Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove Power Steering Pump Reservoir

98 Subaru Outback. 2.5L.

My power steering pump is leaking. Based on the forum research, it seems like it is the o'ring between the pump and the reservoir - it is dripping from where reservoir meets the pump.

I am trying to remove the reservoir WITHOUT removing the entire pump, but no luck. I did get the bolt in the back (away from the pulley) that seems to hold the reservoir. However, I can't pry the reservoir off.

How does one remove the reservoir only to replace the O'ring or do I have to remove the entire pump?

Subaru has a rebuild kit for the P/S pump (actually two depending on how extensive a rebuild you want to do). Oddly enough, neither kit has a replacement bearing. Apparently that never fails since it is always submerged in fluid. You should check to see that you're not overfilling the reservoir since that will cause it to leak out the cap.

Thanks. Will post the ring size when I get to it!

I am planning replacing Part 55 in the diagram below...I wonder what "replacement bearing" you are talking about.

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/diagrammatics/power-steering-pump-oring-96.gif

I am not overfilling the reservoir, I looked in after 6 odd months and it is getting empty!

Edited by bearbalu
Update

Okay, I did it.

Here is the info:

1. The bolt inside the reservoir is 12mm. Need a 6 inch extension to get to it.

2. My O-ring was shredded - just some scraps I could find ! So I had to just match based upon the space for O-ring.

3. The O-ring seems to be 3/4 of inch (to be more precise inner diameter is 5/8, outer is 7/8 and center to center is close to 3/4, with ring being 1/8 or slightly more). The ring is probably in metric. I had a ring lying around from my previous subaru work, so I didn't shop for it.

4. See the attached pics for the O-ring side on Power steering and the reservoir flipped upside down. Note that there is only one bolt.

5. Getting to the back bolt away from the pulley that holds the reservoir is a little painful. I just used a 12mm wrench.

post-8024-136027637885_thumb.jpg

post-8024-13602763789_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I tried using the o ring as described above because my o-ring was totally gone. The leaking continued to occur. I ordered the part through the dealership and it was much smaller than the one shown filling that outer ring. It fits around the fitting coming out the the reservoir and seems to have stopped the leak. The o-ring which is part #34427AA060 and cost me a whopping $1.32 in Hawaii. Cost of living in paradise!

Edited by Wawaenui
I am unable to post pictures

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just did this to my '98. There is apparently no o-ring in that grooved slot on the pump itself, only an o-ring around the reservoir nipple. There was no evidence that the larger o-ring had ever been present, so I just replaced the o-ring on the reservoir. I used one with a 10mm ID.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Opened it up.. you can kinda see it but might be hard but it's the white looking part.. I looked at the FSM and whatever that part is I don't see anything like that in the tank.. having said that with hardly anything showing the PS works like normal..

IMAG0687.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

• 2 years later...

1-3-2- 4, The white piece that is round is a Nylon washer that goes on your tank bolt on the inside. I just dissasembled mine and it's worn at an angle. I will replace that along with the 2 o rings that are between the reservoir and the pump. One ring part 34427AA060 I got from the dealer. But there is another oring on mine that is larger and in the grove on top of the pump that several people have commented on above. Apparently some don't have that oring. Bearbalu has a good picture of the second oring on the pump itself. The smaller one actually mounts on the reservoir where it goes inside the pump.

Edited by d-hunter1