pulled my "good" tank to get it prepped. After I cleaned the corrosion off that seam, I had pinholes.

Rustbelt stuff.

Doug

The top half of your tank has probally developed a few pinholes. I've replaced the tanks under 2 BRATs because of the same thing you're going thru.

A temporary fix, until you can source a replacement tank, is to use some Seals All.

Drop your tank, (fun job), clean the area of leakage, coat it with the Seals All, re-install tank.

Seals All will stop a flowing leak in a gas tank up to an 1/8" diameter hole. One can use something for a plug for larger holes. Good stuff to have on hand when you're off-roading. I have had the need of using it, many times.

Should be able to find it anywhere they sell stuff like RTV, and simular products. My local parts store has it, WalMart carries it in the automotive department.