Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help to permanently disable alarm in 2002 Subara Outback

don't lock it until you get a FOB

cars101.com has programming instructions which is relatively easy to do at home with your 2002

buy a used FOB/remote and program it and you're done. 

OP, if you figure it out, let me know, and tell me where you got the FOB from.  I got one and can't program it, one of the first steps is turning the ignition on and off ten times and the horn is supposed to honk but mine doesn't.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#alpine

I wasn't the one that locked it a friend was. I went to the junkyard and asked them if they had used key fobs for sale. The guy handed me a big bucket of them and I dug around until I found a Subaru one like these cars have. I actually bought two for like $10. So the first piece of advice worked for getting the alarm to stop. Turn the key off and on off like 4 or 6 times until the alarm stopped.

In programming the fob I needed to get in the car close the door hit the unlock button on the door. Then open and close the door one more time after the unlocking button. Following that I needed to quickly turn the key off and on 10 times and leave in the on position at the 10th time. After waiting a second or two the horn honked. Then I hit small button on the fob, open the door close the door and then hit the big button on the fob. Following this when I pull the key out the horn honk three times. Then open the door and shut the door again. That was it she worked.

Edited by iriejedi

one of the first steps is turning the ignition on and off ten times and the horn is supposed to honk but mine doesn't.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#alpine

are you doing the 3 steps before the ignition?   unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed then cycling? 

Unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time. 

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it. 

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

When you're done, remove the key and  the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set. 

Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.

I did it just add described, worked great. Idosubaru, reading your list it doesn't talk about opening and closing the driver's door enough times from what I read. For me what was done in my list worked. Thanks everyone!

yeah i just copied and pasted it from the site - i was mainly asking because he calls the ignition "one of the first steps" - but when it looks like it's actually one of the last steps..so i wasn't sure if that's just internet/keyboard misunderstanding or he actually didn't do them. 

are you doing the 3 steps before the ignition?   unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed then cycling? 

Unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time. 

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it. 

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

When you're done, remove the key and  the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set. 

Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.

I just tried this again, yes, unlocking all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed, (sometimes opening and closing door at this point), turning key from off to on (also tried from acc to on) ten times (also tried more than ten times).  If I leave it on and wait, horn never honks.  And I did check to make sure the horn is working.

Then I was wondering if the alarm was even still working, haven't tried using the power locks in a year.  Used the switch on the door to unlock and then lock all doors, closed the door, security light started blinking, when I unlocked and opened the door the alarm went off until I turned the ignition on/off three times.  Which brings me back to seconding the original post, how can I just remove this alarm?  Even if I got it working, would using the power lock button on the door cause the alarm to go off if I just unlock the door with the key?  That's incredibly annoying.  I have four street cars and it's nice to just have keys for all of them on my keyring rather than carrying a bunch of fobs around.

• 1 year later...

In case anyone else out there has this question, my friends did get one of my key fobs to work with the car.

More importantly, one of my other friends found the security black box on the right side of the radio when we were doing some other wiring.  We unplugged the security box thing and I can now use the power lock switches on the inside of the doors and the alarm never goes off.

Edited by pontoontodd

u need to remove the security module mounted ither tot he right of the radio or under the drivers kick panel left side of the radio console mounted to the pillar in the center. i have seen it here on some models. u will also have to remove the 2 relays mounted above and tot he left of the interior fuse box and install a jumper wire in one of the 2 relay sockets to bypass the starter lockout. i believe this is all u need to do. im not sure witch 2 wires need to be jumped though i can look tomorrow but wont be until late afternoon after work and im sure someone will chime in by then. if not ill get a picture of the factory jumper in mine. i cannot remeber for sure but the security module might have been behind the glove box on the left side in one ive seen as well but had to remove glove box to get to it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

1 hour ago, sirtokesalot said:

u need to remove the security module mounted ither tot he right of the radio or under the drivers kick panel left side of the radio console mounted to the pillar in the center. i have seen it here on some models. u will also have to remove the 2 relays mounted above and tot he left of the interior fuse box and install a jumper wire in one of the 2 relay sockets to bypass the starter lockout. i believe this is all u need to do. im not sure witch 2 wires need to be jumped though i can look tomorrow but wont be until late afternoon after work and im sure someone will chime in by then. if not ill get a picture of the factory jumper in mine. i cannot remeber for sure but the security module might have been behind the glove box on the left side in one ive seen as well but had to remove glove box to get to it.

In my 2002 LL Bean Outback we just unplugged that security module next to the radio.  Starts and runs fine, power locks work, alarm never goes off.  Maybe with other alarms some jumper wiring is required but not with this one.

Guys, sorry to be catching up with this thread a little late - I could have saved you a lot of chatter.

The fact is that there's a lot of bullsh!t out there regarding the Alpine system.  As far as I know, I'm the greatest authority on the subject at present because last year I got p!ssed off enough at it to build a bench jig for sorting them out - all y'all should have referenced the thread:

Here's the short version:  These FOBs are easy to find at the wrecker - I've got a bucket of 'em, happy to send you one if necessary.  It's a two-module system - the keyless entry module and the alarm module, the locations of which may vary.  You can unplug the alarm module (which will turn off the stupid little blinky) without jumpering or changing anything else.  If it won't program, it's probably because the contacts in your ignition keyswitch are worn and noisy.  And being in valet mode does not inhibit the programming of new fobs.

Questions?

Edited by jonathan909

I can't remember what type of transmitter I was programming (could have been a garage door opener, radio/phone pairing or remote starter for all I remember) but is it possible that the key fobs only store a certain limited number of codes, after which you need to clear the stored codes before programming a new code?

You have it backwards.  You don't "store" codes in the fobs.  The fobs are factory programmed (my guess would be that the chips are laser-trimmed at the wafer level before scribing, dicing, and packaging, but there are other ways to do it) and cannot be changed.  It's the keyless entry unit - the receiver in the car - that's programmed for your chosen fob(s).  The manual explains the process, and that the KEU can be programmed for up to four (4) fobs.  There is no erase process; the way it works is that you overwrite the existing stored codes by programming new ones in over them.

I'm not aware of any third-party fobs (transmitters) being supported by the system, but I haven't gone looking for any either.  I would doubt it.

Edited by jonathan909