Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87' Gl Wagon Blows the doors off an RX8

I just had to share this. Last weekend i was coming home from the market and i left the parking lot rather quickly because i was trying to make the light at the intersection. When i first got in the car there were two guys a couple spaces away from me who's attention i attracted when i started the engine. I have an EA82 with 2 barrol Weber, custom dual exhaust with cherry bombs for mufflers, so it's a little on the loud side. When i started the engine they both looked over at me, then at each other and started laughing heartily, which was another reason i left the lot at an accelerated pace.

Well, they pulled out and joined me at the light, i was in the left lane, they in the right, still laughing, gawking and now revving their engine in the form of a challenge. On the other side of the intersection about 200 feet beyond, the right lane merges with the left. I goosed the engine a couple times to accept the challenge, then dropped it into 1st gear, in 4 low, and revved her to 4k. When that light changed, i went through gears like a homeless man through fried chicken and by the time the right lane ended they were a good 4 car lengths behind me. They just turned off in shame, i have not laughed that hard in a long time.

My apologies, it was an RX-8

Edited by phantomcrooner
Wrong title

I drive it in low, sometimes I don't if the pavement is stickey. Or if i'm turning around or something.

Here, dhip and seal surface is no problem. Blacktop, concrete, that kind of stuff, I put the passenger tires off on the berm in the loose stuff...or whatever, whenever it needs it.

I completely toasted a brand new beamer in my '89 wagon ..... a few inches of slush on the road, and he was squirming all over if he touched the gas. RWD and wide tires. I floored it in 2nd low and just took off with the studded snows -- no squirming or anything.

One day of the year.... the other 364, it's an old station wagon no one notices :lol::banana:

My '89 Sedan...I came to a stop light on a four lane before getting into Columbus. I'm in the left lane and a Viper is in the other.

I lanch hard and "go through gears like a homeless man through chicken":) I'm in 4th low, I look in the mirror and he launchs.

I go to 5th, then 4th High and 5th. Shortly after this, he passes me:burnout:

I completely toasted a brand new beamer in my '89 wagon ..... a few inches of slush on the road, and he was squirming all over if he touched the gas. RWD and wide tires. I floored it in 2nd low and just took off with the studded snows -- no squirming or anything.

One day of the year.... the other 364, it's an old station wagon no one notices :lol::banana:

Subarus early forms of traction control.... 4x4 and 84 hp ensures no tire slippage, even in those low traction situations. Good thread!

Subarus early forms of traction control.... 4x4 and 84 hp ensures no tire slippage, even in those low traction situations. Good thread!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Actually, mine is the SPFI wagon, so it's a full 92HP :eek:

Oh, but at 5,400 feet elevation, and 240,000 miles, it's probably back down to 70 to 80...

" so it's a full 92HP :eek:" And mine weighed less than 2600 lbs, with me in it. I shifted that one at 7000 rpm, and it was a healthy motor too.

Edit:But what if I had 4:44's in there and more power?

Edit:"I'd be going through gears like two homeless men through fried chicken".

This is it:picture.php?albumid=155&pictureid=1532

Edited by Quidam
Add Picture.