Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It finally goes

kiwishooter

Well after a lot of putting this on the back burner I have finally managed to get the Brumby running......fired it up on Thursday last week with no exhaust.......sounded great :grin::grin:

The only problem i had with the wiring was connecting the starter solenoid wire to the power wire for the ECU........:eek:.....found that everytime I turned the key on it started cranking.....swapped the wires around at the joiner and everthing went like clockwork.

The Brumby is running a EJ22 with Legacy 5spd Hi/Lo ratio gearbox with the RX locking centre diff and RX crownwheel and pinion. Custom lengthened driveshaft and original front 1/2 shafts with the inner DOJ consisting of the original inner race, cage and balls with a Legacy outer housing. This enabled the original 1/2 shafts to be fitted to the large stubs in the front diff.

Brumby56.jpg

Brumby55.jpg

I used a EA82 gearbox cross member and modified it to fit the Brumby, it uses the original EA82 gearbox mounts. Since the EA82 cross member steps down on one side where it mounts to the floor I put in a spacer. All it took to modify was a angle grinder, some gas for heating and a big hammer.

xmember4.jpg

xmember1.jpg

xmember5.jpg

xmember6.jpg

Xmemfitted.jpg

For the shifter I used a EA82 and shortened it up a bit then cut and welded a WRX short shift gear lever onto the EA82 assembly......works great with a nice short shift.

Shifter2.jpg

Shifterassy.jpg

For the Hi/Lo lever I used a Legacy cable shifter, just took a bit of angle iron to adapt this into place.

HiLo2a.jpg

I mounted a set of Legacy Hi/Lo solenoids onto the firewall and the wiring harness for the ECU (which is mounted in behind the heater) passes through a hole I made in the firewall, while the fuel pump and power relay wiring pass through the original rubber grommet on the passenger side.

Wiringsol.jpg

I used a Toyota fuel pump (I've had it sitting around for about 10 years and finally found a use for it) and mounted the pump where the original was mounted and then mounted a Legacy fuel filter bracket to the back of the cab panel. I pulled a fuel line from another Brumby and routed it beside the original fuel lines to act as a return. The vent pipe is also connected. For a return in the tank I removed the tank and soldered a new return fitting in.

Fpump.jpg

I heated and reshaped the swaybar so it would go around behind the gearbox, then had it re heat treated. The exhaust just fits between the swaybar and the floor, but when you accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd, the exhaust comes down far enough to vibrate on the swaybar, so I need to space the swaybar down about 5mm or so.

Exh3.jpg

For the exhaust I used the front pipes off a legacy joined into a collecter and the rest is 2 1/4" pipe to the muffler at the rear.

Exh1.jpg

Exh2.jpg

For the intake I used a late Subaru 6 cyl plenum box (should've fitted the 6cyl.....it would've fitted according to my ruler), this is flipped upside down to get the intake pipe on the right side. the breather, IAC and crank vent nipples were cut from a Legacy intake pipe and plastic welded to the plenum box. The air cleaner box is from a '92 Nissan Maxima with the Subaru airflow meter fitted to it. The intake pipe was custom made from exh tube.

Eng1.jpg

Eng2.jpg

Eng3.jpg

For wiring I got the whole harness from the '94 Legacy the motor came out of, I then opend up the harness and removed all the wiring that wasn't required ( i used the Subaru wiring diagram to sort this out). I kept all the Legacy diagnostic plugs, and all the wiring I wanted to keep I cut at the plug or joiner that would give me the longest length of wire.

For the alternator I cut open the Brumby wiring harness and shortened the wiring so that now the alternator wiring comes in from the battery side.

The igniter is mounted on the L/H inner guard near the airflow meter. I replaced the Brumby fuseable links with a Nissan Maxima main power fuse box, which gave me a couple of new main fuses, one I used for the ECU the other I used for the cooling fan.

I used some multi pin plug and sockets (seen above the brake booster) for joining the Legacy wiring into the Brumby wiring, all guages work (except for the oil pressure, as I need an original oil pressure sender unit, my old 1800 didn't have one on it) the warning lights for Hi/Lo work and I have to wire a light in for the centre diff lock. For some of the power wires for the ECU I used the Brumby coil + wire and cooling fan + wire. (I need to draw all this up for my future reverence.)

I haven't connected in a vehicle speed signal and it doesn't seem to matter at the moment.

