Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power to 82 fuel pump

Greetings to all,

Ive been reading the threads and this is what I understand; power going into the the Fuel Pump Control Unit is routed out of the unit, to the fuel pump, when the ignition is turned to "Start". Once the car starts the fuel pump needs a signal from the coil telling the FPCU that the car is running. I have power going into the FPCU. When I turn the ignition to "Start" I have power coming out of the FPCU. My problem is that I don't have power at my pump. Not even while cranking the engine. If I have power coming out of my FPCU while cranking, shouldn't I have it at the fuel pump? What route does the wire take? On my FPCU, the terminal that lights up while cranking has two wires coming off of it which are the same color code. From what I understand one goes directly to the pump. Where does the other go? Also, if I fill the fuel bowl and start the car, i still don't have power at the pump. When I jump the pump directly to the battery, the pump works.

Edited by All4EA81

This is the same prob I got right now. Funny. So I blind checked by pulling the fuel line off the filter under the hood and watched it while I cranked it over. It shot fuel to my surprise. Still wont start.:lol: red 1982 wagon. So I played with the distributor a bit, and found a HUGE wobble......But back to you.....And Welcome!

Hey Hey! I found the problem! I traced the wires from the fuel pump and found a bad connection going into the dash by the passengers feet. I just had the dash out changing the heater core and I didn't do a good job with all the connections:rolleyes:. Now I have heat and gas! Sorry to waste all you good peoples time and I'm very appreciative for all the responses. Its easy to overlook the simple things. I had my control unit out with the cover off, inspecting the internals, and smelling the darn thing! Thanks:grin: