Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 GT starter sometimes makes no noise when U turn the key. Not even a click.

When the starter does turn it is just fine.

A search revealed that it may be the starter contacts. Do the experts here concur? I need to know because it VERY cold outside where I will have to do the work.

Why don't these things happen in the summer?

Another possibility is the connector from the ignition switch into the harness. Usually a pink or white plastic connector about 6 inches from the ignition switch. You'll have to remove some of the plastic shroud under the steering column to see it. The tip off is that if it has a poor connection on one of the wires, it will heat up the plastic and turn that area brown or black. Contact cleaner will likely be a temporary fix; permanent fix is a new cable harness....very cheap at the pull a part yards. Hopefully this is it since it's warmer fixing this than removing the starter and checking the contacts.

My 98 GT starter sometimes makes no noise when U turn the key. Not even a click.

When the starter does turn it is just fine.

A search revealed that it may be the starter contacts. Do the experts here concur? I need to know because it VERY cold outside where I will have to do the work.

Why don't these things happen in the summer?[/quote

No,since there is no click,the solenoid is not working and the contacts do not do anything.

Could be bad ign. switch as suggested or bad stater brushes.

Solenoid pull-in coil recieves current thru the brushes so if they are bad,no click.(recently had the same problem).

If it works when you jump the solenoid terminal to the large battery wire on the starter,ign. switch,nuetral safety switch or clutch switch are likely culprits.