Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping my 83 gl wagon

Mt.HOODrat

so i want to swap my 83 gl wagon. im sick of the tired old carbed p.o.s. motor. i wanna do a ej22. would like a turbo version, but im not against a N/A version. i could use my orginal 4 speed with a sjr adapter plate right? any suggestions on which ej's to use for my project? pros cons vs. turbo n/a swaps? i did a search, but wanted to be more specific... thanks

The search bar is your friend.

You would want a Gen 1 legacy motor and it would also be a good idea to upgrade your tranny to the dual range 5 speed. It is more reliable and can take the extra stress from having 50 or so extra horsepower.

Stick with the non-turbo, as it is easier to work with. And don't forget about the wiring harness that you have to modify

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the tranny goes we were just discussing what tranny is best with a EJ22 swap, if you do this make sure you replace the seals, belts and a water pump & thermostat while the engine is out.

CLICK

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107040

I ended up going with a 5speed pushbutton for my N/A EJ22 swap, the transmission itself looks to be stronger then the dual range (due to the 1 piece input shaft) and the "no look" engagement closed the deal for me.

The point for the dual range 5spd was if you are going to be running large tires.

Keep in mind that with that EJ22 your car is going to have about a 16.7 power to weight ratio (which is better then the new non-si civics, camry and even a C230 Merc Kompressor) so chances are you are not going to need the low range unless you doing something that is going to require big azz tires anyway.

Edited by SuperchargedRS