Edited by kiwishooter
  • Like 1

For brakes I fitted EA82T disc brakes to the rear and front and used a EA82T master cylinder.

The steering is power steering rack from a Brumby and as the Legacy power steering pipes run along the intake manifold to the back of the motor I just had some hoses made up to connect the Legacy pipes to the steering rack. Since my Brumby was non power steer I had to change the front cross member to one from a power steering vehicle.......easier said than done as there weren't many early Subarus with power steering and a lot of them have been crushed for scrap metal.

To give me some comfort I fitted a set of Recaro seats, these are mounted on the original seat rails but with a 25mm thick piece of alloy betweeen the seat and the rail, I also moved the seat outward (toward the doors) approx 20mm.

Recaro.jpg

I used the original Brumby inner joint, consisting of the inner race balls and cage, and fitted 1990 Legacy outer cage on the Brumby inner joints. This gave me large splined inner CV's that fitted on the Brumby 1/2 shafts.

What gave me the idea to do this was when I looked at the Legacy inner joint and the size of the joint looked to be the same physical size as the Brumby. I removed the boot and the wire clip from both joints and found the outer race from the Legacy joint fitted perfectly on the Brumby joint.

Others have reported this doesn't work........it worked for me.

More info on the front CV's please :)
Edited by kiwishooter

Thanks everyone it has taken a while to get this running.......especially when work comes first. But I am most impressed with how it goes, Subaru should do a Imprezza ute.

I still have a bit of electrical to do, switch for the centre diff lock, engine check light, fan relay and also have to work over the centre console as the gear lever is a bit far back and if I screw the front part of the console down I can't get it into 2nd, 4th or Rev........just a minor hitch.

A couple of other details I used an EA82 clutch cable and an Imprezza accelerator cable......the impreza inner cable was lengthened 30mm. Accelerator pedal had the Imprezza cable end welded onto the Brumby accelerator pedal.

Kaz, That's what I was aiming for......some people have looked under the bonnet and think it's original (not Subaru Junkies obviously..:grin:)

I still want to get a alloy rear rollbar made and a front nudgebar, plus I want a cover for the deck instead of running around with the canopy on the back.

140km of round town running and the fuel gauge is down to 3/4, depending on how the guage reads it might even be econimical, but I will wait and see how many km's it does before I have to fill the tank again.

my one running around town uses about 13 to 15 liters of LPG per 100k...depending on how i drive.

and thats with the RX 'box with its tall gears so you might get a bit better economy with the Legacy box if it has better ratios in 1st-2nd-3rd

plus you should use less than i do due me being on LPG an you on petrol

140km of round town running and the fuel gauge is down to 3/4, depending on how the guage reads it might even be econimical, but I will wait and see how many km's it does before I have to fill the tank again.

Its a lighter car by far than the legacy that motor came from. That motor is putting up very little effort to get it to move so i would not be surprised at all if u were getting somewhere in the 35mpg range. Awesome job you did. Love the slotted alloys and the color :).

It's the original colour and only the second Brumby I have seen in this colour......the other one was owned by my brother who bought it new and still had it when I first met him.....he sold it shortly after I met him.

Just wish I could find a straight bonnet as the one on it has humps and hollows all over the place, which was why is was painted matt black. Although the black is growing on me.

I also have a set of original white spoke wheels, these have a good set of off road tyres on them and came with it when I bought the Brumby.

Black hood doesnt look bad on it. That color is the same color as my current sedan. I wasnt a terribly big fan of it until i owned it and realized it is the BEST at hiding dirt. My car can be dirty as all hell and still look clean. Its a great color. Assuming your brumby is an 83?

Yes it is a '83, the first of the sport utes that came with white spoke steel wheels, rev counter, oil & water guages and the twin sun roofs. I've even got a book at work that tells me what they sold for new......can't remember off the top of my head but I've seen a couple on Trademe (local auction site) that people have been asking around $10k for which is around what they sold for new.

Looks awesome, well done.

Will have to visit you Dunners subie guys when I'm down there next.

Yes they are standard Subie pattern. They are Aunger Trident mags, I also have one Cheviot mag the same as this

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/wheels/Cheviot-13-alloy.jpg

Do you want the cheviot?

I have 4 of them awaiting tyres, would be cool to have a matching spare.

Also do you know where to get the nuts for them?